Kel-Tec Sub 2000 Generation 3!

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
campinginaz
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Kel-Tec Sub 2000 Generation 3!

Post by campinginaz »

I like my Gen 2 more than the Gen 1 I had. Nice changes on the Gen 3 as well.

For those that like optics, the forend rotates, they claim it's simple, and keeps your zero. I think this will be a game changer for many.

They went away from the plastic trigger, it now comes with an aluminum trigger, in the specs it says it has a 5 pound trigger pull which would be an improvement for sure. My biggest gripe is the trigger on the Gen 1 and Gen 2.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearm/rifles/sub2000/

Azrckcrawler

Re: Kel-Tec Sub 2000 Generation 3!

Post by Azrckcrawler »

Nice to see them refining the design. Might have to pick one up down the road.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Good, they finally fixed it. And got rid of all the extra magazine compatible models….which is good. Glock mags are excellent.
thom

Post by thom »

Great idea. Does anyone know what gun store has them for sale?
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

thom wrote: January 1st, 2024, 7:00 pm Great idea. Does anyone know what gun store has them for sale?
Looks like Sportsman's Warehouse might have them. I just received an email from them today (because I subscribe to too many places).

Sportsman's Warehouse
Limper
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Limper »

Well I just took my new Gen 3 Kel-Tec Sub2000 to the range yesterday and sighted it in. I have owned and used Sub2000s for quite awhile and have been very satisfied with my particular guns. I bought my Gen 1 in the summer of 2005 and even wrote a review on the old board. I won a Gen 2 at the Rocky Mountain 3 gun match in 2017. I have used them extensively in competitions off and on and placed well with them:

2009 AZ State Subgun match, 5th place overall (Gen 1)
2013 AZ State Subgun match, 1st place overall (Gen 1)
2020 AZ State PCC match, 1st place Iron Sights
2021 AZ State PCC match, 2nd place Iron Sights
2022 AZ State PCC match, 3rd place Iron Sights
2023 AZ State PCC match, 3rd place Iron Sights (AR platform)

Range report:

I fired a little over 100 rounds of 115 gr (S&B and Winchester) and 124 gr (S&B , Winchester, Speer Gold Dot +P) with no issues. 147 gr supposedly performs well in PCCs but I don't have any. I have a supply of the Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P so wanted to see how it performed with those. FYI, at close range out of a 16" barrel the Gold Dots are actually going faster than optimal for terminal performance. The bullets are designed to expand out of pistol length barrel velocities. But at longer range (100 yards) they will be going around those velocities. Whatever, that is the defensive ammo I have at the moment so that's what I fed it.

As I expected and have seen in the past precision was better with the 124 gr bullets. The Speer Gold Dots were the most accurate. I was getting ~ 3 MOA with them. I had a 1 1/2" group at 50 yards and a 3 1/2" group at 100 yards. (see picture of 50 yard group)

The trigger is aluminum and is definitely improved over the Gen 2. Supposedly breaks around 5 lbs which felt accurate. I shot my Gen 2 also and can definitely shoot tighter groups with the Gen 3 which is a combination of the improved trigger and having a Red Dot.

For me the Kel-Tec is a fun toy that also is an effective defensive tool. It expands my ability to deal with "issues" effectively out to 100-150 yards without complicating logistics. I can carry it in a small backpack and it uses the same ammo and mags as my pistol. I don't pretend it is as effective as a rifle, but I can definitely hit things with it much further than I can with my pistol. And it is easy to lug around.

I bought mine from Sportsman's Warehouse for $428 ($450 with 5% military discount)
Mine is accessorized with the following: Sig Romeo 5 optic, Surefire Micro Pro light, MCARBO QD sling attachment, Blue Force bungee single point sling. My accessories cost more than the damn firearm but I'd have them on whatever gun I carried so that's just the cost of doing business

Pictures: Sub2000 , folded, folded in bag, bag, 50 yard target
Attachments
IMG_20240126_144319011.jpg
IMG_20240126_144212084.jpg
IMG_20240126_144127758.jpg
IMG_20240126_144540742.jpg
IMG_20240126_143406683.jpg
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Limper wrote: January 27th, 2024, 8:53 am
Range report:

I fired a little over 100 rounds of 115 gr (S&B and Winchester) and 124 gr (S&B , Winchester, Speer Gold Dot +P) with no issues. 147 gr supposedly performs well in PCCs but I don't have any. I have a supply of the Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P so wanted to see how it performed with those. FYI, at close range out of a 16" barrel the Gold Dots are actually going faster than optimal for terminal performance. The bullets are designed to expand out of pistol length barrel velocities. But at longer range (100 yards) they will be going around those velocities. Whatever, that is the defensive ammo I have at the moment so that's what I fed it.

