AR-15's are boring

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Tacticalplinker
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AR-15's are boring

Post by Tacticalplinker »

I built my first AR-15 over 10 years ago and built several after that. In fact, I never bought a single factory made AR-15.

But over the years I've sold and traded them all away, getting rid of my last AR in late 2022.

It might be blasphemy, especially with the AR platform being the mascot for both pro and anti 2nd amendment media in all its forms...

But I'm bored of AR's. I don't care what flavor, model, caliber, length or style they come in or what accessories are attached. Yeah they look cool, but I feel absolutely nothing when I see one. No excitement, no interest whatsoever.

Anyone else out there agree? What have you found to replace the excitement you once felt about the AR platform? I'm not sure what else is out there, what might capture my attention.

I've been thinking a lot about the AK platform lately. I had a WASR 10/63 that I refinished about 10 years ago and it's the only gun I actually regret selling or trading. But I also know the AK landscape has changed since then.

Razai

Re: AR-15's are boring

Post by Razai »

I always have at least one AR, but years ago my son and I got into Tavors, and those are now our go-to rifles.
Tacticalplinker

Razai wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 8:36 pm I always have at least one AR, but years ago my son and I got into Tavors, and those are now our go-to rifles.
Have to be honest, I'm not a bullpup guy. Never have been. I personally think they're ugly and look stupid...

But, I've never shot one either. Doubtful, but maybe shooting one would change my mind.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

I'd try out an AK again, they are a blast to shoot! If you like 5.56/.223 maybe a Ruger Mini 14? M1 carbines are fun but it's a less common caliber so it's more expensive to shoot.

I've never tried a bullpup rifle but maybe you can try one just to see if you might like it. I agree the look is not something I'm into either though.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I will respectfully disagree with both of you to your original point.

I've built plenty of AR platform guns. If I get board with it, I simply build one in a different caliber...they are not all 556...

Bullpub. Well, I'd sooner own a Subaru than that config.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Oh I forgot about the FN FAL. I only shot one once but it's a nice one!
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

I've built and bought plenty of ARs. Changed calibers and always find my way back to 223/556 and 308. If I get bored I change an optic, an upper, a lower, whatever I want to suit my fancy. Currently has several short mid and long at platforms.

I have a tavor, I like it but it doesn't replace the easy of use of an AR.

The gun I had that I miss most was my cz bren. It's very similar to the ar bit different enough it may fit your bill. I recently picked up psa's new jakl and can't wait to try it out. Reminds me midly of the bren.

I've never been an AK guy. I like the accuracy I can get out of an ar and the ease of changing everything about the gun. AK just doesn't do that for me.
Tacticalplinker

My father had a Ruger Mini-14. It was a fun gun to shoot, but I absolutely hated the magazines. Not sure if they have improved or if there are after market options now, it's been many years...

As for the M1 carbine, I've never been able to find a decent one for a price I'm willing to pay or afford. If I remember correctly, there are some re-productions but I'd have to look into that.

I remember seeing a .22LR version. In fact, my father put an M1 carbine "kit" onto his Ruger 10/22.

Along the same lines, I was thinking of an M1-A, but I remember those being really expensive, especially the SOCOM version. Also heavy, if memory serves.

I had a buddy with a FAL. Cool gun, but only got a chance to shoot it once and it's really heavy. No idea what they cost these days.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Tacticalplinker wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 8:21 pm
Anyone else out there agree? What have you found to replace the excitement you once felt about the AR platform? I'm not sure what else is out there, what might capture my attention.
Specifically semi auto small arms? AR10 seems fun. Maybe get one of those coke can launchers? Tannerite?

Or are you talking a whole new game like precision 22lr?

Long range bolt gun?

Predator Hunting?
Tacticalplinker

Doc wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 11:05 pm
Specifically semi auto small arms? AR10 seems fun. Maybe get one of those coke can launchers? Tannerite?

Or are you talking a whole new game like precision 22lr?

Long range bolt gun?

Predator Hunting?

In this context, speaking specifically to anyone else who experienced a similar conclusion (becoming bored with the AR platform), and what they choose to "replace" it with.

Its use or changing calibers, adding a brace, a long or short barrel, a suppressor, etc. doesn't change anything... An M4, M16, AR-10, a AR style PCC, or whatever other flavor or variant you can conjure up is still an AR to me. That includes piston driven as well.

A Sig 556 or an Acr/Scar type rifle would be the closest to an AR alternative I'd consider.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

The AR has never " excited " me , but I will always have one handy.
brandonsmash

Post by brandonsmash »

I'm actually coming around to enjoy ARs more these days. It's nice to work with a platform that has so much built-in versatility.

I have other rifles in the safe (including an X95), of course, but there's something to be said about the modularity of an AR platform and the potential that unlocks.
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

I Guess you have never fired a full auto because that my friend is not boring 🤷‍♂️
samnev

Post by samnev »

I once hadd a pretty decent collection of mil surps sold them all off but kept my AR's which I'll never sell. :D :D
Doc

Post by Doc »

samnev wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 7:24 am I once hadd a pretty decent collection of mil surps sold them all off but kept my AR's which I'll never sell. :D :D
Can you bring them out to play? I can’t afford to own one, but I can afford to feed it a mag or two.