M1 Carbine Fans - A Couple of Videos

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

M1 Carbine Fans - A Couple of Videos

Post by Old Jeff H »

YouTube's algorithm led me to a couple of videos last weekend that I really enjoyed, and thought I'd share.

This one is very educational. I learned a lot of things about a lot of thing I didn't know about, and the guy is just a pleasure to watch. Ended up subscribing to his channel, and he has a lot of good content.

I found this one is entertaining.

rbt50
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: M1 Carbine Fans - A Couple of Videos

Post by rbt50 »

HAD ONE AND SOLD IT LIKE A DUMMY
samnev

Post by samnev »

Stilll have mine :D but haven't shot it in the last 10years. :(
Last edited by samnev on July 3rd, 2023, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

Used to sell Korean re-imports for $135 out the door. Had a couple myself. Inherited one from a friend, sold the Universal I had. Neat guns, work well. Bud has a HP load that works with a Sierra bullet. Old memory, long time ago, pre '64, lumberjack used his to take deer in Oregon. And scare the shite out of idiots....
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Nice bit of trivia about the M1 Carbine and the NFA being modified;...turns out that the Short-Barrelled Rifle regulations USED to be 18 inches, just like shotguns. But after the government had already sold off surplus M1 Carbines to citizens (about 20,000 it is estimated), only THEN did the government realize they had sold SBRs to the population. Thus, to cover their own butts, the rules were amended to 16 inches from 18.

Now if the CMP will just start selling off M4 Carbines,....
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

Suck My Glock wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 8:28 pm Nice bit of trivia about the M1 Carbine and the NFA being modified;...turns out that the Short-Barrelled Rifle regulations USED to be 18 inches, just like shotguns. But after the government had already sold off surplus M1 Carbines to citizens (about 20,000 it is estimated), only THEN did the government realize they had sold SBRs to the population. Thus, to cover their own butts, the rules were amended to 16 inches from 18.

Now if the CMP will just start selling off M4 Carbines,....
Coincidentally, a good friend of mine told me about this just a couple of days ago.
Pinetop

Post by Pinetop »

My father bought one from the NRA in about 1959 or 60 as I recall. Was classified "Unserviceable" by the Army, and the NRA was liquidating them for the military. Anyway, the price was $10 (TEN $). It was unserviceable because we found that the firing pin was bad. Replaced the firing pin, cleaned it up and went to the range. I was around 11 at the time (I think), and the gun fit me then, just as well as it does now. Shot my first rabbit with that gun. Haven't shot it in about 20 years or so. Serial number shows that it was manufactured in 1943 by the Inland Division of General Motors.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

one of my favorite collection times and items, i at one time had every maker of the fabulous M1, in all configurations, but over time decided to share them with others who also appreciated them for their history and use.
i still have a couple inlands and a postal meter, figure i'll send them down the family path if'n the receivers earn them. Same with the several Garands i have, dang i love shooting that cannon.
Rj
Limper
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Limper »

I have a 1963 Plainfield and a 2020 Fulton Armory carbine with a scout rail and Choate folding stock. I won a certificate from Pro 2 Customs a while back and had the Fulton Armory carbine cerakoted in metallic colors with a touch of Conan the Barbarian (Tree of Woe & Riddle of Steel). I put a Sig Romeo 5 dot on the Fulton since I took the photos of it, and it is a very accurate M1 carbine (see target @ 200 yds photo). I recently competed on Oct 1st with my Plainfield in the Red Oktober Cold War match at Rio and placed 16th out 0f 84 competitors in the Free World Irons division. There were 8 stages with targets out to 300 meters. The minimum round count was 278 rounds and I think I fired a little over 300 rounds. It was pretty windy that day which was very tough for those long shots (approx. 40” drift @ 300 meters) with .30 Carbine. I feel pretty good about placing where I did since everyone else was shooting an AR. The carbine was very handy for the close stuff as expected.

Links: Red Oktober Cold War Match, Pro 2 Customs
https://riomultigun.com/red-oktober/
https://pro2customs.com/

Photos: Plainfield, Lt Murphy in pouch for good luck, Fulton Armory (pre-optic)
Attachments
M1 Carbine_Plainfield.jpg
Lt Murphy.jpg
M1 carbine a.jpg
M1 carbine f.jpg
Last edited by Limper on October 31st, 2023, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Limper

Post by Limper »

And a few more photos: Close up of the Tree of Woe and Riddle of Steel, Fulton Armory w/dot target @ 200 yards, three groups (5 shot, 3 shot, 5 shot)
Attachments
M1 carbine e.jpg
M1 carbine c.jpg
M1 Carbine at 200 yards.jpg
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Hey Limper,...be careful with that Choate stock. It is one of their designs that unfortunately is a bit weak. They tend to break alongside the receiver, forward of the pistol grip, right where your Tree Of Woe artwork is. I have one here as evidence. I only have it because I've reclaimed the folding mechanism for another project rifle. I'd hate to see that happen to your pretty piece. I like it.
Limper

Post by Limper »

Suck My Glock wrote: October 31st, 2023, 8:47 am Hey Limper,...be careful with that Choate stock. It is one of their designs that unfortunately is a bit weak. They tend to break alongside the receiver, forward of the pistol grip, right where your Tree Of Woe artwork is. I have one here as evidence. I only have it because I've reclaimed the folding mechanism for another project rifle. I'd hate to see that happen to your pretty piece. I like it.
I appreciate the info SMG. Thank you. I do use the carbine in practical competition but try not to abuse it. When I ordered the carbine from Fulton Armory I bought a beautiful new walnut stock for it also. Wasn't cheap but I didn't care since it was a once in a lifetime purchase. If I did screw up and break it I would be very sad, but I could at least put it back in action immediately.
trailboss60

Post by trailboss60 »

Love my Inland M1 that I got from the CMP some years back. It is a handy rifle, that seems to fit everyone well, and for the lack of recoil, it is fun to shoot for the wife. Consequently, it is her bedside rifle.
pcmacd
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by pcmacd »

The problem with the M1 & M2 in Korea was that it was so cold that the enemy wore layer upon layer of clothing which the carbine had difficulty penetrating.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

pcmacd wrote: December 13th, 2023, 4:56 pm The problem with the M1 & M2 in Korea was that it was so cold that the enemy wore layer upon layer of clothing which the carbine had difficulty penetrating.
MythBusters to the white paging phone! Mythbusters to the white paging phone!

Aw, phuk it,...general plain YouTube will do.