Henry Releases New Side Gate Rifles with Standard Removable Magazine Tube

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Miker12
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Henry Releases New Side Gate Rifles with Standard Removable Magazine Tube

Post by Miker12 »

Being a big fan of levers, once the 45 LC comes out, so does the credit card!

Henry Releases New Side Gate Rifles
They are the company's first lever guns with loading gates in addition to a removable magazine tube.

By David Maccar
April 26, 2019

Henry Repeating Arms unveiled its very first lever action rifle with a loading gate. BUT, it also has a removable magazine tube, like most other Henry lever guns, making it unique.

You can have the best of both worlds. You can quickly load and unload a full magazine tube's worth of ammo when necessary without having to work the action to eject every round, and you can use the loading gate to top of a magazine tube when you need to without removing the tube.

https://www.range365.com/henry-releases ... te-rifles/

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/side-gate-lever-action/
Attachments
henry.jpg

Crippledtrigger

Re: Henry Releases New Side Gate Rifles with Standard Removable Magazine Tube

Post by Crippledtrigger »

No Side gates were Henry's big stumbling block. Once you go past a plinker having no side gate really makes a lever useless as a tool.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I'm pretty much stuck on my pre-safety Marlin,.... but, if I were to but new, today, it would be a Henry.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Crippledtrigger wrote: May 18th, 2019, 5:13 pm No Side gates were Henry's big stumbling block. Once you go past a plinker having no side gate really makes a lever useless as a tool.
Only a stumbling block IF you let it be. And only a Luddite mentality would go as far as to be useless without it. My levers are not uber tactical rifles requiring lightning fast reloads or easy mag top off.
And I have been around Levers long enough to have seen some failures and issues revolving around that very loading gate. Loading tubes have certain pluses , if you take the time to learn them.
I have Levers made by all makers and Henrys are my "new" gun of choice. Would a loading gate make it more flexible , sure . But not a make it a deal breaker either way.

Folks are so hung up on loading tubes they never seem to notice the other things Henry does not have.
Henry has NO silly microgroove rifling.
Henry has NO silly safety, does not need it . They have a transfer bar hiding in side the action.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I am not a big lever action fan unless it comes to 22's then I really like them.
I have lot's of lever action 22's.
As far as other calibers go , I will take an old Marlin over any other lever action out there.
I wouldn't own one with the stupid safety they put on them now days.
Henry makes good guns but I have never been a fan.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

I believe one of the fastest growing segments for lever actions is in Cowboy Action shooting and the lack of a loading gate will hinder the competitor there.

Have there been any rumors of Henry adding the gate to pistol caliber rifles? I know for a fact if they did so my friend would buy one in a heartbeat as he is looking to start CA shooting and loves his Henry .22.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

needsmostuff wrote: May 20th, 2019, 6:12 am
Only a stumbling block IF you let it be. And only a Luddite mentality would go as far as to be useless without it. My levers are not uber tactical rifles requiring lightning fast reloads or easy mag top off.
And I have been around Levers long enough to have seen some failures and issues revolving around that very loading gate. Loading tubes have certain pluses , if you take the time to learn them.
I have Levers made by all makers and Henrys are my "new" gun of choice. Would a loading gate make it more flexible , sure . But not a make it a deal breaker either way.

Folks are so hung up on loading tubes they never seem to notice the other things Henry does not have.
Henry has NO silly microgroove rifling.
Henry has NO silly safety, does not need it . They have a transfer bar hiding in side the action.

Awww needsmostuff,... I was with you all the way until you had to show your ignorance. Obviously you have either, never had a micro groove Marlin, or, you had one but never learned how to deal with them. My pre-safety Marlin336 in 444 holds 3 inch groups at 150 yds all day long. But I hand load for it! I won a new edition Marlin model 60 in 22lr with micro groove barrel (AzShooter raffle) and it puts a full mag in one ragged hole, mag after mag, all day long! And the bore is as clean when I finish, as, when I started!

The old advertisements on Marlin's micro groove barrels stating they are easier to clean, better at sealing gases for more velocity with substantial increase in accuracy due to less deformity of the bullet,... are true to this day,... but you do have to go the extra mile to enjoy those attributes, imo! Well, from my experience, some you do have to go the extra mile, and some you don't,... just like any other rifle I have loaded for

Now, if you want to talk about something silly, let's talk about case ejection through the top of the receiver, rather than side ejection,... now that is some silly stuff. :whistle: Personally, I like both, but, Winchester eventually did succumb to the scope mounting dilemma by releasing their angle ejection, AE model. Many have commented on Winchesters potential issues such as top ejected cases falling back into the open action, or being thrown into your face, and the silly claim that dirt could fall into the action, imo. But, I have never experienced any of those problems, with any Winchester I owned.

