S&W AR 15-22 Volquartsen .22 cal barrel?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
mikeAZ
ArizonaShooting.org Member

S&W AR 15-22 Volquartsen .22 cal barrel?

Post by mikeAZ »

Anyone got/shot one of these? Ruger or S&W ... I see a few on Ruger 10-22's. Do they enhance accuracy enough to justify their $300 price tag?....I use only CCI Blazer or CCI mini Mags. Not match grade ammo. I can see carbon fiber would help with weight and quick pointing, but $300?. I recently shot my buddy's 10-22 (mostly a Volquartsen gun) with that barrel using CCI Mini mags... Very easy pointing and shot my best time ever in "steel" plate competition. I do pretty good with my S&W AR 15-22, I'm adding the scope that he uses on his 10-22... Maybe that's the secret???..better scope?..... We will see. Mike

laabstract

Re: S&W AR 15-22 Volquartsen .22 cal barrel?

Post by laabstract »

I have a full Volquartsen upper on my MK4 Pistol it is simply amazing, but not really worth it unless you are putting the factory barrel to its limits. If you do compete and are getting better splits then I would say that there is a clear benefit to upgrade but is the benefit worth $300? That's a question only you can answer.
Steve_In_29

Re: S&W AR 15-22 Volquartsen .22 cal barrel?

Post by Steve_In_29 »

For steel plate competition probably not worth it as far as improving accuracy goes. Not that it won't improve it, just that you don't need it so much as you are hitting plates and not trying to put multiple rounds through a single hole.

Where it might help is in how a lighter gun is easier to maneuver and push towards the next target without over swing.