224 Valkyrie Yet

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 224 Valkyrie Yet

Post by shooter444 »

For me, shot placement and knowing a calibers limitations matters more when shooting 22 caliber hunting rounds. Knowing from first hand use, the limitation of any caliber, is the first step for me when qualifying it for any specific purpose. I load 36 grain solid copper Barnes bullets at just over 4,000FPS. At 150 yards they melt through tempered steel fence posts, I haven't tried any further, yet. With that degree of penetration, at that distance or less, I would have no hesitation taking a deer with a head shot.

Will these ;) new high tech calibers, that ballistically squeeze out everything they can, do better than the 224/5.56 ? Yeah, probably, but as the old saying goes " dead is dead". Can the ;) new high tech calibers kill out further? Yeah, probably so, but I never considered a .22 size projectile as a long distance killer of anything. Long distance paper punchers, Yeah, I can go with that.

The 224/5.56 can do everything I will ever need from a .22.

getsum

Post by getsum »

PSA now has complete Blem uppers for $349.00. Never could find what the Blem was on the ones I've seen. Too bad I just purchased a non-blem for $499.00. :angry-banghead:
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

You didnt do to bad getsum, saw another manufacture had them for $649
getsum

Post by getsum »

xerts1191 wrote: June 17th, 2018, 4:13 pm You didnt do to bad getsum, saw another manufacture had them for $649
Will be interesting when it all comes together. I will post an update when that happens.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

I think it's a good option for those in the niche, but that the niche is smaller than the marketing would lead many of us to believe. The biggest draw is the "AR/Semi-auto" piece. Sort of like .260 being a neat older cartdridge that many haven't heard of, but 6.5 Creedmore being the razor edge of current ammo R&D.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Just saw the ad in American Rifleman mag. for a Savage 224 Val. More manufactures jumping on the wagon.
Lwstarks

Post by Lwstarks »

I think besides the gun, ammo consideration has to be factored. I saw it mentioned but cheap ammo makes a gun more appealing than the latest in the latest guns and ammo
40mike-mike
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by 40mike-mike »

I almost jumped on one of these, but saw several videos of different guys trying to figure the optimum reload to keep a really good grouping & not booger up the brass.

Guess when I think about the Valkyrie, I want to know if it’s really gonna give me something my 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, 300 blk or 50 Beowulf in the AR15 builds really won’t accomplish? I mean then I go to my FN FAL or SIG 716 Patrol. Seems like I’ve got the tools to avoid the purchase.🤔
Yugmoto1

Post by Yugmoto1 »

It's awesome being an American. I don't have to sell one rifle to mess with another. Unless I want to. I think the Valkyrie will kind of extend the range of a 22 cal AR, which will be interesting. The 5.56 is great, and I'm not giving one up to build a .224. But, so far it looks like the 224 will give more range and a heavier bullet, which is kinda what I wanted out of a 22 cal rifle without messing with 22-250 etc. I still have other rifles that will do all sorts of things, I plan on building another Grendel because I like it too. If the Valkyrie sucks, I'll turn it into something else, it's just an AR.. For larger caliber stuff I never really look to the AR platform, I really prefer my bolt action rifles, If I want that kind of power that's the way to go. For me. I wouldn't invest in a 224 bolt gun, but an AR? Why not?
It's our Constitutional right to be awesome, so do it however you want to.