I like the original Henry with the original sliding tube feed system,... like most of the tube fed 22 lever actions today. I liked the clean look of that first model so much I removed my front grip panel on my Marlin, and like it OH SO MUCH MORE!!! Henry has a lot going for it, and now, I think having the option, on these new Henry's, really is the best of both worlds for a tube fed weapon.

Bottom line, I like'm all, but have down sized to only a Marlin now,... to each their own, imo,... that's the wonderful thing about having choices!!!
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

shooter444 wrote: May 20th, 2019, 8:21 am I was with you all the way until you had to show your ignorance. Obviously you have either, never had a micro groove Marlin, or, you had one but never learned how to deal with them.
Well , maybe I could have been a little more definitive about my beef with microgroove.
To assume my ignorance or that I have no microgroove Marlins and have never taken the time to "learn" them highlights the classic definition of the word ass/u/me.
I got a stack of levers, some Marlin ,some Winchester, some Henry.
I do reload for all of them so lets kick that outta the assumption pile also.

Microgroove in 22s ,no problem . Cleaner ? better? I doubt it. ALL 22s shoot well , it's an inherently accurate cartridge. Many completely shot out ,almost smooth bore 22s shoot very well . So in a 22 ,who cares.
Did the old ads also mention that micro groove barrels were a cheaper , cost cutting measure that they felt shot "as good as " conventional rifling. :o
My beef is CENTERFIRE with CAST bullets .
All my levers shoot jacketed bullets very well .
My non-microgroove levers shoot cast very well.
My Microgroove Marlins shoot huge patterns with cast.
I require my levers, when called upon to do so, to be able to shoot cast.

Next , let me , preemptively say .
I know all interweb wisdom will now point out to cast bullets a couple of thousands larger and the problem goes away.
Tried some . Marginally better but not fixed and still WAY behind jacketed performance.
Anyway I do not cast myself so I require off the shelf bullets to work for me.
In Non-microgroove rifles they do.

That's kinda my beef in a nutshell.

But,,,,,So much for my resolve.
As stated I've sworn off and been swapping out microgroove Marlins but what showed up yesterday ???
A Marlin 444s ,,,,,,with microgroove .
Sheeesh, guess it will do ,,,,,,,,till something with Real rifling shows up. :whistle:
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

needsmostuff wrote: May 20th, 2019, 10:18 am
Well , maybe I could have been a little more definitive about my beef with microgroove.
To assume my ignorance or that I have no microgroove Marlins and have never taken the time to "learn" them highlights the classic definition of the word ass/u/me.
I got a stack of levers, some Marlin ,some Winchester, some Henry.
I do reload for all of them so lets kick that outta the assumption pile also.

Nah, not really,... there are reloaders,... and then there are reloaders. If you reloaded for the micro groove and didn't get any satisfaction, my ASSUMPTION is you either had a bad rifle, or, you didn't do it right. I figure, if I eventually got great results,... anyone can!

Microgroove in 22s ,no problem . Cleaner ? better? I doubt it. ALL 22s shoot well , it's an inherently accurate cartridge. Many completely shot out ,almost smooth bore 22s shoot very well . So in a 22 ,who cares.

Well, I don't own a non micro groove 22, so I really can't say how clean they stay after a few hundred rounds,... all I can state is how my micro groove 22 is as bright and shiny after a range session, as before, with a fresh cleaning.

"WHO CARES?",... really? I care and ASSUME others who are interested in hitting what they aim at are, as well. As to your opinion on 22 rimfire inherent accuracy,... again I have to question you knowledge,.... I went through 5 brands of 22 rimfire before finding the one my rifle liked.

Did the old ads also mention that micro groove barrels were a cheaper, cost cutting measure that they felt shot "as good as " conventional rifling. :o

No, never read it was cheaper, but, cheaper doesn't always mean not as good! I know a few expensive pieces that have been out shot by their cheaper clones.... and, after checking a few old Marlin ads, claiming a 20% to 25% increase in accuracy with the micro groove rifling, I have to wonder where you actually get your info,... ALL OF IT!!!.

http://oldadsarefunny.blogspot.com/2012 ... l-336.html

My beef is CENTERFIRE with CAST bullets .
All my levers shoot jacketed bullets very well .
My non-microgroove levers shoot cast very well.
My Microgroove Marlins shoot huge patterns with cast.
I require my levers, when called upon to do so, to be able to shoot cast.

All I shoot is cast lead bullets. But it takes more than just using any cast bullet. You have to slug your barrel chamber, and cast 2 or 3 thousandths over in micro groove barrels. Lube is as important with over sized cast bullets, as with all cast lead bullets, and maybe even more important than non micro groove barrels, since MORE CONTACT with the bullet is made, in micro groove barrels.

I have a personal blend I would be more than willing to share with you, if interested? I use it in the micro groove Marlin444 cal. and my cast lead bullets for 300BLK,... NEVER ANY LEADING,... JUST AS SHINY FIRST SHOT as the LAST.

Also, being that "velocity" is increased with micro groove barrels, the deviations that can happen between bullet depth, crimp pressure, powder type, case length, primer type, effecting velocity... can have even more effect in reloading for micro groove accuracy that utilizes more pressure than ballard rifling bore that allows gas to escape around a jacketed bullet, imo,... I have found that all of these can effect velocity / accuracy,.... and is something I have found that the micro groove doesn't act kindly to when not reloaded with exacting care! imo!

Next , let me , preemptively say .
I know all interweb wisdom will now point out to cast bullets a couple of thousands larger and the problem goes away.
Tried some . Marginally better but not fixed and still WAY behind jacketed performance.
Anyway I do not cast myself so I require off the shelf bullets to work for me.
In Non-microgroove rifles they do.

Glad you got the "SIZE" info about being a few thousandths over,... but, where you probably failed, as I stated above, YOU MUST SLUG YOUR CHAMBER to know how many thousandths over WHAT, you need ??? Buying commercial over sized cast lead rarely worked for me, especially with their shittty lube, designed to stay intact during shipping, not designed for proper lubrication. imo

And, then, you have to find the right weight and bullet profile for your specific barrel! Like I said, you may have loaded for the micro groove barrel, but that doesn't mean you didn't quit before getting it right.

The weird thing about my micro groove barrel, is,... my chamber, bore and muzzle dimensions are all tighter than the published figures that most folks have trouble with,... BUT, I STILL CAST OVERSIZE as should be done in any rifling type, when shooting cast. Funny thing,... I am waiting (as I write this) for a lube / sizer so I can size down some 45 caliber plated bullets, to my chosen over size diameter, and see what happens from treating plated as my cast.

That's kinda my beef in a nutshell.

But,,,,,So much for my resolve.
As stated I've sworn off and been swapping out microgroove Marlins but what showed up yesterday ???
A Marlin 444s ,,,,,,with microgroove .
Sheeesh, guess it will do ,,,,,,,,till something with Real rifling shows up. :whistle:

Hmmm, well, I kinda doubt it will work,.... at least, not until someone who knows what to do with it, has it in their hands! :whistle:

This is the first topic I can remember that I have had a contrary reply, to you, needsmostuff,... I generally agree with you on most everything,... I guess it just had to happen sooner, or later. :D
Ballistic Therapy

Marlin started doing micro groove barrels because it was faster , easier and cheaper than Ballard rifling.
With micro groove they could cut all the grooves at one time whereas Ballard rifling was cut one groove at a time.
It had nothing to do with being better or more accurate.
It was all about saving a buck.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: May 20th, 2019, 11:45 am Marlin started doing micro groove barrels because it was faster , easier and cheaper than Ballard rifling.
With micro groove they could cut all the grooves at one time whereas Ballard rifling was cut one groove at a time.

Hmmm, well, not according to all the R&D Marlin invested and then published specs about micro groove,... nor is your opinion in sync with the Marlin Ad I posted a link to. Would you please present documentation supporting your statement?

Micro Grooving was developed /released into production in the 50's,... early 50's in 22's,... later 50's in centerfire. I don't think Remington releases Marlin centerfire levers in micro groove anymore, but, I believe that is do to the original Marlin Arms Co. cut OVER SIZED micro groove barrels that created a horrible run of ignorant mouth diarrhea against it.

MICRO GROOVE is still produced in 22 rimfire, after almost three quarters of a century,... I kind'a doubt it has survived with poor shooting results,... well, at least that is how I see it.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Beyond plinking a lever rifle without a loading gate is a useless tool. Like a skill saw with a permanently attached metal cutting blade. Or an angle grinder with a permanently attached cutoff wheel. They both work and might work decently for somethings but as a tool they become useless. You might adapt to your tools short comings or not use it enough to be effected by it but that doesn't mean it's a good tool. It's a great plinker.
Once you start asking them to do other things guns need to do they become limited real quick without a proper way the feed them quickly and safely under pressure. This isnt some outlier position it's just fact. Nothing to get chapped about.
Ballistic Therapy

shooter444 wrote: May 20th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Ballistic Therapy wrote: May 20th, 2019, 11:45 am Marlin started doing micro groove barrels because it was faster , easier and cheaper than Ballard rifling.

Hmmm, well, not according to all the R&D Marlin invested and then published specs about micro groove,... nor is your opinion in sync with the Marlin Ad I posted a link to. Would you please present documentation supporting your statement?

