Lancer L5 AWM 30-round mags

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Slater
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Lancer L5 AWM 30-round mags

Post by Slater »

Looking at giving some of these a try as I've heard mostly positive reviews. Anyone with any positive/negative experience with Lancer?

jrleen

Re: Lancer L5 AWM 30-round mags

Post by jrleen »

Was looking at reviews seeing the same. Only reason I am not jumping on trying them is I have a crap load of Pmags, Lancer L5 and old school GI mags that run perfectly on my herd. Including one having a fun-switch.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

I have quite a few of these (wee! fun colors!) and they seem fine.They work with my ARs, Sig556, Aug, Tavor, etc. Now granted, I am not hopping to exotic locales every week and engaging in modern warfare (I never understood why some people think everything firearm related has to be "combat ready" lol.....)- but for "normal" use they have been reliable.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I bought a bunch of the original L5 mags right when Sandy Hook happened in 2012. What I have discovered since then is that while they work perfectly fine in most rifles,...some rifles not originally designed for AR15 mags but outfitted with an adapter to take AR15 mags can have issues with L5s (and perhaps others as well).

For instance, I have had two 5.56 AKs modified to take AR15 mags;...a Zastava M90NP with the polymer factory-added mag well, and an Arsenal SLR106F that I retrofitted with a Canis Design Group adapter. Each rifle worked perfectly with Magpul mags and aluminum GI mags, but the Arsenal had trouble letting the L5s fully seat and lock. The issue is that the L5 stamped steel upper portion of the mag had corners that were just ever so slightly protruding out beyond the dimensions of the GI or Magpul mags. Barely a single millimeter. Not enough to cause any trouble in any AR15 or Robinson XCR or Beretta ARX or SIG 556 or other rifle designed for GI mags. But AK adaptations are internally very tight and cramped, and the conversions had obviously been engineered using the most likely mags as mandrels around which to engineer them.

I still love my L5s and they are my preferred mags to use,...just not in my Arsenal AK. For that one, I reserve my beat up aluminum and Magpul mags.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

One potential negative that I found...
The body of the mags are very thin and somewhat flexible as compared to something like a pmag. If pressure was applied to the side of the magazine or the sides were squeezed somehow during firing, it will pinch the rounds and stop the gun from cycling with the rounds not allowed to move up. I've never had it happen, but I see that as a potential vulnerability.

I have lots of pmags and lancers. I like the metal lips on the lancers, but I've never had a single problem with a pmag, so I'd probably stick with pmag for future purchases personally.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I like the metal lip on Lancers, and I like the translucent colors that make it easy to see how many rounds are loaded. Some P-mags have windows, but that adds cost and I like the Lancers enough to pay the extra couple $ over Pmags. I've never had any problems with my Lancers. But like others have said, I've never had problems with pmags either. I still use them both.
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

I've never had any bad experiences with them. I prefer to buy the clear ones as that's the only reason I buy them. They look cool.
Dangerruss

Post by Dangerruss »

I have a couple in black, I want to pick up some translucent's but I need cheap to justify buying more mags..lol