Keltec RDB

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
AZ1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Keltec RDB

Post by AZ1 »

Looking for opinions from those that have shot or owned one. They can be found for under $900 new now, which is considerably cheaper than the other bullpups on the market. I like the simple design and online reviews are mostly positive. I like the simple design and the downward ejection is interesting, not sure if that is a pro or con.

Azbuilder

Re: Keltec RDB

Post by Azbuilder »

Keltec tends to slowly work the bugs out. Maybe they learned from the RFB. Tried the RDB and thought it was pretty good, only about 150 rounds though. Just feels like a non combat gun.....my bias maybe.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I have nothing for you on the RDB, but, I used to shoot with a guy that had a RFB. Shot with him for over a decade and he had only one self made issue, imo. He would screw with the adjustable gas port to the point of making the weapon fail. He also shot all the left over junk imported 7.62x51 ammo he could dig out of his old stock, and then mix them in the mags. It always made me giggle when he wondered why it wouldn't group to his satisfaction.

I thought the weapon was cutting edge production, as I have thought of Kel Tec ever since I bought their SU16C around twenty years ago. From my experience with that piston AR imitator, I believe Kel Tec tries very hard to produce a no nonsense, cutting edge, minimalist style product for the most competitive price possible.

The SU16C never failed me, and never failed to be accurate for many, many thousands of rounds. Another one of those rifles I wish I had never traded it off. I have owned a few Kel Tec pistols over the years with the same feeling of satisfaction for a moderate priced product.

I wouldn't think twice about buying any Kel Tec product, and their customer service was excellent, years ago, I doubt it has declined. Hope this helps.
Azbuilder

Post by Azbuilder »

shooter444 wrote: July 16th, 2018, 9:32 am I have nothing for you on the RDB, but, I used to shoot with a guy that had a RFB. Shot with him for over a decade and he had only one self made issue, imo. He would screw with the adjustable gas port to the point of making the weapon fail. He also shot all the left over junk imported 7.62x51 ammo he could dig out of his old stock, and then mix them in the mags. It always made me giggle when he wondered why it wouldn't group to his satisfaction.

I thought the weapon was cutting edge production, as I have thought of Kel Tec ever since I bought their SU16C around twenty years ago. From my experience with that piston AR imitator, I believe Kel Tec tries very hard to produce a no nonsense, cutting edge, minimalist style product for the most competitive price possible.

The SU16C never failed me, and never failed to be accurate for many, many thousands of rounds. Another one of those rifles I wish I had never traded it off. I have owned a few Kel Tec pistols over the years with the same feeling of satisfaction for a moderate priced product.

I wouldn't think twice about buying any Kel Tec product, and their customer service was excellent, years ago, I doubt it has declined. Hope this helps.
I strongly agree. My SU has had a few thousand rounds through it with only a couple of fails induced by me. Then Kel Tec sent me the part I needed for free. I had a very early RFB that had a couple of hick ups. After shooting a friends newer one with Kel Tec changes, I am thinking of picking one up just for fun shooting.
Last edited by Azbuilder on July 21st, 2018, 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

The Keltec RDB is not a combat ready weapon. Now I haven't touched one for a while. So they may have changed it up since I bitched about it, maybe not. The last time I had one in my hands I was supposed to do a review on it. There is no way to check the chamber without pulling the magazine flip it over and some how un f#$k what ever is going on with it. So check it out. You are depending on this rifle to save your life. It jams or something that shuts it down. Now you need to take cover and try to figure out what's wrong. Not a very soldier ready rifle.
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

No bueno, do not buy.
AshAZ
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by AshAZ »

Hard use guns they are not, but interesting and seemingly usable design. I think an RDB with an aluminum body would make it feel more substantial and possibly garner some more support. I know that’s not Kel-Tec’s MO though...