AR-15's are boring

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Doc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: AR-15's are boring

Post by Doc »

Tacticalplinker wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 11:24 pm
Doc wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 11:05 pm
Specifically semi auto small arms? AR10 seems fun. Maybe get one of those coke can launchers? Tannerite?

Or are you talking a whole new game like precision 22lr?

Long range bolt gun?

Predator Hunting?

In this context, speaking specifically to anyone else who experienced a similar conclusion (becoming bored with the AR platform), and what they choose to "replace" it with.

Its use or changing calibers, adding a brace, a long or short barrel, a suppressor, etc. doesn't change anything... An M4, M16, AR-10, a AR style PCC, or whatever other flavor or variant you can conjure up is still an AR to me. That includes piston driven as well.

A Sig 556 or an Acr/Scar type rifle would be the closest to an AR alternative I'd consider.
I think I can relate. I don’t know that boring is the word I’d use to describe the feeling, but yeah, it’s not exciting and new.

I felt that a LOOONNNGGG time ago. It became less about learning my the system and more about shooting just to confirm the skills haven’t diminished. So I started shooting odd things. Soda cans really far.

Then that became the obsession. Shooting cans of soda farther and farther. Glass had to get better, turrets had to get better, guns had to get better. I had to learn new math, all kinds of s***. Cause I had to place the can out farther.

Today I went 2 for 3 at 200yds. I would have gone 3 for 3 but some excited f*** somewhere on the line shot my can. WTF?

Is 200 far? Maybe. Maybe not. For me, it was the end of the world to drop a cold bore shot on a can. Now it feels automatic. And it’s still rad to watch a sofa can explode. Cause I’m immature or something. Lol

Another fun project is subsonic ammo and suppressors. You know what, never mind. Leave that one alone. I don’t need everyone buying the components

Tacticalplinker

Post by Tacticalplinker »

What originally drew me to the AR platform is the "Lego effect" with endless possible configurations, accessories, attachments and asthetics.

As for long range, it's something I've never seriously pursued but something that has always peaked my interest. As I get older, with more physical limitations, the ability to engage a target further down range as opposed to up close run 'n gun becomes even more appealing.

But if I'm being honest, I would have no intention of going the long range route with an AR. Not sure if I'd even go with a semi-auto, I'm more of a bolt action kinda guy.
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

You need one of these, fun to shoot and as long as you have cartons of C02 tanks and BB's the fun never stops. Got one for my BD:

Doc

Post by Doc »

Tacticalplinker wrote: November 4th, 2023, 5:16 pm What originally drew me to the AR platform is the "Lego effect" with endless possible configurations, accessories, attachments and asthetics.

I'm more of a bolt action kinda guy.
Well the good news is there are a lot of pre fit barrels on the market making bolt guns the new Lego.

I got a barrel from Patriot Valley Arms, put it into a Defiance action and put that barreled action into a Bravo stock along with a Trigger Tech and it’s been a great shooting system.
Tacticalplinker

Post by Tacticalplinker »

Doc wrote: November 5th, 2023, 8:46 am Well the good news is there are a lot of pre fit barrels on the market making bolt guns the new Lego.

I got a barrel from Patriot Valley Arms, put it into a Defiance action and put that barreled action into a Bravo stock along with a Trigger Tech and it’s been a great shooting system.

Thanks for the info.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

Doc wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 8:06 pmToday I went 2 for 3 at 200yds. I would have gone 3 for 3 but some excited f*** somewhere on the line shot my can.
200 yards off hand slow fire with iron sights was the first firing position for rifle qualification. Could be a real b!tch nailing it just standing there. Target was bigger than a soda can, but wobbling around made it seem just as small.
Doc

Post by Doc »

QuangTri wrote: November 5th, 2023, 2:11 pm
Doc wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 8:06 pmToday I went 2 for 3 at 200yds. I would have gone 3 for 3 but some excited f*** somewhere on the line shot my can.
200 yards off hand slow fire with iron sights was the first firing position for rifle qualification. Could be a real b!tch nailing it just standing there. Target was bigger than a soda can, but wobbling around made it seem just as small.
Oh I’m familiar.

Make slings great again!!!
428cj

Post by 428cj »

Love the M-14's.
AZSteve
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by AZSteve »

I agree, ARs are boring. All the fuss over a .22(3) caliber bullet 😝 I’ve always preferred a .30 cal bullet and therefore prefer 7.62 stuff. I also enjoy the variety of differences you see in AKs that come from different countries. And, who can argue reliability between an AR and an AK? We all know which one will last longest in extreme adverse conditions. Not that I’ll ever put my AKs thru those conditions.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

Doc wrote: November 5th, 2023, 2:48 pm Oh I’m familiar.

Make slings great again!!!
I rigged up my M-14 sling so tight it would just sit there supported in offhand. Wrapped it around the magazine just so.
Almost felt like cheating it got so steady. But, the DI's were always screaming at us to tighten up the sling, so.......
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

IMG_7611.JPG