Problem with an 1891 6.5x52 Carcano

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
gunpoorboy1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Problem with an 1891 6.5x52 Carcano

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

Not sure what I expected for $149 off the internet, but I got what I got.

What I have is a problem with the original bayonet release switch. Historically the release switches were a problem and the original, which I have, was replaced by a push button release switch. I took the old one off and just got a push button replacement.

My problem is----it came with a screw, a nut and a spring, all that is needed. ( it also came with 3 small pcs of twine which were not shown in the ad for the switch.) However I cannot squeeze the spring tight enough to get it in the hole end of the bayonet which then attaches to the the rifle with the screw and nut. I have no idea what to do next. I don't know how to post pictures on this sight but if you text me at 602-818-6803 I will gladly send you pics of my problem.

I usually get help off this sight but this one might be a bummer.

aroyobob

Re: Problem with an 1891 6.5x52 Carcano

Post by aroyobob »

Still an issue? I haven't done it but if I was trying to compress a spring in the hole in the bayonet base and then slide the base into the barrel bracket I'd use pliers that keep the jaws parallel, like channellocks to compress the spring in the hole and keep it captured in the hole. Slide the base of the bayonet into the bracket till the pliers stop it and then get someone to tap the point of the bayonet with a hammer (with a piece of wood to protect the point,) to slide the bayonet base out of the pliers and further into the bracket till the hole (and spring) are fully in the bracket. Then tap it down till the hole(with spring) in the bayonet starts to appear in the bracket hole and put the bolt on one side and maybe stick a wooden dowel or other round object in the other side to keep the spring from flying out till the bolt can stick through the mechanism.

three types of Carcano bayonet release switches. Assuming you are wanting to switch from the lever to the button type?
aroyobob

Re: Problem with an 1891 6.5x52 Carcano

Post by aroyobob »

You could also try some tape to cover the hole on one side of the bayonet (or even both sides) to keep the spring captured while you knock the bayonet into the bracket. If the tolerances are tight enough the bracket will scrape the tape off as the bayonet is driven in.