Do you own a stupid accurate rifle?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Doc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Do you own a stupid accurate rifle?

Post by Doc »

Abbey wrote: January 12th, 2023, 9:59 pm By “trigger release”, do you mean the bolt release? Getting stuck should just mean that the bolt won’t stay in the action. I haven’t used a stock R700 trigger in awhile but you should be able to clean that.

My last stock R700 was one of the recall triggers. If got gritty over time and could fire if you bumped the rifle or looked at it funny. Instead of dealing with the recall, I replaced it with a Timney and lived happily ever after.
Bolt release, yes, thank you.

When you “push up” it has no resistance. I probably just need to tear it down and investigate

Abbey

Post by Abbey »

No resistance is not good. Something sounds broken. I’d definitely pull the action off and investigate.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Can't say that I've done the testing to say that it shoots EVERYTHING well. What I can say is that I'm amazed at how far rifle accuracy has come in the last decade or two. It used to be that a sub MOA capable gun was a pretty expensive and involved proposition - not to mention a sub MOA semi-auto rifle. Today I've got an AR-15 that is consistently sub-MOA (when shot from a bench or prone off of a bipod - not even in a sled) that I self assembled and that cost me less than $1000 to build a couple of years ago (yes - I shopped sales). The upper is a $360 PSA .223 Wylde 1:7 18" stainless heavy barrel with their "decent" BCG. The lower is pretty vanilla - save a good trigger (SSA-E) and a Luth AR adjustable stock...

I've shot a variety of match grade heavier bullet 5.56 through it and have not found anything so far that won't shoot sub MOA. Most of the stuff through it has been IMI 77gr SMK 'Razor Core' match ammo or Frontier 5.56 NATO 75 gr BTHP Match. Best 100 yard group ever was 0.39" but the more typical is in the 0.65" - 0.85" range. I'm guessing that a better shooter would shoot consistently near the lower end of this range.
Lucafu1

Post by Lucafu1 »

Savage Predator Hunter in .223 is my most accurate rifle. It's awesome.
desertmoon
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by desertmoon »

I have a few.

Two Marlin 39As that are more accurate than a repeater has a right to be.

Anschutz 64MS...no surprise there.

Winchester 62A...also stupid accurate.

For center fire, there only two that come to mind that are fantastic shooters for me and those are my .300 WM Sendero from the mid 1990s and my Christensen CA-15. THAT thing is ridiculous. I mean, I expected it to shoot well...but, DAMN.

...and last, but not least by any margin is my Steven's No 44&1/2 that I got from one of the members here. DAMN! Another stupid accurate gun!!!!
GunNut

Post by GunNut »

2 much more deadly accurate than many others I have

1) Chinese T53 Same as Russian Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r
Shoots dead on with any ammo better than any of the 300+ Mosin Nagants I have owned

2) Kimber Govt M82
Unreal accuracy Bolt action 22lr got 2 with the same accuracy (sequential numbers)
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

BigNate wrote: January 13th, 2023, 9:04 am Can't say that I've done the testing to say that it shoots EVERYTHING well. What I can say is that I'm amazed at how far rifle accuracy has come in the last decade or two. It used to be that a sub MOA capable gun was a pretty expensive and involved proposition - not to mention a sub MOA semi-auto rifle. Today I've got an AR-15 that is consistently sub-MOA (when shot from a bench or prone off of a bipod - not even in a sled) that I self assembled and that cost me less than $1000 to build a couple of years ago (yes - I shopped sales). The upper is a $360 PSA .223 Wylde 1:7 18" stainless heavy barrel with their "decent" BCG. The lower is pretty vanilla - save a good trigger (SSA-E) and a Luth AR adjustable stock...

I've shot a variety of match grade heavier bullet 5.56 through it and have not found anything so far that won't shoot sub MOA. Most of the stuff through it has been IMI 77gr SMK 'Razor Core' match ammo or Frontier 5.56 NATO 75 gr BTHP Match. Best 100 yard group ever was 0.39" but the more typical is in the 0.65" - 0.85" range. I'm guessing that a better shooter would shoot consistently near the lower end of this range.
This has been my experience with the AR platform as well.

My 24" DPMS LR-308 is way more accurate than I could've ever hoped it would be. It does good with 150gr factory stuff, but impressively well with handloads and factory match ammo. I remember pulling it out of the case after not firing it for a couple of years and printing a 5 shot clover leaf at 100 yards directly in center of the 1" orange dot.

I also had a 16" DPMS bull barrel 223 upper that I shot several 500yd prone matches with. Unfortunately I lost that one in my divorce 10 years ago.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I think I might have found myself a stoopid accurate rifle.

Shot a few cheater 3 round groups. Then set my zero
2C4973C5-4C22-4E84-90FA-DA19A735D86F.png

Here is my final shot of the day. I’d say she’s zero’d
11D94338-0D92-4B19-AA8B-B89D2239FB65.jpeg