New AR Barrel

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
stomp442
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: New AR Barrel

Post by stomp442 »

Check out the AR Stoner barrels on Midway. I have built a couple ARs here recently using those barrels and they have all shot extremely well and at a good price. I just bought another one just to have around.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023207522?pid=734147

Tenring

Post by Tenring »

So if I change my barrel using good (mil spec) parts do I have to check headspace after barrel swap?
I have read both ways and don't really want to have to buy go/no go gages, this guy (below) says check it every time the chamber is cleaned......and I have never done that.

8. How often should I check my headspace?
It is generally recommended to check your headspace every time you clean your gun. However, if you are using factory ammunition, you may not need to check it as often.

This guys says maybe needed if parts come out of factory deformed:

Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

BA is good, they're owned by AERO.

Buddy just bought about a half dozen barrels from them for various projects.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Tenring wrote: February 11th, 2023, 9:03 am So if I change my barrel using good (mil spec) parts do I have to check headspace after barrel swap?
I have read both ways and don't really want to have to buy go/no go gages, this guy (below) says check it every time the chamber is cleaned......and I have never done that.

8. How often should I check my headspace?
It is generally recommended to check your headspace every time you clean your gun. However, if you are using factory ammunition, you may not need to check it as often.

This guys says maybe needed if parts come out of factory deformed:

Woof, that's a can of worms.

I'll tell you that in theory, you absolutely should check headspace on any new barrel/bolt combination.

I absolutely wouldn't bemoan someone for exercising caution in this situation.

In practice though, I only do it myself when I have an issue that could be a headspace issue (i.e. never).
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Thanks for your honesty @Hammer 35 always thought it was a can of worms.
I might be staring straight at it in the future that is why I am trying to decide now, spend the extra $80.00 on gages or chance it......
Firemoose
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Firemoose »

I was under the impression that when you get a barrel with the extension on it, it has been headspace. At least from reputable companies.
Kinked_Chrome

Post by Kinked_Chrome »

Firemoose wrote: February 12th, 2023, 11:44 pm I was under the impression that when you get a barrel with the extension on it, it has been headspace. At least from reputable companies.

They do, but it is to an in spec bolt. So whatever bolt you put in it, isnt guaranteed to be in spec.

That said, if you buy new in the box name brand parts, the odds of not having correct head space are extraordinarily low.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Firemoose wrote: February 12th, 2023, 11:44 pm I was under the impression that when you get a barrel with the extension on it, it has been headspace. At least from reputable companies.
You can frequently get barrel+bolt combos that have been factory set and checked.

Typically only higher end companies will offer that service, White Oak Armory etc. They charge an extremely reasonable fee for it as well.

Any time you have a new barrel/bolt combination the chance of tolerance stacking raises its ugly little head and its possible, albeit unlikely, that a suboptimal fitment between the two occurs.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Tenring wrote: February 12th, 2023, 7:46 am Thanks for your honesty @Hammer 35 always thought it was a can of worms.
I might be staring straight at it in the future that is why I am trying to decide now, spend the extra $80.00 on gages or chance it......
So, I've also heard tell that a in-spec factory cartridge will act reasonably well as a "Go" gauge, and the same cartridge, with a piece of scotch tape covering (but not hanging over the edges) will act reasonably well as a "No-Go" gauge.

I'm in no way advocating, or encouraging the use of such shade-tree, Bubba methods, but it's a thing that's been done and may suffice for your purposes.

It's not something I'd do building a match rifle, but to diagnose something at the range, it works in a pinch
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Adding a layer of tape to a Go gauge is a legitimate gunsmithing technique. A single layer of scotch tape adds a predictable dimension to a head space gauge.

If you are going to spend money on head space gauges, it can be worth it. If you were building 5+ guns per year, I'd invest in a set of Go, No Go, and Field gauges.
tabascoman79

Post by tabascoman79 »

If you haven’t bought yet. Check out spintaprecision.com they have a 16” dissipator barrel that’s amazing! 16” rifle gas system. Smooth shooting. I’ve got 3. If looking at 14.5” I went with a ballistic advantage mid gas barrel and love it too. It’s crazy how that 14.5” feels so much shorter than a 16 does