Long Range Precision Shooting?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
tobylazur
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Long Range Precision Shooting?

Post by tobylazur »

I'm looking for some advice from you guys.

I've been interested in long range shooting for a while now, and those Precision Rifle Matches look like something I'd enjoy. I found a local group that puts on matches, and I'm thinking about signing up for one this fall. My main problem is i don't think i have a rifle suitable.

I have a Savage 10fp in .308 with a 20" barrel i could use, but the problem is it has a blind magazine. The club i talked to highly recommends having removable magazines because the stages they do are between 8 and 15 rounds.

So now I'm at a bit of a cross roads. Do i put $400+ into this rifle for a bottom metal and magazines? Do i sell this rifle for $300-$400 and put that money into a Ruger Precision Rifle, or a different rifle more suited to the game? Maybe even go to a different caliber like 6.5CM, .243, or 6mmCM?

What do you guys think?

Harrier

Re: Long Range Precision Shooting?

Post by Harrier »

Can you keep the one you got and buy another?
Can you borrow a rifle?
I would try to put out the least amount of $$ while trying-out the game a few times, to see if I liked it... and the people I was going to be hanging out with.

One advantage of the Savage is that you can easily switch barrels at home with just a couple of tools.
You could get a 6.5C or whatever and keep the 308 for hunting etc.
You could buy the magazine kit now but would you also need a new stock with the mag well cut-out (down the road you would want one anyway).
Savage are also known for their accuracy. You have a good platform to start building upon but it ain't free.

OTOH if you sell the Savage and buy something else, that is what you have... if your interests change you might have to sell it and get another Savage or whatever... that becomes a never ending game.

If replacing the gun, look for versatility in the new one, you could sell/trade the Savage for another Savage... Like This One Looks like the street price is about $650 so after selling your 308, it would probably cost you $200-400 to get setup to start (with other gear like S&H, FFL fee, extra mags, bi-pod.) plus a scope... You could buy additional caliber barrels later for about $200 ea.
If retrofitting your existing rifle, you would probably spend more in the end and not have the same thing.

... and if I couldn't swing that, I would start putting the money into upgrading the existing Savage over time with the idea of building a switch-out platform.
TheRifleman

Post by TheRifleman »

Do you have an AR? Does the local group have the gas gun series or will they allow you to shoot an AR against the bolt guns? Not that it's a great solution for the long run, but it may save you from dumping money into a rifle for a sport you find you don't like.

The problem with upgrading a Savage is that it'll still be a Savage. I have a couple and they're fine for what they are - a beginner rifle - but you may find someone in the group who wants to upgrade from an Atlas or something similar to a full custom and would be way ahead picking that up used.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

I just joined the forum, but I can give some in site. Unfortunately a blind magazine does not well for precision rifle matches. Most stages are timed (2-3 minutes) and require 6-12 aimed rounds. You would need to single feed the remaining rounds and would likely run out of time. It can be done but is very difficult, especially if you are new to the sport.

As for upgrading, that is up to you. You can sink lots of money into a rifle, just to realize you should have invested in something that would be more competitive in the long run. You could get a replacement stock like an XLR element that will have a detachable magazine built in for not much more that a DBM for your existing stock. The Ruger RPR is an ok rifle, but not great and not a long term investment for PR. You might get a shooter, or you might get a dud. Scopes are where long term investment should be made.

I am a firm believer in "bring what you've got!". You could also show up to a match and watch (or RO). Most people at these matches are happy to help and will let you play with their gear to see what you like. I would put off buying anything until you have either shot a match or been out to watch one. The key is to come out and have fun, if you like it, you will buy whatever you need to keep playing.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

How about, practice reloading your blind mag, quickly?

Even if you don't qualify for your first couple matches, you will get insight as to whether you like it enough to invest.
428cj

Post by 428cj »

The 308 will do great, even at 1,000 yards. But I would go with a 24 or 26'' barrel.
tobylazur

Post by tobylazur »

Thank you all for the replies.

At this point i don't have the funds to go out and spend $700-$1000 on another rifle, let alone a second optic. I guess not having a removable mag isn't my limiting factor right now, that will be my actual shooting.

Really, my goal is not to be competitive as much as it is to get out, have fun, and better myself. If that is shooting PRS, or just by myself I'll be happy.

Maybe the beginning of next year i can look into buying something new or used that will be a better base for shooting long range. Until then I'll keep trying to work a load up for this rifle, and shooting it as much as i can to get better.

Thanks again.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

What caliber rifles will the except. I my self would run a 300 win mag. If u want longer and not have the money for a 338 Lupua go with a 300 win mag. CDI has bottom metal for both.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

What caliber rifles will the except. I my self would run a 300 win mag. If u want longer and not have the money for a 338 Lupua go with a 300 win mag ultra. CDI has bottom metal for both.
tobylazur

Post by tobylazur »

Ranger1 wrote: July 27th, 2018, 3:29 pm What caliber rifles will the except. I my self would run a 300 win mag. If u want longer and not have the money for a 338 Lupua go with a 300 win mag ultra. CDI has bottom metal for both.
I'd like to go 6mmCM, .243, or 6.5CM.
samnev

Post by samnev »

If you can afford the freight I'd get the Ruger Precision rifle in the caliber of your choice.
samnev

Post by samnev »

If you can afford the freight I'd get the Ruger Precision rifle in the caliber of your choice. My choice would be the 6.5 CM. The 308 is barely suitable for 1000 yards imo.
Pistolpete1216
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Pistolpete1216 »

I’ve actually been thinking about getting into long range myself. I probably won’t get into competition immediately. I’m looking at “entry level” Savage .338Lapua
Pistolpete1216

Post by Pistolpete1216 »

Let us know what you end up going with.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

If you are serious about long range/PRS type shooting stay away from big calibers and magnums. They are not fun, burn too much powder and barrel life is short. If you don't reload, get a 6.5 Creedmoor. If you reload look at 6.5x47, 260 or 6.5 Creed. 6mm is the most competitive in matches. 6Creed, 6x47, Dasher, 6BR are all good choices. Accuracy, low recoil and ballistics beat horsepower every time. Additionally matches require lots of rounds and heavy calibers or magnums with beat you up. Chassis systems or stocks with built-in bottom metal are what most competitors use. Muzzle brakes or a suppressor are pretty much mandatory for recoil management too.