So you are a Rifleman?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
QuangTri
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: So you are a Rifleman?

Post by QuangTri »

hairygreek wrote: August 15th, 2023, 10:15 am Looks similar but not identical. For anyone curious the USMC recently changed their qual course, its a lot more like action shooting now... which is more like combat shooting.
A good thing in my humble opinion, as long as long range shooting is not left out.
Afganistan proved that need.

The KD range was challenging, but good for the fundamentals. you could not score well without that.

Heck, I can barely get into a good prone these days.
Need a hoist to get me up from sitting or kneeling.
Getting old sucketh.

azdover

Post by azdover »

smithers599 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 7:20 pm And it's all rimfire, right?
Seems like most people use 22LR due to cost, but I think you might be able to use centerfire also. In addition to their 25 meter qualification, their website mentions Known Distance shooting out to 400 yards and a pistol program too.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

smithers599 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 7:22 pm Explain, please.
You print that page on an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper?
Use the top target for all shooting, and the little ones below are just stage descriptions? Or actual targets?
This is done with a rimfire rifle, right?
EDIT - Found a video of someone shooting it and explaining the scoring...

My read on it is this...
1 ) Meant to be shot with a rimfire rifle (I'd presume semi-auto - but who knows if they care)
2 ) Print it on 11X17 paper (AKA tabloid)
3 ) Set it at 25 yards
4 ) Sight in on the grid target in the upper right
5 ) Shoot the test
a ) Each stage of shooting is separated by the dotted lines with Stage 1 the big silhouette at the top... ending with Stage 4 the four smallest targets on the bottom.
b ) Track time for each stage.
c) Check and mark targets between each stage. Mark the score for each stage on the target. Values are doubled for stage 4 as the targets are smaller. I presume that the number of "V" hits should be recorded separately as a tie-breaker...

My 2 cents... if someone knows this process well and I'm wrong I'd like to be corrected - I'm planning to get out in the next few weeks to give this a try.
Last edited by BigNate on August 30th, 2023, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

hairygreek wrote: August 15th, 2023, 10:15 am
QuangTri wrote: August 12th, 2023, 8:01 pm is this supposed to simulate the military (USMC at least) KD qualification course?

No elevation adjustments needed, which are a large part of KD shooting.
Looks similar but not identical. For anyone curious the USMC recently changed their qual course, its a lot more like action shooting now... which is more like combat shooting.
I saw a video on this a while ago - and was glad to see that they are evolving... The course that I had to shoot to qualify in the 80s was "good" but the new qual process looks to be something much more aligned with the way the weapon will be used when fighting - and that is a good thing. Not a lot of trench warfare going on out there any more...
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

BigNate wrote: August 30th, 2023, 9:53 am
smithers599 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 7:22 pm Explain, please.
You print that page on an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper?
Use the top target for all shooting, and the little ones below are just stage descriptions? Or actual targets?
This is done with a rimfire rifle, right?
EDIT - Found a video of someone shooting it and explaining the scoring...

My read on it is this...
1 ) Meant to be shot with a rimfire rifle (I'd presume semi-auto - but who knows if they care)
2 ) Print it on 11X17 paper (AKA tabloid)
3 ) Set it at 25 yards
4 ) Sight in on the grid target in the upper right
5 ) Shoot the test
a ) Each stage of shooting is separated by the dotted lines with Stage 1 the big silhouette at the top... ending with Stage 4 the four smallest targets on the bottom.
b ) Track time for each stage.
c) Check and mark targets between each stage. Mark the score for each stage on the target. Values are doubled for stage 4 as the targets are smaller. I presume that the number of "V" hits should be recorded separately as a tie-breaker...

My 2 cents... if someone knows this process well and I'm wrong I'd like to be corrected - I'm planning to get out in the next few weeks to give this a try.
Thanks. Very helpful
That feller shoots purdy good!
Kinked_Chrome

Post by Kinked_Chrome »

Best way to test your general rifleman skills is to shoot the Black Rifle match at Rio Salado. Its the first Saturday of every month. 4-5 stages, 120sec par times and engagements from 0-500yds, sometimes all in the same stage!
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

IMG_9830.jpeg