AR pistol or SBR with folding mechanism

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
campinginaz
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AR pistol or SBR with folding mechanism

Post by campinginaz »

I spoke with someone that has an AR pistol or SBR (can't remember which) with a folding mechanism. He said it worked well and had no issues.

I'm thinking of assembling an AR pistol with an 11.5 inch barrel in 5.56 and I'd like it to be compact without losing reliability.

Anyone have one of these? Which ones are good? Which ones should I stay away from? I'd prefer a separate mechanism rather than a lower with a built in folding mechanism.

QuietM4

Re: AR pistol or SBR with folding mechanism

Post by QuietM4 »

Law Tactical. Everything else is a poor copy.

I've installed dozens of Law folders over the years, and they are nicely built contraptions. All the other knock-offs are cheaply made with inferior materials.
Last edited by QuietM4 on January 26th, 2024, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

QuietM4 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 5:46 pm Law Tactical. Everything else is a poor copy.
I'll look onto that thank you! Do you use one by chance? Ever have an issue?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

campinginaz wrote: January 26th, 2024, 5:48 pm
QuietM4 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 5:46 pm Law Tactical. Everything else is a poor copy.
Do I use one? No. Why add more parts and complexity to the system? All AR's are takedown rifles...just pull the pins.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

QuietM4 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 5:49 pm
campinginaz wrote: January 26th, 2024, 5:48 pm
Do I use one? No. Why add more parts and complexity to the system? All AR's are takedown rifles...just pull the pins.
I'm thinking more of quick deployment and conceal ability for SHTF and not walking around with a full size rifle. Just something I'm thinking about, not sure I'll do it.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Do you often find yourself in situations where you need a concealable rifle? Why are you walking around where people can see you in a SHTF situation?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I love when people contemplate all the Mad Max scenarios they are going to be in when "SHTF". You'll either be dead within 2 weeks (or less) due to lack of food/water, or someone with a suppressed long range rifle (me) is going to shoot you from 500 yards, then wait until dark to go scavenge your stuff. And I'll be sure to strip your folding rifle for parts (BCG, trigger, mags, ammo) and destroy the rest of it.

Your money is best spent on ammo and training.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

QuietM4 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 6:03 pm Do you often find yourself in situations where you need a concealable rifle? Why are you walking around where people can see you in a SHTF situation?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I love when people contemplate all the Mad Max scenarios they are going to be in when "SHTF". You'll either be dead within 2 weeks (or less) due to lack of food/water, or someone with a suppressed long range rifle (me) is going to shoot you from 500 yards, then wait until dark to go scavenge your stuff. And I'll be sure to strip your folding rifle for parts (BCG, trigger, mags, ammo) and destroy the rest of it.

Your money is best spent on ammo and training.
If you had to hoof it in a bug out situation. I have lots of training and ammo, just thinking of other things. It's just something to think about over a full size rifle (which I would rather have overall). I don't think I would be dead in 2 weeks (or at least I hope not). Thanks for the input, for the price of the Law Tactical I will probably just stick with a brace or stock if I SBR one.

Also with a 16 inch AR 500 yards can be done with iron sights. :)
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

The Law Tactical the way to go. It's a solid device. All the other clones I've installed are too loosely fitted, fold too easily - last thing you want is a floppy stock!, or too light on materials used. The Law is the best.

I can put my 12.5" sbr in a backpack also...broken apart...a 16" is no problem either. But, if I ever find myself in a situation where I need a rifle, it's too late to get it out of the bag already, regardless if it has a folding stock or not. If I have time to stop and take it out, it doesn't matter if I deployment takes 10 seconds or 45...you have time.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

Second the law folder all others fail in comparison.

However im also in agreement they are not really needed but if you have to have one get the law folder
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

QuietM4 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 7:32 pm The Law Tactical the way to go. It's a solid device. All the other clones I've installed are too loosely fitted, fold too easily - last thing you want is a floppy stock!, or too light on materials used. The Law is the best.

I can put my 12.5" sbr in a backpack also...broken apart...a 16" is no problem either. But, if I ever find myself in a situation where I need a rifle, it's too late to get it out of the bag already, regardless if it has a folding stock or not. If I have time to stop and take it out, it doesn't matter if I deployment takes 10 seconds or 45...you have time.
Good points here for sure. Can't get a rifle out of a bag in an emergency! I've heard people say they could tuck or would try and tuck an SBR type rile on a sling under a jacket etc.

If it's in a backpack you would have to use a pistol for quick defense.

