Adjustable "bleed off" gas system

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Guided-miscle
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Guided-miscle »

Doing AR10 build using a Faxon 16" pencil barrel, I am considering a Superlative Arms
Adjustable "bleed off" gas system, anyone have experience that can provide feedback on this item?

Harrier

Re: Adjustable "bleed off" gas system

Post by Harrier »

I don't know about that particular gas block but one thing I "discovered" is to make sure you can make any adjustments with your hand-guard in place... that there is a hole you can get the Allen wrench into the adjustment screw and room to turn the wrench to make the adjustment. Also check the accessibility of any 'lock screw' used to keep the adjuster screw in place- you have to be able to loosen/tighten it also.
Guided-miscle

Post by Guided-miscle »

Regarding adjustments you come from front of hand guard, so if distance between adjustment screw to end of hand guard is not longer than tool should be good, need to figure distance and tool in regard to hand guard purchase. My understanding is does not have set screw, uses " my termilology" a racheting system.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I have one my 6.5 Creemoor and so far it works great.

It is a relatively new build so I'm starting to work up handloads but I've adjusted it to the best working setting for the highest pressure factory load and it still cycled the bolt for the lightest load. With factory loads I haven't noticed a difference in the bleed-off mode vs gas-block mode like all the other work.

I have not tried it suppressed. I bet the bleed-off mode really comes into play there.
Last edited by YNOTAZ on August 9th, 2018, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

The 'click stop' type seem to be a good design (as long as the ball hold it in place). Some gas blocks have their adjustments on the L/R side with a lock screw perpendicular to it on top/back/front. That is my issue - the lock screw is in the backside. I will probably loosen it and use loc-tite on the side.
On the distance issue- you can get long wrenches or maybe cut off one side of a T-handle.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

You can go to stag arms and they have Adam arms gas piston kits for 159.00 each.
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

I’ve used the little Seekins adjustable, with good results. It’s not a bleed off type. But is small and light.
lew

Post by lew »

I have an SLR adjustable block on my 6.5 Creedmoor AR. Works superbly.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

#1 Post by Guided-miscle » July 29th, 2018, 10:01 am

I didn't have a purpose for one until I built my long distance AR, a few years ago.

I bought a duel charging (both side and standard charging handles) receiver, because I like shooting single shot (no gas cycle) and subsonic (no gas cycle). So, an adjustable gas block has finally served a purpose for me. I don't shoot suppressor.

If you ever want to shoot both, semi auto and without gas/cycle/function, there really isn't any other practical choices, other than loosening it and spinning it around, then re-tighten to cut off the gas. I have never had a need to adjust gas/cycling at varied levels, so I can't comment to that. I usually have different goals, than others! 8-)
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Hey OP. Go ask steve in 29 about the gas block. He knows what ya need.
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

I have two of the superlative. One one a full time suppressed SBR and the other on a lightweight build. IIRC (it's been awhile), both would still cycle with the bleed off setting maxed out. I end up just running them down to close them off til they wouldn't cycle then opened them back up a few clicks like the instructions say. So I'm not sure how useful the bleed off setting really is. I couldn't tell a difference to the ear between one or the other as far as DB's go.

They come with a long allen wrench to adjust them. Did have to bend one slightly to work around the suppressor though.
Mudder79
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Mudder79 »

I'm running the Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Blocks on 4 AR's (1-7.5" and 1-10.5" pistols, 1-10.5 SBR and 1-14.5 SBR). I have no issues with them running suppressed or non suppressed, plus they are super easy to adjust. I had a Seekins on a M4 of about an hour before i put a non adjustable gas block back on because I has a hell of a time trying to get it set. The Seekins would either not cycle or would blow out primers.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Ranger1 wrote: August 10th, 2018, 6:22 pm Hey OP. Go ask steve in 29 about the gas block. He knows what ya need.
It must be that time of the month again.

I haven't posted in this thread yet your hormones have you bringing my name up where you thought I wouldn't see it.
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

I use them for our 14.5s and SBR builds. Things pretty awesome. Even Spike's Tactical uses them as their OEM adjustables.
Guided-miscle

Post by Guided-miscle »

haven't been back to this for a while. Thank you all for interjection. Made labor day sales purchases so to finish build. Look forward to learning how effective / well the Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Blocks works. will get back