Seeking value on a 1977 Colt SP1 AR15

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
That Guy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Seeking value on a 1977 Colt SP1 AR15

Post by That Guy »

When I worked there Marty had tons of rare sh!t: a Gyrojet pistol NIB with the rockets, he was the SIG importer and sold StG-57’s and AMT’s, Standard Arms semi-auto/pump (look it up-they are REALLY rare) , the first Randall knife I ever saw was at Mandalls. He also had an incredible amount of gun parts in his backroom. I worked for him when he was still in the small shop which became his wife’s (“June”, she was a real b!tch) knitting shop when he moved on to Scottsdale Road. One of the problem’s with Marty is that he looked at people coming into his store more as “marks” than as customers. I literally saw customers handle a gun and then say, “OK, I’ll take it.” Begin to pull out their wallet and the Marty would look at the price tag and go, “Oh-wait, somebody put the wrong price on this” then whip out a pen and change it! When Marty would get a shipment of SIG-AMT rifles in he’d open the box and remove EVERY accessory from the styrofoam compartments such as exta mag, sling, users manual, sight tool, cleaning kit and sell them separately. If that wasn’t bad enough he’d REMOVE THE FLASH SUPPRESSOR AND SELL THAT SEPARATELY AS WELL! Yeah, I could tell Mandalls stories till hell needs snowblowers…..

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

That Guy wrote: March 6th, 2022, 10:47 am It was all just down the road from “Don’s Sport Shop”. At that time, mid-70’s there were only there were only three gun shops in the Valley who had good selections of “assault weapons” (what we all called them then to differentiate those rifles from semi-auto deer hunting rifles): Jewel Box, Camelback Gun Shop and the famous/infamous Mandalls Shooting Supplies.
Ah yes,...The Jewel Box. I spent many a penny there. That dingy place had many treasures, and the slimiest clerks that ever graced a gun counter.
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

The Jewel Box was awesome! Just a long drive for me on surface streets. They had a great selection and reasonable prices. I got my first SKS, a Russian Vietnam bring back in 1975 (at Gunsmoke on Indian School), and Jewel Box was the ONLY place in Arizona who had 7.62X39, $5.95 for 20 rounds of copper washed steel cased Russian (no idea how they got it back then). My all time favorite gun shop though was “Pioneer Guns” on Indian School Road in Scottsdale. I learned a lot there, bought a lot there, and in retrospect the place was more like a museum than a gunshop. I still recall drooling over two rifles hanging on their west wall: a nice M1895 Winchester lever action in 7.62X54R, and on pegs just above it a real USMC 03’ Springfield sniper rifle WITH 8X Unertl scope. Each was $275.00 and I was really tempted but then thought, “Yeah, but a new AR-15 is $300.00 which has a lot more firepower”. I was really into semi-autos then and like a fool passed them up. Dumb, dumb, dumb…….
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

Suck My Glock wrote: March 5th, 2022, 6:51 pm Yeah, Smitty's was where I always got my .22 ammo in the 80s.
me too!

The one on Cave Creek, as I grew up in Sunnyslope in the late 70's/early 80's (back when there was a U'Totem on every other corner).