Micro Grooving was developed /released into production in the 50's,... early 50's in 22's,... later 50's in centerfire. I don't think Remington releases Marlin centerfire levers in micro groove anymore, but, I believe that is do to the original Marlin Arms Co. cut OVER SIZED micro groove barrels that created a horrible run of ignorant mouth diarrhea against it.

MICRO GROOVE is still produced in 22 rimfire, after almost three quarters of a century,... I kind'a doubt it has survived with poor shooting results,... well, at least that is how I see it.
I never said it gave poor shooting results.
I said they did it because it was faster , cheaper and easier.
That is why they did it. It was to save a buck.
It gave good results with some ammo but that was not the deciding factor.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

shooter444 wrote: May 20th, 2019, 11:26 am This is the first topic I can remember that I have had a contrary reply, to you, needsmostuff,... I generally agree with you on most everything,... I guess it just had to happen sooner, or later. :D[/font]
And that's OK . I take no offense at differing opinions.
I too have my way of looking at it and found no reason you listed caused me rethink microgroove,,,,, for my use.
In fact almost all your logic listed enhanced and reinforced my view that they are troublesome and require special care ,research and holding your mouth just right to get them to shoot right. Steps far in excess of what I have to do to achieve success with other platforms.
Having to test that many brands of 22 ammo to get one to shoot right is a testament to your dedication but not a great endorsement for the barrel. Ultra precise casting with special blends is fulfilling in ways but unnecessary in other rifles.
Good ideas get stolen ,copied and emulated . I have yet see the premium target guns like Anshutz, Walther , Kimber or even mid level Ruger ,Savage or such even consider it an option. I will keep my belief that it is not a product based on performance but a cost cutting procedure that happened to work OK.
I may be wrong but I believe Marlin itself has given up on microgroove and it soldiers on only in the utilitarian 22s and 30-30s ,all others have returned to Ballard.
My 22s of choice are old bolt action Mossbergs but I have had my share of Marlins also .All have been dandy, fun utility grade shooters , but no more ,no less.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

[quote=needsmostuff post_id=22463 time=1558392456 user_id=180]

And that's OK . I take no offense at differing opinions.
I too have my way of looking at it and found no reason you listed caused me rethink microgroove,,,,, for my use.
In fact almost all your logic listed enhanced and reinforced my view that they are troublesome and require special care ,research and holding your mouth just right to get them to shoot right. Steps far in excess of what I have to do to achieve success with other platforms.

Obviously we are two different types of shooters, with two different goals in our shooting. I, personally, prefer to take a weapon, or a caliber,.... and explore it,... form it into what I want from it.

I'll leave it at that! :whistle:

Having to test that many brands of 22 ammo to get one to shoot right is a testament to your dedication but not a great endorsement for the barrel. Ultra precise casting with special blends is fulfilling in ways but unnecessary in other rifles.

Awww, there you go again,... I think it is pretty much common knowledge and widely published, especially with rimfire weapons,... everyone has had to experiment with at least a couple of different brands to find the one their specific weapon likes best.

Good ideas get stolen ,copied and emulated . I have yet see the premium target guns like Anshutz, Walther , Kimber or even mid level Ruger ,Savage or such even consider it an option. I will keep my belief that it is not a product based on performance but a cost cutting procedure that happened to work OK.

Hmmm,... "yet to see",... uhhh, I'm sure you have heard of GLOCK and H&K with their POLYGONAL RIFLING,.......... YES?

Do you think that polygonal isn't just a variation like micro groove,.... or, vice versa?

Do you think Gaston Glock decided on polygonal rifling because it was more expensive, or more complicated to mill!

"Polygonal rifling (/pəˈlɪɡənəl/ pə-LIG-ə-nəl) is a type of gun barrel rifling where the traditional sharp-edged lands and grooves are replaced by less-edged "hills and valleys" in a polygonal pattern, usually taking the form of a hexagon or octagon."

The above quoted definition sure sounds kind'a close to micro groove rifling, to me.

"Image result for what is micro groove rifling
One purpose of Microgroove rifling was to increase the speed of producing rifle barrels. ... Marlin introduced Microgroove rifling in their .22 rimfire barrels in July 1953, with 16 grooves that were .014" wide, and nominally .0015" deep."

I may be wrong but I believe Marlin itself has given up on microgroove and it soldiers on only in the utilitarian 22s and 30-30s ,all others have returned to Ballard.[/highlight]
My 22s of choice are old bolt action Mossbergs but I have had my share of Marlins also .All have been dandy, fun utility grade shooters , but no more ,no less.

Actually, Marlin gave up on manufacturing all together and sold out to Remington, if memory serves me.