Ruger American Predator 223

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
azdover
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Ruger American Predator 223

Post by azdover »

I've had a couple of bolt actions over the years - a Remington 700, a Mossberg MVP LR, and a Uintah bolt action upper on an AR15 lower. Bought them, shot them, got bored, and then sold them using my patented buy high/sell low technique.

So when I got the bolt action itch again, I thought I try something that would not break my piggy bank so much. I picked up a Ruger American Predator 223. Besides its relatively cheap price, some other plusses are it uses the same ammo and mags as my AR15s. Added a Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 FFP scope in Warne Mountain Tech rings and an Amazon cheek rest. While the rifle itself didn't break the bank, adding the scope and rings kind of bent it. They were almost double the price of the rifle itself but it was money well spent.

On the first range trip I shot it with no mods in case it had any warranty issues. It showed a lot of promise. Shooting off a concrete bench using a Harris Bipod and bags under the stock, I was able to get some repeatable one MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards with quality 69 & 77 gr ammo. Bulk 55 grain grouped around 2 to 3 inches. Might not be world class shooting for a lot of folks but I was happy - this near sighted arthritic trigger puller is normally lucky to keep his shots in the same ZIP code much less forward of his 3-9 line.

After the first range session, I made a couple of changes. The plastic factory stock is kind of flimsy. So I epoxied some 1/4" stainless steel tubes into the barrel channel while making sure the barrel was still free floating. I then used aluminum tape to shim and stiffen the mag well adapter. I also lightened up the trigger pull to just above 2 pounds using the ball point pen spring mod I found on one of the Ruger forums.

The mods seem to help. On the second range trip, my 5 shot 100 yard groups tightened up to around 3/4" with an occasional 1/2" with the quality stuff. Bulk groups were also a little tighter. Moving out to 200 yards my groups were 2-3 inches with most of that probably on me. This is the first time I've had a scope where I could really see movement due to my heart beat.

Overall, not a bad little rifle. It's going to make a great truck gun that I'm not afraid to put a few dings in.

Ballistic Therapy

Re: Ruger American Predator 223

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I have one also.I have shot it a lot and like it.
I haven't done anything to it except put a Leupold scope on it.
It a fun gun to shoot. I really like it.

I also bought a new Mossberg MVP a few years ago , and hated it.
I sold it the next day.
hrob

Post by hrob »

Thanks for posting this. I've been considering the purchase of this exact model for varmint hunting and your review may have pushed me over the edge. I like your stock improvement ideas.
azdover

Post by azdover »

The factory action V block seem very stable. It was the fore end and sides of the stock around the magwell that were sort of flapping in the breeze. The AR magwell is removable and looks like it gives Ruger a chance to use the same basic stock with a number of different caliber and magazine configurations. I might just epoxy the magwell into the stock in the future but for now it works good enough.

The Strike Eagle model I bought is fairly new and has the EBR-7C mrad reticle. Seems like every time a manufacturer brings out a new model of their lower end scopes, they up their game (and unfortunately their price). The center dot is the smallest I've seen in a scope - .04 mils. It's almost too small for my lousy eyes but it does allow for very precise sight alignment. Another thing that drove up the scope ring price is the Vortex has a 34MM tube.

Keep in mind that the Predator is a 223 and you should "not" shoot 556 in it :icon-wink: :icon-wink:.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: May 21st, 2023, 6:05 am I also bought a new Mossberg MVP a few years ago , and hated it.
I sold it the next day.
As a prospective bolt gun buyer, what about the Mossberg was off?
have to admit i like the MVP concept, but yet to handle one.

I really lust after a MRAD like my neighbor has, but far out of my price range.
azdover

Post by azdover »

In my case nothing really wrong with my old MVP. I just like my current Ruger better. Maybe somebody who currently has both can chime to help you out.

Hopefully, you can get you hands on both before you shell out your cash.
Last edited by azdover on June 9th, 2023, 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

Nice write up.
Would like to see how you laid the metal into the stock if you're able.
How's the bolt feel cycling it?
Why the .223 version and not 5.56?
azdover

Post by azdover »

DuneShoot wrote: May 21st, 2023, 3:25 pm How's the bolt feel cycling it?
Why the .223 version and not 5.56?
Bolt feel is okay considering it's a $500 rifle. I've felt smoother but it's good enough for now and hopefully will improve with more rounds down range.

I don't have a lot of experience with distance shooting. Seems like current consensus is a longer barrel is probably better if I want to shoot 500-600 yards with 223 and 556. If it's on the internet, it must be true - amirite? So that limits my choice in a Ruger American that uses the same ammo and mags as my ARs to the 22 inch Predator which only comes in 223. The Ruger American Ranch shoots 556 but has a shorter 16.12" barrel which is going to be my next purchase by the way (it's an incurable sickness). And before anyone starts, I know there are guys out there that can ring 10" steel at a thousand yards all day with their 7.5" AR pistol (read it on the internet). But I'm not one of them - yet.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

Fair enough.
I'm looking at the Ranch now ;)

Out of a quality 18" AR 500-600 yards is easy. Front bipod, rear squeeze bag, and breathing.
azdover

Post by azdover »

Agree. Unfortunately, I can't find anybody to sell a bag of shooting skill yet.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

QuangTri wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:30 pm
Ballistic Therapy wrote: May 21st, 2023, 6:05 am I also bought a new Mossberg MVP a few years ago , and hated it.
I sold it the next day.
As a prospective bolt gun buyer, what about the Mossberg was off?
have to admit i like the MVP concept, but yet to handle one.

I really lust after a MRAD like my neighbor has, but far out of my price range.
I bought mine around when they first came out. I would hope they have improved since then.
Mine wasn't that accurate , the action was sloppy and the factory magazine was junk and would not work in it.
AR magazines worked OK , but you had to put pressure forward on the magazine to make it feed right.
I don't remember what else , but I did make a post about it here , where I compared it to a Tikka.
Of course the Tikka won hands done.

I would take the Ruger over the Mossberg any day.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

azdover wrote: May 21st, 2023, 4:12 pm Agree. Unfortunately, I can't find anybody to sell a bag of shooting skill yet.
Be more than happy to show ya.
azdover

Post by azdover »

DuneShoot wrote: May 21st, 2023, 5:48 pm Be more than happy to show ya.
pm sent
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I have the American Ranch 5.56 variant...absolute tack driver with my 77gr Mk 262 clone hand loads. 10rd sub-MOA groups out to 400M. I think it would hold sub-MOA out to 500M, but I've never had the chance to put it on paper at that distance.

The stock is for s***...hollow like a drum. I filled it with a slurry mix of airsfot BB's and epoxy. Nice and solid now. Unfortunately, nothing aftermarket has peaked my interest. The Magpul Hunter stock is a brick with a bad grip angle, the few milled aluminum chassis stocks are OK...nothing really does it for me. The Heatseeker from Sharps Bros is really the only thing that I think I would like...but costs more than the rifle did.

I originally bought the rifle on a whim to serve as a host for an old Surefire 5.56mm suppressor I had laying around...no idea it would shoot so well. Topped my rifle with an Athlon Midas Tac 5-25 scope. The rifle and scope shoot well above their price points.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Let’s see some groups of these tack drivers