Smith & Wesson M&P FPC 9mm

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Tenring
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Smith & Wesson M&P FPC 9mm

Post by Tenring »

Ok - so I am starting to think this might be a good truck gun .... or throw it in a backpack and go. Pick up a few of these and good to go.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/promag-smit ... azine.html

tunnug

Post by tunnug »

AZDESERTRAT wrote: February 28th, 2023, 7:26 pm Now if they only made it in 10mm! One can hope
I'm betting that they will, it'll go perfect with my S&W MP10.
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

So I went over to a local shop and was man-handling the carbine. Here's the main reasons why I personally would not buy it:

1) my tall height and arm length makes it feel like an SBR since the stock is not able to increase or decrease in length

2) the gun is literally "plastic" in feel and handling. Don't know if it could take serious abuse

3) the operational buttons are too low and large fingers couldn't just drop a mag. the bolt catch button literally could not be operated even by the salesperson.

4) the charging handle was not in the least impressive. Hard to charge as well as grip.

Basically a big no for me. And at $800, nope even more
OMart

Post by OMart »

Have sold a few. The more I handle it, the more I dislike it. I guess if you are a S&W M&P shooter it makes sense. It feels clunky to me, I don't like the charging handle that also serves as the locking latch when folded. The magazine stock storage feature is novel but poorly executed IMO. Plus more expensive than the Sub2K which feels svelte in comparison.
thom

Post by thom »

Maybe that mag holder can be adapted to fit on regular AR-9 tubes.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Allegiant had a used one yesterday. Basically ANIB traded-back in w/o having shot it. Six cash OTD if you want one.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

I have one and like it a lot!
I have 600-700 round through it, suppressed, and have not cleaned it yet. Did squirt some oil on the bolt before the last outing.

It shoots great and feels great.

Does have some ergonomic issues. The bolt catch/release is the same as on a pistol, WAY to small.
Can't add a QD sling mount to the left side of the rail, will not lock into the folded position. WIll need a top rail mount 45 degree QD sling cup.

Why can't I attached pictures anymore!?
hrob

Post by hrob »

I purchased the Smith & Wesson FPC about three weeks ago after reading a number of reviews. I bought it with some trepidation and with the "I'll take a chance on it" attitude. I’m glad I did. For the very reasonable price of about $650 out the door at Sportsman’s, this compact, inconspicuous package has, so far, worked extremely well while exhibiting very few flaws.

I installed kind of a low end Sig Romeo5 red dot sight – something new for me because, previously, I’ve had no experience with red dot optics. I like this configuration but will probably install some BUIS as well.

Since I bought it, my son, his wife and I have, on three different outings, gone through about 250 rounds. It has fed, fired and ejected every thing I’ve thrown at it from factory FMJs to my handloads consisting of HPs, plated flat points, plated round nose and Lee 124 gr cast lead bullets. The FPC ejects the spent cases in a predictable and easy to pick up pile.

250 rounds is not exactly a torture test but the barrel/receiver lock-up is still tight with zero play.

This combination of the mild recoiling semi-auto FPC coupled with the red dot sight allows even inexperienced shooters to hit a 9” X 12” AR500 steel plate with boring regularity at about 40 yards.

With a little practice, it’s easy to field strip, get everything cleaned up and put back together again. I purposely shot about 150 rounds through it before the first cleaning and, like I said, it fed, fired and ejected perfectly.

Is the FPC perfect, though? No, there are some things I’m not crazy about but I knew about those things going in. I’m not overjoyed about the plastic (or, as the firearms manufacturers prefer: polymer) M LOK handguard or the associated picatinny rail. But as far as I can tell - and I’m pretty critical about such things - they seem to hold up very well. The bolt release tabs are somewhat undersized but can be manipulated with a little practice. And the charging handle takes some effort to manipulate but not so much that a slightly built woman can’t handle it. And no factory installed sights? Nothing? C'mon S&W put something on that picatinny rail!

A common complaint about the FPC is that it does not accept Glock magazines. It doesn’t bother me a whit that the magazine well is not Glock compatible. I know that aftermarket Glock magazines are much cheaper but the M&P mags will probably serve me well and when I need more – I’ll buy more. Even if they’re a little pricier.

I like the concept of this firearm. The side-folding mechanism allows for the straightforward attachment of an optic, it comes with not one, not two, but three magazines and it fits neatly into a small case with no gun-related markings emblazoned on the outside. Sure, there are some very minor issues but It is a very useful, covert package; perfect for travel, and the primary reason I paid good money for it.
Last edited by hrob on May 24th, 2023, 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

hrob wrote: May 24th, 2023, 12:33 pm I like the concept of this firearm. The side-folding mechanism allows for the straightforward attachment of an optic, it comes with not one, not two, but three magazines and it fits neatly into a small case with no gun-related markings emblazoned on the outside. Sure, there are some very minor issues but It is a very useful, covert package; perfect for travel, and the primary reason I paid good money for it.
You make a great point here. You can keep an optic on it because it is a side folder, something I can't do with my Sub2K.