Kel Tec CMR30

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
WM83
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Kel Tec CMR30

Post by WM83 »

Looking to pick up a CMR30 just thought id ask the AZS community about thoughts and opinions on this weapon.

Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Kel Tec CMR30

Post by Flash »

Haven't shot one but the reviews I've read are positive.

I know the companion pistol, the PMR30, is a very fun gun to shoot. Mrs. Flash has one she shoots all the time.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

I had the CMR. Very fun to shoot but it was super picky on how the mags were loaded. Some mags ran well and others were a jam-o-matic. Got frustrated and sold it all.
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

Same experience here. The right mag/ammo and it runs great and is a hoot to shoot. Really fun suppressed as well. If you load and shoot the mags at the range and shoot then it works well. If you load mags and they ride around in your pack or glovebox for awhile they seem to stack weird and have cycling issues. I was hoping to rely on it more as a truck Gun or bug out rifle (light ammo) but it just hasn’t performed to that level. I find me throwing my keltec su16c into that role.
All that said it’s a great range/fun rifle and I definitely don’t regret buying it.
Flash

Post by Flash »

The magazine problem really isn't a problem as long as you pay attention to how you load the magazines. The problem is that the .22WMR is a rimmed cartridge and so if you don't load them properly, you get rim lock.

The owners manual covers the loading in some detail and I've found the loading the PMR30/CMR30 magazines is a piece of cake as long as you pay attention and use a loading tool to save your thumb.

I've been loading between 3 and 6 magazines for it every week for a while now with no problems.
WM83

Post by WM83 »

thanks guys for your all the info!
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Depends on what you want to use it for,... fun time at the range, cool,... defensive work with a rim fire, not so cool, imo.
Flash

Post by Flash »

shooter444 wrote: January 31st, 2019, 4:34 pm Depends on what you want to use it for,... fun time at the range, cool,... defensive work with a rim fire, not so cool, imo.
I don't know if you've ever read the book "No Second Place Winner" by Bill Jordan, but in the book he mentions he tried to get manufacturers to make a small .22WMR revolver for him to carry as a BUG. He had a lot of faith in the round for defensive/offensive purposes.
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

I don’t think he’s criticizing the round, rather the round in a semi auto with stacked rim cartridge magazine. I personally think a .22mag hammerless 8-10 shot revo would be a great pocket ccw Gun.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

AZDESERTRAT wrote: February 1st, 2019, 10:16 am I don’t think he’s criticizing the round, rather the round in a semi auto with stacked rim cartridge magazine. I personally think a .22mag hammerless 8-10 shot revo would be a great pocket ccw Gun.
I'd buy that, if it was around $300..

I'm already in on 22mag with a couple rifles, so it's not another caliber to have on hand.