Which BCG coating?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
campinginaz
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Which BCG coating?

Post by campinginaz »

I didn't know there were this many coatings! What do you guys like best? I have nitride and phosphate but was looking into nickel boron.

https://www.recoilweb.com/best-ar-15-bo ... 76713.html
Last edited by campinginaz on June 18th, 2023, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doc

Re: Which BCG coating?

Post by Doc »

If it ain’t broke….buy more ammo
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Doc wrote: June 17th, 2023, 2:23 pm If it ain’t broke….buy more ammo
Lol right! But what about a new build assembly, upgrade or replacement since we have to be technical on here.
Last edited by campinginaz on June 17th, 2023, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

campinginaz wrote: June 17th, 2023, 2:32 pm

Lol right! But what about a new build?
It's not a build, unless of course you're forging or CNCing your own parts. It's an "assembly", like an erector set, the parts are pre-made and you assemble them into an operational unit.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

kenpoprofessor wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:06 pm
campinginaz wrote: June 17th, 2023, 2:32 pm

Lol right! But what about a new build?
It's not a build, unless of course you're forging or CNCing your own parts. It's an "assembly", like an erector set, the parts are pre-made and you assemble them into an operational unit.

Clyde
Ok a new assembly, upgrade or replacement, since we are being technical.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

If Robar was still around NP3, I have a few bolts coated and its great .... maybe Wright Armory.
Last edited by Tenring on June 17th, 2023, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Tenring wrote: June 17th, 2023, 4:42 pm If Rogard was still around NP3, I have a few bolts coated and its great .... maybe Wright Armory.
Robarm doesn't exist any longer; all plating business transfered to CTI, Coating Technologies Inc. However, they only do aerospace products and won't touch pistols.

Wright Armory is brining their own version of nickle boron coating to market by the end of the year...they are calling it NT-7. All work is going to be done in-house, so they can control all aspects. I've already got a list of items to bring them once they are up and running.

I have one of the BCG's from Cryptic Coatings. Carbon just wipes off...it's great.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

campinginaz wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:20 pm

The correct terms should be used, lest we sound like morons to the lefties. Let them speak in their ignorance, we should not.

Clyde
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

kenpoprofessor wrote: June 17th, 2023, 6:39 pm
campinginaz wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:20 pm

The correct terms should be used, lest we sound like morons to the lefties. Let them speak in their ignorance, we should not.

Clyde
Lol you crack me up. Thank you for correcting my word choice to someone else's response. Do you actually have anything to say about the actual topic? With over 1,600 posts I'm sure you have a lot of great knowledge to share and lots of people here say you are a great guy.

So what BCG finishes do you prefer and why?
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

campinginaz wrote: June 17th, 2023, 7:52 pm

Lol you crack me up. Thank you for correcting my word choice to someone else's response. Do you actually have anything to say about the actual topic? With over 1,600 posts I'm sure you have a lot of great knowledge to share and lots of people here say you are a great guy.

Nope, don't have anything to add other than what I did already. If it runs, I use it, if it don't, I spray some oil on it to see if it will. I rarely clean, and when I do, I get the essentials and spray some more oil. I do assemble many firearms however, but have never had a reason, other than ascetics, to change what I have already put together, unless it doesn't work. I don't do "tactifool" stuff just because.

Clyde
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

kenpoprofessor wrote: June 17th, 2023, 11:09 pm
campinginaz wrote: June 17th, 2023, 7:52 pm

Nope, don't have anything to add other than what I did already. If it runs, I use it, if it don't, I spray some oil on it to see if it will. I rarely clean, and when I do, I get the essentials and spray some more oil. I do assemble many firearms however, but have never had a reason, other than ascetics, to change what I have already put together, unless it doesn't work. I don't do "tactifool" stuff just because.

Clyde
I agree if it works there probably isn't a need to replace it. Since you assemble "many" firearms I would think you would know which BCG finish you usually purchase if you have assembled an AR-15. Or do you purchase complete uppers with the BCG?

If I was going to assemble an AR-15 by buying all individual parts and then assembling them, there are a couple of areas that I might spend a little more on to buy quality (unless I'm going for the cheapest option. I've heard/read from a few people that buying a quality barrel and BCG are important.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Tenring wrote: June 17th, 2023, 4:42 pm If Robar was still around NP3, I have a few bolts coated and its great .... maybe Wright Armory.
Thank you!
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

QuietM4 wrote: June 17th, 2023, 5:28 pm
Tenring wrote: June 17th, 2023, 4:42 pm If Rogard was still around NP3, I have a few bolts coated and its great .... maybe Wright Armory.
Robarm doesn't exist any longer; all plating business transfered to CTI, Coating Technologies Inc. However, they only do aerospace products and won't touch pistols.

Wright Armory is brining their own version of nickle boron coating to market by the end of the year...they are calling it NT-7. All work is going to be done in-house, so they can control all aspects. I've already got a list of items to bring them once they are up and running.

I have one of the BCG's from Cryptic Coatings. Carbon just wipes off...it's great.
Very nice! Thank you for your input!
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

campinginaz wrote: June 18th, 2023, 6:33 am

I agree if it works there probably isn't a need to replace it. Since you assemble "many" firearms I would think you would know which BCG finish you usually purchase if you have assembled an AR-15. Or do you purchase complete uppers with the BCG?

If I was going to assemble an AR-15 by buying all individual parts and then assembling them, there are a couple of areas that I might spend a little more on to buy quality (unless I'm going for the cheapest option. I've heard/read from a few people that buying a quality barrel and BCG are important.
Nope, no reason for me to pick and choose a coating if it functions as it should. If you can't tell the difference when it's running, and the only thing you notice is it cleans a little bit better than the cheap one, you're being pedantic, much like I am when correcting the language we should use. :mrgreen: . If you want to spend the money on higher priced "coated with whatever", do so, won't affect my skills, knowledge, or abilities one tiny bit. I can buy more stuff by not spending the $$ on something that just "wipes off" when I can spray a touch of cleaner and have a BCG just as clean.

Clyde
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

kenpoprofessor wrote: June 18th, 2023, 6:47 am
campinginaz wrote: June 18th, 2023, 6:33 am

Nope, no reason for me to pick and choose a coating if it functions as it should. If you can't tell the difference when it's running, and the only thing you notice is it cleans a little bit better than the cheap one, you're being pedantic, much like I am when correcting the language we should use. :mrgreen: . If you want to spend the money on higher priced "coated with whatever", do so, won't affect my skills, knowledge, or abilities one tiny bit. I can buy more stuff by not spending the $$ on something that just "wipes off" when I can spray a touch of cleaner and have a BCG just as clean.

Clyde
I'm actually not trying to be pedantic at all. If you have bought the parts and assembled many AR-15s then you have more experience than I do and it would be nice to learn from you. Maybe you buy the cheapest deal you can find and you have great luck, I don't know. I just don't think I would want to risk buying the cheapest BCG I can find (not saying you do).

You have posted several times in this thread and not once said which finish or brand or anything that you like. I get it, if it works it works, but that could mean anything.