Side charging AR's

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
knockonit
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Side charging AR's

Post by knockonit »

So, i'm noticing a lot of vendors are offering a side charging ar platform, either left or right, who shoots one and why, i get the left or right, but the side charging , pros, cons, run away as fast as you can...................
thanks
Rj

kenpoprofessor

Re: Side charging AR's

Post by kenpoprofessor »

knockonit wrote: January 30th, 2022, 6:24 am So, i'm noticing a lot of vendors are offering a side charging ar platform, either left or right, who shoots one and why, i get the left or right, but the side charging , pros, cons, run away as fast as you can...................
thanks
Rj
Some folks want the same feel as the AK or HK. I do admit, a left side charging upper is easier to cycle with the left hand and never drop the line of sight. I can do it by simply pushing the gun forward as my left hand pulls on the charging handle. I don't have one yet, but my supervisor does, and I played with it for a few. They quit selling the dual charge ones, I'm still looking for those.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Cbvanb
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Cbvanb »

All my Grendel’s are side chargers. I did it partly to distinguish between them and the 556 rifles. I use the Grendel’s for hogs, and manipulating the charger in the dark is much easier than a regular charging handle, and for some reason the return to battery feels much stronger as long as you don’t ride the bolt forward. If I had the time and money I would consider changing out all my ARs to side chargers, as for me it’s an improvement over the original design. Especially if you have a low mounted scope on a flat top receiver. There is one weakness you need to address. The charging bolt is secured to the carrier with a screw. I didn’t loctite one of mine and on an all night hog hunt the screw came out at some point. At the end of the night I had a chambered round with no way to pull back on the bolt carrier, so I had to fire the rifle to get it emptied. Fortunately we were in a place where I could safely do that, but I now loctite all the side chargers and I keep a couple spare charging knobs in my kit.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Cbvanb wrote: January 30th, 2022, 7:50 am All my Grendel’s are side chargers. I did it partly to distinguish between them and the 556 rifles. I use the Grendel’s for hogs, and manipulating the charger in the dark is much easier than a regular charging handle, and for some reason the return to battery feels much stronger as long as you don’t ride the bolt forward. If I had the time and money I would consider changing out all my ARs to side chargers, as for me it’s an improvement over the original design. Especially if you have a low mounted scope on a flat top receiver. There is one weakness you need to address. The charging bolt is secured to the carrier with a screw. I didn’t loctite one of mine and on an all night hog hunt the screw came out at some point. At the end of the night I had a chambered round with no way to pull back on the bolt carrier, so I had to fire the rifle to get it emptied. Fortunately we were in a place where I could safely do that, but I now loctite all the side chargers and I keep a couple spare charging knobs in my kit.

I'm honestly surprised someone hasn't come up with a way to pin the charging bolt now they've been around so long. Roll pin, grub screw, something.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Last edited by kenpoprofessor on January 30th, 2022, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

+,,
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

I gather some side chargers are reciprocating handles and some not? How well does the recip work in action?
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

I use Spartan uppers. Left side charging with no screws. Charging handle sets in a little rail and is held in place by a detent. Nonreciprocating. They use a slightly modified cam pin.

On the expensive side, but they work extremely well.
Cbvanb

Post by Cbvanb »

mtptwo wrote: January 30th, 2022, 11:13 am I use Spartan uppers. Left side charging with no screws. Charging handle sets in a little rail and is held in place by a detent. Nonreciprocating. They use a slightly modified cam pin.

On the expensive side, but they work extremely well.
Nice. I’ll look into that brand. Mine reciprocate, but I’ve never found that to be a problem.
Winmagbill

Post by Winmagbill »

ADCOR Defense was making a pinned side charger upper that could be swapped over easily. Also kept the standard charging handle. Kinda nice. They made a gas piston or a DI version. Not sure what's up with them over the last 4 years.
Blue109

Post by Blue109 »

Use an ASA left side non reciprocating upper on my 18" grendel. Pretty cool. This is a long-ish range gun so I like the idea of being able to charge it without moving off target, but in practice, it a semiauto and usually doesn't need to be charged during shooting so other than looking cool, it's mostly pointless. No real down side, but not enough upside to spend the energy to convert my other guns over.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Have the Bear Creek pistol. Work the action without removing strong-hand from the pistol grip. Unless, of course, you want to lock it open w/o a mag. You don't even have to break your cheek-weld on the stock.

Bolt handle can work as forward assist, if you think you want it to, LOl. I'm told than when you screw a can on one, you don't get gassed back through the rear of the upper where a standard charging handle would normally be.
brian10x

Post by brian10x »

Apostrophe abuse!
G34

Post by G34 »

I bought a side charger years ago when specialized dynamics was using them for the grendel. I lost the knob after I cleaned it and didn’t reapply Loctite. In the prone it was great. Besides that I saw no benefits. The small plug where the CH would be was tacky.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

brian10x wrote: January 31st, 2022, 6:34 am Apostrophe abuse!
grammar police badge.jpg
grammar police badge.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
Ummmm...nope. :think:
How to Use Apostrophes to Make Contractions
https://www.thoughtco.com/guidelines-fo ... ly-1691755

In case you were actually referencing the comma/s.... :)
https://www.scribbr.com/language-rules/commas/
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

I just got a JP rifles side charger. Mainly to shoot suppressed and minimize gas to the face.
It's odd right now but I'll get used to it.
IMG_4695.jpg
IMG_4683.jpg
IMG_4672.jpg