Long Range Shooting!

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
428cj
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Long Range Shooting!

Post by 428cj »

Phillips successfully hit a steel target at a distance of 3.4 miles;
Hits 6012-Yard Target
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2019/3/5 ... rd-target/

:shock:

smithers599

Re: Long Range Shooting!

Post by smithers599 »

With that much elevation, there is no "line of sight" -- he can't look at the target directly through the scope, can he? Is there a TV screen or something on his rifle that shows the target, so he can align the crosshairs?
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Takes skill I agree but it is more like artillery fire then shooting and none of them could do it twice in a row.
redj

Post by redj »

Steve_In_29 wrote: April 1st, 2019, 10:59 pm Takes skill I agree but it is more like artillery fire then shooting and none of them could do it twice in a row.
It seems that every time you see a video like this posted on YouTube the shooter has a very high dollar gun and scope , has several spotters, shoots for half a day or more.
Then when they happen to walk a bullet onto their target they celebrate like they just accomplished some great feat , but they never do it a second time.
If you moved the target and gun to another location they would have to start all over again.
I am sure with enough ammo and time just about anyone can walk a bullet onto a target at just about any range.
All it takes is money.
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

Using it like artillery they are.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Well I got to tell you. I'm not impressed. Like others said no line of sight. He was firing blind. It took 21 shots for the forward observer to walk him in on it. So let me get this strait. He did something special by walking in basically artillery rounds into a 32x48 inch target. You got to be kidding me. That's not skill ,that's luck. It would have been neat to watch him shoot a 20mm with scope, line of sight no one else and a spotter. But putting that aside. I'm not going to beat up the OP to hard. I like the rifles.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

It's not all luck. It takes the gear, it takes practice and it takes some luck with conditions. If you guys think it's easy then go show us how it's done. ELR shooting is taking off and getting more popular. Everybody on youtube can hit "1 mile" with a 6.5 Creemore all day long if they do their part. Shooting consistantly at 1500y-2000y ain't easy. I would like to see how well most internet experts can do with all gear provided for them. Let's not s*** on other shooting disciplines. Hitting any target past 2k yards is a feat. Hitting anything (including a barn) at 6k yards is crazy.

Please feel free to show me how easy it is. Show me a 1250y first round impact on a 1 moa target. Show me 3/3 on 1500y on a 36" plate. Show me 1/10 impacts at 2500y and I will buy you a case of beer....
428cj

Post by 428cj »

redj wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 5:00 am
Steve_In_29 wrote: April 1st, 2019, 10:59 pm Takes skill I agree but it is more like artillery fire then shooting and none of them could do it twice in a row.
It seems that every time you see a video like this posted on YouTube the shooter has a very high dollar gun and scope , has several spotters, shoots for half a day or more.
Then when they happen to walk a bullet onto their target they celebrate like they just accomplished some great feat , but they never do it a second time.
If you moved the target and gun to another location they would have to start all over again.
I am sure with enough ammo and time just about anyone can walk a bullet onto a target at just about any range.
All it takes is money.
You know this HOW? Yes luck, Common Sense and Experience. Have you shot out pass 1,000 yards? Do you know about this ?Image

It starts kicking in around 750 yards. Then there is this. https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-ca ... t=imperial Just part of the tools at hand.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Delfuego wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 11:34 am It's not all luck. It takes the gear, it takes practice and it takes some luck with conditions. If you guys think it's easy then go show us how it's done. ELR shooting is taking off and getting more popular. Everybody on youtube can hit "1 mile" with a 6.5 Creemore all day long if they do their part. Shooting consistantly at 1500y-2000y ain't easy. I would like to see how well most internet experts can do with all gear provided for them. Let's not s*** on other shooting disciplines. Hitting any target past 2k yards is a feat. Hitting anything (including a barn) at 6k yards is crazy.

Please feel free to show me how easy it is. Show me a 1250y first round impact on a 1 moa target. Show me 3/3 on 1500y on a 36" plate. Show me 1/10 impacts at 2500y and I will buy you a case of beer....
Look. Like I said great gun. 416 is a great round. When I was a gunner with my 240 G machine gun I had a spotter beside me giving me correction using his bino's or spotting scope. What that guy did was like a mortar team operating. Fire for effect. He could not see his target. As soon as he starts depending on 1 or 2 or 3 spotters to bring him in to a target, it's not about the shooter anymore. A sniper looks through his scope see the target takes the shot adjusts takes another shot. The spotter tells him range and can identify targets of opportunity off his cards and ranges the target. The sniper pulls the trigger and makes the bullet count. What those guys are doing is nothing short of a full court shot and hoping the basketball goes in the net. Come on. 21 shots to get to target. Can you really tell me it's all about the shooter?
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

What I'm saying is it's not as easy no matter how you look at it. I shoot ELR and no of it's easy. Is it the be all end all? No. But for all the comments on the internet about people shitting on them, I would wager most have never shot past 300y. You also need spotters at ELR ranges. They are essentially part of your squad, they give you wind, they give you feedback, they help you shoot. These guys are not snipers and they don't claim to be. It has nothing to do with "snipers". It's a game or sport, depending on how you look at.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

If you shoot ELR then I have to ask can you see the target in your scope. I wouldn't say I'm shu!tting on then I just think when you no longer can see the target in your scope you are guessing on where it's at. When that happens then I believe are no longer a trained shooter but just a trigger puller that can take orders and hold the rifle steady.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

Where does it say they cannot see the target? The splash, sure, not gonna see that.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Ha ha ha. That's funny. You show me where they talk about seeing the target. Do you see video equipment around there somewhere. He sure the hell cant see it in his scope. You show me how he is seeing the target. In the mean time I will contact them and ask them what they were doing.
redj

Post by redj »

428cj wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 11:36 am
redj wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 5:00 am
All it takes is money.
You know this HOW? Yes luck, Common Sense and Experience. Have you shot out pass 1,000 yards? Do you know about this ?Image

It starts kicking in around 750 yards. Then there is this. https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-ca ... t=imperial Just part of the tools at hand.
Have I shot passed 1000 ? Why yes I have.
The guy barely hit a target on the top edge that was what 4 feet square and then he quit.
Just like every other youtube video of these long shots.
Sorry not impressed.
Do it a few times consecutively then he would have my attention.
428cj

Post by 428cj »

I under stand. Then try to learn the correct way to do it, if you like.