New acquisition...HK91 Factory Desert Camo finish

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Bullzaye
ArizonaShooting.org Member

New acquisition...HK91 Factory Desert Camo finish

Post by Bullzaye »

I thought some of you HK fanatics might appreciate seeing this. A relatively rare (and unbelievably ugly) desert camo factory finish HK91.

I don't know a ton about these...supposedly a Middle-Eastern country (Saudi Arabia?) ordered some G3s, and a few semi-auto 91s were sold on the civilian market. Only about 200, if I recall correctly. The story goes that these were so ugly, they were deeply discounted on the civilian market, just to get rid of them. And then, the story continues...many buyers had them refinished. So, they apparently are rather uncommon.

This one shows a few handling marks, and some scuffs on the receiver where the HK claw scope mount was installed, at least once. It's the most I've ever spent on a firearm, but by all accounts...it was still a real bargain (or so I'm hoping!).
Attachments
20220319_223050.jpg
20220319_222934.jpg

delta6

Re: New acquisition...HK91 Factory Desert Camo finish

Post by delta6 »

Ugly..ehh
Different..yes
Nice blaster!
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

If it were more tan than yellow, I'd like it. But as it is, it looks like its been guarding a mustard factory.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Yer' gun's.... yella.... LOL

Nice gun! So - who cares what color it is - as long as it does what it is supposed to do...
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

That is an awesome find and buy. I would keep it just like it is. I like it

I thought I would never own a HK 91 after they were banned from importation. I saw them in Shooters World for $600 brand new in the early 90's, but hated the look of them because of the barrel under the cocking tube. Man, I regret not picking up at least one back then.

I finally warmed up to them after they were priced sky high. So, I ended up buying a PTR 91F in 2008 from Atlantic Firearms and picked it up at Arizona Tactical Firearms, thinking I would never be able to afford a HK
Around 2014 I scooped up a HK 91 with ammo, that popped up on the old board for $1800 and I couldn't drive fast enough to Casa Grande to grab it. I also grabbed a collapsible stock on the old board for $125 from a member.

Congrats on the purchase.
If you need a HK bipod, hit me up. I bought 10 of them from RTG in 2015. They are the really good bipods. RTG has an extensive parts catalog.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK-BIPOD-2p1.htm
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

One of the Holy Grail HK-91/93 Rifles. I have a Woodland Camo version that is a little more common but still rare. I posted a want to buy HK-91 on the old AZ Shooting and someone got a hold of me with the Woodland 91 bought it immediately. I saw one of these Desert Camo 91's go over 6K on GB last year. Nice find and will only get more valuable. RTG used to be here is AZ and is a great resource. I have bought lots of parts from them over the years.
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

A guy I used to know bought an HK-91 years ago from the original “Bear Arms” and the dealer (long since dead) gave him a screaming deal cuz’ “the barrel was shot out”. Cept’ the dealer didn’t know that a very few HK-91’s were made with polygonal bores…..
My first HK was an HK-41 I got circa 1978. Paid $225.00 for it used (NIB AR-15’s were $300.00 MSRP at the time. Back then nobody wanted them. Crappy trigger, crappy sights, dinged the hell outa the cases, and range safety officers at Black Canyon were constantly bitching at you cuz’ they often hurled the cases down the firing line. Then Mel Tappan recommended the HK-91 as the go to rifle for the apocalypse and everybody just had to have one.

For all you die hard HK-91 fans I strongly suggest you try this:
*Next time you go to the range take out five magazines and load ten rounds in each (we don’t want your barrel to get too hot do we?) and place them on the deck (i.e. the “ground”).
*Pick up your rifle and assume a good prone UNSUPPORTED firing position.
*Engage the target firing all five magazines at it while maintaining the lowest possible target signature (that means don’t flail around when pulling back that cocking handle).

Charging that rifle prone kinda sucks doesn’t it? :dance: But then how many times in a fire fight does anybody shoot from the hard dirty ground anyway? :roll: