Are Anderson M4's any good ?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Ballistic Therapy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Are Anderson M4's any good ?

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I see Anderson M4's being advertised for right at $400.
It seems every other maker of these guns sell for quite a bit more.
Why are these so cheap ?
So what is your opinion on these guns ?

I am not looking to go to war , I was just thinking for a truck gun or something to keep in the shop or barn
that I can rely on and will work when I need it .

QuietM4

Re: Are Anderson M4's any good ?

Post by QuietM4 »

If you are comfortable with (potentially) trusting your life the the cheapest parts possible, then go for it.

I'd rather buy something from PSA, if I had the choice. I would then completely disassemble it, inspect every part, then reassemble it.

I'd be concerned that the "cheap part" tolerance stacking will lead to an increased possibility of failure somewhere in the system. Technically, the best made AR in the world has a non-zero chance of failure, but I would bet the chances of Tier 1 vs Anderson failure is exponentially different.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

QuietM4 wrote: October 13th, 2023, 3:09 pm If you are comfortable with (potentially) trusting your life the the cheapest parts possible, then go for it.

I'd rather buy something from PSA, if I had the choice. I would then completely disassemble it, inspect every part, then reassemble it.

I'd be concerned that the "cheap part" tolerance stacking will lead to an increased possibility of failure somewhere in the system. Technically, the best made AR in the world has a non-zero chance of failure, but I would bet the chances of Tier 1 vs Anderson failure is exponentially different.

For gawd's sake, quit putting FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) into these folks. Unless you're literally going to war, with a full auto, the chances of catastrophic failure is very low. I've assembled at least 50 ARs, thousands of rounds with them, and I'd trust everyone of them to save my life, including the ones that only cost me $300 to assemble.

For the OP, Andersons are fine, they'll do what you need them to do. Don't let folks try to sell you on a Mercedes if you only need a Honda.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

What Clyde said. Built several, no problems, run one of their RF-85 units (no lube) to test. Still "testing" after 5 years.... No noted problems. If you're buying the "kit", make sure you know what you are doing or have the help of someone who does. Pay attention, take your time to get it right and shoot the shiate out of it.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

blasternaz wrote: October 13th, 2023, 3:51 pm What Clyde said. Built several, no problems, run one of their RF-85 units (no lube) to test. Still "testing" after 5 years.... No noted problems. If you're buying the "kit", make sure you know what you are doing or have the help of someone who does. Pay attention, take your time to get it right and shoot the shiate out of it.
He seems to be a newbie to this, so you should have explained what RF85 is, but I will for you :mrgreen:

https://rf85.com/

Have a great,gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

I have a couple of the $399 Anderson complete rifles because they were such a good deal. I had to replace the trigger (I'm a terrible trigger snob) but they just run like they should and do what you ask. I wouldn't hesitate for a truck gun. I've only put a few thousand through each one though so I can't make any assessment of longevity. They are not my go-to but only due to personal preference for my sbr.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I'm not new to the AR platform and have one or two.

I was just curious what peoples opinion were on these guns.
CDNN Sports has them and a couple other makers of this gun.
They also have Radical Arms and Talon Armament.
I just know nothing about these makers and thought someone here would.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Gatsby wrote: October 13th, 2023, 4:18 pm I have a couple of the $399 Anderson complete rifles because they were such a good deal. I had to replace the trigger (I'm a terrible trigger snob) but they just run like they should and do what you ask. I wouldn't hesitate for a truck gun. I've only put a few thousand through each one though so I can't make any assessment of longevity. They are not my go-to but only due to personal preference for my sbr.
I don't change my triggers out, I just polish the shiate out of them. I've got two that I've polished just enough to get a binary effect. I do change out my hammer springs, I shoot a lot of steel and 7.62 out of my ARs, so they need something to hit them hard enough. I've tried a couple of drop ins but they only work with standard brass and primers.

Clyde
Last edited by kenpoprofessor on October 15th, 2023, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

While I don't have any "complete" Anderson rifles. Most of my SBRs are built on their lowers. When the lowers are on sale I usually buy 10 at a time.

GTG.
samnev

Post by samnev »

At $400 it's hard not to give one a shot, no pun intended.
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

I agree Andersons are fine however psa keeps running deals for $299 for a build kit and a $29-49 lower gets you into a complete for 350.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

LOL, fun stuff, one mans boon is anothers folley, never understood the big deal, shoot what ya brung, and live with it or not, even the high dollar pieces fail, if one was to review it they'd find that its as common as the covid strains, ya get the drift. :o
happy sunday.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Azgunlover69 wrote: October 14th, 2023, 7:00 pm I agree Andersons are fine however psa keeps running deals for $299 for a build kit and a $29-49 lower gets you into a complete for 350.
Combat Armory used to sell upper kits, no BCGCH, for $99, I bought more than I probably should have :mrgreen: Needless to say, I've got many fully assembled ARs for less than $300. With a cheap red dot that works very well, I can buy much more ammo than the guys spending so much on the gun itself and have no money to shoot it.

Have a great,gun carryin',Kenpo day

Clyde
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

kenpoprofessor wrote: October 13th, 2023, 3:27 pm
QuietM4 wrote: October 13th, 2023, 3:09 pm If you are comfortable with (potentially) trusting your life the the cheapest parts possible, then go for it.

For gawd's sake, quit putting FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) into these folks. Unless you're literally going to war, with a full auto, the chances of catastrophic failure is very low. I've assembled at least 50 ARs, thousands of rounds with them, and I'd trust everyone of them to save my life, including the ones that only cost me $300 to assemble.

For the OP, Andersons are fine, they'll do what you need them to do. Don't let folks try to sell you on a Mercedes if you only need a Honda.

Clyde
Actually Anderson receivers with someone elses name on it has been to war and came back. There are a few players that make the majority of the uppers and lowers for the entire country. Why make a few a day when you can have Anderson turn them out by the thousands with your name on it and then proceed to rape the customer saying they made it. So much fraud in the firearm industry.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Fraud is a very strong word. The correct term is "supply chain management". If another company can do it faster/cheaper/better than your company can, with the added benefit of your company not having to use capital to do it themselves, then it's a plus.

Do you think FN/Daniel Defense/Colt/etc etc etc own the mining companies that mine the bauxite, refine and smelt/forge the raw aluminum? Of course not. They buy it from another company.

Palmetto State Armory is the most vertically integrated AR manufacturer in this country. They actually do make the majority of the small parts that go into their firearms.