As I expected and have seen in the past precision was better with the 124 gr bullets. The Speer Gold Dots were the most accurate. I was getting ~ 3 MOA with them. I had a 1 1/2" group at 50 yards and a 3 1/2" group at 100 yards. (see picture of 50 yard group)

The trigger is aluminum and is definitely improved over the Gen 2. Supposedly breaks around 5 lbs which felt accurate. I shot my Gen 2 also and can definitely shoot tighter groups with the Gen 3 which is a combination of the improved trigger and having a Red Dot.

For me the Kel-Tec is a fun toy that also is an effective defensive tool. It expands my ability to deal with "issues" effectively out to 100-150 yards without complicating logistics. I can carry it in a small backpack and it uses the same ammo and mags as my pistol. I don't pretend it is as effective as a rifle, but I can definitely hit things with it much further than I can with my pistol. And it is easy to lug around.

I bought mine from Sportsman's Warehouse for $428 ($450 with 5% military discount)
Mine is accessorized with the following: Sig Romeo 5 optic, Surefire Micro Pro light, MCARBO QD sling attachment, Blue Force bungee single point sling. My accessories cost more than the damn firearm but I'd have them on whatever gun I carried so that's just the cost of doing business

Pictures: Sub2000 , folded, folded in bag, bag, 50 yard target
Thank you for posting! I might "need" to get one! I also had a Gen 1 not too long after they came out and I have a Gen 2 now. I bring it when I travel long distances sometimes, and I've brought it to Moab etc. Same reasons as yourself. Takes the same ammo, mags, fits in a small backpack, and more accurate than a pistol at further distances.
thom

Post by thom »

Thanks for the terrific review.
Thom
Doc

Post by Doc »

Always wanted on of these.

Great write up!
thom

Post by thom »

Limper, did you pre order, or buy locally?
Limper

Post by Limper »

thom wrote: January 27th, 2024, 11:08 pm Limper, did you pre order, or buy locally?
Thom,

I pre-ordered on Jan 2nd. It was originally supposed to arrive on Jan 11th. However, it was delayed and finally shipped on the 18th, arriving at Sportsman's on the 24th.

I forgot to post the link to the MCARBO QD socket. I highly recommend this part if you intend to use a sling. The Kel-Tec has a built in loop on the buttstock you can clamp a single point sling to, but it hangs all wrong. The QD socket clamps behind the receiver and lets the firearm hang comfortably as it should. It does add $30 + shipping = $36.90 to the cost of the weapon.

https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000 ... mount.aspx
Limper

Post by Limper »

Addendum to my range report:

Pneuby asked me to shoot the Kel-Tec from my left side the next time I went to the range to see if there were issues for a lefty as far as getting hit by brass and blow back. Went to the range today to verify zero on a rifle I'll use in a match this Saturday, and I brought the Kel-Tec with to see if there were any of the above issues. I loaded a mag with 12 rounds containing three each of Win 115 gr, S&B 115 gr, S&B 124 gr, and Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P. However I only fired the three Winchester because I was getting hit on the right cheek by specks of powder (blow back) on all three rounds. Did not get hit by the ejecting brass but the blow back would quickly get irritating for a lefty.

On a side note, I did put all three rounds in the paper plate at 100 yards shooting it with "Lightning". As one of the talented shooters who has taught me a lot has said, "There is no strong and weak hand. There is only Thunder and Lightning." :)
thom

Post by thom »

Limper, what type/brand of backpack do you have? It looks like it was made for the rifle.
Limper

Post by Limper »

thom wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 8:06 am Limper, what type/brand of backpack do you have? It looks like it was made for the rifle.
Thom,

The backpack is the Voodoo Tactical "Hydro Runner/Recon Pack". And yes I bought it because it happens to be just big enough for the Sub2K. Not made for it but happy coincidence. The current price is kinda steep ($150). I bought mine a few years ago at the Superstition Mountain Mystery 3 gun match. The Voodoo Tactical guy always shows up with new gear and sells thing at 50%. At the time the pack went for $120 so I bought mine for $60. It is well made like all the other Voodoo Tactical stuff I have. Hell I have been using the same rifle bag for 15-18 years (2-3 matches per month). It is kinda beat up but still serviceable. $150 is a bit steep for a bag but it is well made, includes a 2-liter hydration pack, and is comfortable to wear. And it fits the Sub2k just right. I'm sure the Voodoo Tactical guy will get more of my $$ next month at this years Superstition Match (Mar 15-17 @ Rio Salado). Last year I took advantage of the 50% deal and I bought IFAK and handgun bags as gifts.

https://voodootactical.com/cases-packs- ... econ-pack/

I did put a wash rag in the bottom of the backpack to cushion the Kel-tec from impacts if I dropped it or set it down hard. You can see it in the picture of the open pack in my review.
Tacticalplinker

Post by Tacticalplinker »

Well I know what I'm spending my tax return on. I've been wanting one for years. Time to stop putting it off.