AK Stocks

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Dr Leaky
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AK Stocks

Post by Dr Leaky »

I'm considering going back to an AK rifle and am wondering about the type of stocks available. I had a Norinco underfolder years ago and liked the compactness but wasn't really impressed by the ergonomics. Now, in addition to the old school wood or plastic types there are side folders and AR-style telescoping models and probably even more. Anyone care to chime in with your preference and why? Thanks.

zold

Re: AK Stocks

Post by zold »

The Magpul Zhukov is pretty darn interesting: https://www.magpul.com/products/zhukov-s-stock But, your stock options are somewhat tied to which AK you end up going with, as there are some that fit stamped but not milled, etc.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Under folder gives most compact size but sacrifices side optics mount. The ones that fold out at a slight downward angle are a bit better ergonomically then the ones that fold out straight.

Side folder is almost as compact (and not all that new) but lets you run an optic easier and is more ergonomic once unfolded.

AR stock conversion allows rifle to easily adjust for different shooters. Not much of a worry if it's just you.

If considering restocking a rifle you need to be aware that as was mentioned, not every option fits every AK as they are not all dimensionally the same.
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

The magpul MOE stock is pretty great. It's light, cheap and comfortable. The side folding Zhukov is cool but the damn thing is heavy and I never bother folding it anyways. I usually put the magpul moe on most the aks we have or I do a Rifle Dynamics AR stock adapter. Can't go wrong with an AR stock.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

The ACE side folders are spendy, but the best in my humble opinion. However, an affordable alternative is the East German / Romanian type side folders. Not as ergonomic as the ACE, but more so than the under folders, and resilient.
40mike-mike
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by 40mike-mike »

I’d say make sure you check out all the underfolder types before you cross them off your list. Some come straight back from the receiver & some are at an angle like the Chicom UF types. The sidefolding triangle types are ok too. Like SuckMyGlock said check out the wire type side folding Romy stocks, as they can be changed out from a fixed stock n back again when you want.
Maybe shoot some various versions when spending time at the range to evaluate them, if you got buddies who’ll loan ya their rifles for a day?
Yotatrd4x4

Post by Yotatrd4x4 »

I agree with the above. Magpul zhukov is awesome but expensive and heavy. Underfolder is great for size vs weight. I prefer a fixed rear trunnion so you can use the zhukov or a wire side folder etc. Also they make some AR stock adaptors that side fold off a fixed trunnion.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

I like the folder that I can run a AR 6 position slider on
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

Yotatrd4x4 wrote: March 4th, 2019, 7:06 am I agree with the above. Magpul zhukov is awesome but expensive and heavy.
I'm building one with this right now.

-WRM
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Just my .02 but an AK with a AR M4 stock just looks dumb that Zhukov would look nice
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

It's not what it looks like it's how it feels to the user and how well his shoot placement is. I don't buy or build guns for looks. If about functionality.