If I were to get a folding mechanism it would probably be Law Tactical. I'm an odd one when it comes to spending money. I can afford it, just not sure I want to spend $200+ on it for what it is. Hell I'm not even sure I'm going to to a pistol AR or an SBR but it might be a nice addition.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

As long as you're spending money, I'd check out the PSA Jakl. You can buy a complete pistol, and SBR it. Or, if you already have an SBR'd lower, the upper can fit on any standard AR15 lower, with a simple adapter kit. Folding stock, and you can fire it all you want with it folded.
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

I can second (or third) a few points here. The Jakl is excellent as is the Law Tactical folding adapter.

I carry a pistol always but in some situations I do carry a rifle in a discreet case, with a folder and QD (Dead Air Keymo) attach for the can. I bring that with me frequently when either situations or destinations make it prudent. Never needed it and hope I never do, but during the riots etc and the places I go... yeah, i wanted a rifle.

If you go ahead with the setup in your original post, you'll find yourself carrying a rifle (in a discreet case) far more often than you otherwise would. And having the rifle is the biggest benefit. Don't let anyone tell you they're going to snipe you from 500M. The 2024 PHX MSA population is estimated at 4.8M people so the odds of you two running into each other is nearly non existent, and someone else's setup should not impact yours. Defend yourself and your family as you see fit. Personally, my setup works, I keep it together in the case and it comes with me often. My pistol is for immediate defense, but that rifle in a discreet case was, and is, a comfort and I can walk anywhere with that case without raising any eyebrows, which is the whole point.
Limper
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Limper »

Just bought a Gen 3 Keltec Sub2000 and took it to the range yesterday to sight it in. Not an AR or rifle caliber so it doesn't really address your question about adding capability to your existing rifle. But it is a folder that is now (Gen 3) designed to fold with an optic attached. I didn't buy it for SHTF but for something light and handy that brings more capability to hit further out than a pistol that I can still carry discreetly. My Gen 2 Sub2000 without the accessories even fits in a small camelback water pack. And both of them uses the same mags and ammo as my pistol. Weapons and gear are tools meant to fill your personal needs. My two cents is about comfortably and efficiently carrying something that extends my capability to deal with "issues" effectively out to 100 yards while being logistically simple and relatively inexpensive.

I plan on posting a range report in an existing Kel Tec Sub2000 Gen 3 thread in the Rifle Forum so I won't duplicate effort here.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Gatsby wrote: January 27th, 2024, 5:17 am
I carry a pistol always but in some situations I do carry a rifle in a discreet case, with a folder and QD...

If you go ahead with the setup in your original post, you'll find yourself carrying a rifle (in a discreet case) far more often than you otherwise would. And having the rifle is the biggest benefit. Don't let anyone tell you they're going to snipe you from 500M. The 2024 PHX MSA population is estimated at 4.8M people so the odds of you two running into each other is nearly non existent, and someone else's setup should not impact yours. Defend yourself and your family as you see fit. Personally, my setup works, I keep it together in the case and it comes with me often. My pistol is for immediate defense, but that rifle in a discreet case was, and is, a comfort and I can walk anywhere with that case without raising any eyebrows, which is the whole point.
This is my thought as well. I probably won't purchase a Jakl but they do look nice. I often bring my Sub 2000 on longer trips and keep it in a backpack.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Limper wrote: January 27th, 2024, 7:58 am Just bought a Gen 3 Keltec Sub2000 and took it to the range yesterday to sight it in. Not an AR or rifle caliber so it doesn't really address your question about adding capability to your existing rifle. But it is a folder that is now (Gen 3) designed to fold with an optic attached. I didn't buy it for SHTF but for something light and handy that brings more capability to hit further out than a pistol that I can still carry discreetly. My Gen 2 Sub2000 without the accessories even fits in a small camelback water pack. And both of them uses the same mags and ammo as my pistol. Weapons and gear are tools meant to fill your personal needs. My two cents is about comfortably and efficiently carrying something that extends my capability to deal with "issues" effectively out to 100 yards while being logistically simple and relatively inexpensive.

I plan on posting a range report in an existing Kel Tec Sub2000 Gen 3 thread in the Rifle Forum so I won't duplicate effort here.
I love my Sub 2000 as well and often bring it on longer trips in a normal looking backpack. If something does happen and I'm far from home I'll have greater capabilities than my pistol. Both take the same magazines and ammo and I bring a couple hundred rounds plus what's in my pistol and extra magazines already. I agree it's not the same as a rifle caliber rifle, but it has its place for sure. They are not terribly expensive and the Gen 2s have a rebate making them very cheap right now. I don't run an optic on mine but I might if I get a Gen 3.