Armalite AR10B

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
safado
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Armalite AR10B

Post by safado »

Just like Beta lost out to VHS.. I have a Armalite AR10 "B".. for those that don't know these are very little parts that can be swapped with the current Ar10s out there.. the B uses a modified M1A mag, as an example... Anyway, just curious if there were any aficionados of the older AR10s that would give some guidance as to where and what I maybe able to ask for the one I have that I'm considering selling? I remember decades ago a forum on AR-10s..

BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Armalite AR10B

Post by BigNate »

I have an Armalite AR-10T (the heavy barrel "Target" version). Fantastic gun - uses the M1Aish magazine. If you plan to sell it - I'd look at what sold on GunBroker - and maybe TrueGunValue.com - although what I see there looks lower than what I would have expected.

https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/Armalite ... ical-value

If the market is as low as I'm seeing there - I might be interested in it... I can share magazines... :-)

If you have questions about function etc, you might ask over at 308AR.com - there's a bunch of old knowledge there. https://forum.308ar.com/
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

The Armalites were designed and manufactured back in the mid-90s, when the AR10 was essentially defunct and collectible samples from the 60s were all that was available. Stoner had started making their SR25 reborn AR10, and had utilized the original magazines, which were not easy to come by at all, and no one was making new ones yet. So when Armalite decided they wanted to market a more affordable AR10 for the modern age, they faced either using original and expensive AR10 mags that were in very short supply, or developing new tooling for making new AR10 mags, or adapting an existing magazine for affordability's sake.

Thus, with cheap Korean M-14 mag copies available, Armalite decided to merely contract a version of those, which was the most affordable option at the time.

Not long after that, DPMS decided to compete in this game as well. But by the time DPMS got involved, demand for genuine AR10 pattern mags from Stoner customers who had gone with the SR25 was so high that even DPMS had been approached about manufacturing them. So when DPMS jumped in, they not only did so while designing their variant to take the original mags, they also began to source newly made ones as well. Not long after that Magpul came up with theirs.

As we have seen over the years, just about all the makers of AR10-type rifles have gone with the "DPMS-pattern" lower receiver design. (A few out there went with the Armalite-type of "slant-back" receiver, but even those all went with the original magazine pattern.)

And so nowadays, the Armalite versions are kind of oddballs and not similar enough to the others to be able to utilize any parts commonality. (Not that there is much between all the others to begin with.) Now the modified M-14 Armalite mags are harder to find and cost more than the ones everyone else is using,...and that more than anything else is what impacts the price and values on the Armalites in my humble opinion. They are decently made guns. But if I have to spend more money to get mags for them, that will affect my decision to get one vs. another option.
DPMS-vs-Armalite.jpg
AR10 magazine comparison.jpg
AR10 magazine comparison.jpg (6.86 KiB) Viewed 196 times
Last edited by Suck My Glock on April 20th, 2024, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

Good summation.

I picked up an AR-10 at a local shop shortly after the 2008 election and was astonished at the weight.

Ended up buying a DPMS lower and diving into the build-your-own universe.
Still modifying and tweaking it all these years later. Still weights at least 2lbs less than Armalite's.
Only negative so far is the receiver rail height change complicates handguard selection.
coltnut

Post by coltnut »

Had an Armalite AR10T with a pile of converted M14 mags,gave it to my brother a few years back.
He loves the dam thing.

I have a Rock River AR10 that uses FAL mags,runs good with good accuracy.
Have a Windam AR10 that uses SR25 type mags,things is still unfired.Somewhere buried in safe.