Side charging AR's

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
iammaxwell
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Side charging AR's

Post by iammaxwell »

Years ago, I was so close to getting an ASA non-recip upper for my 9mm when they first came out. Saw them at a gun show and coveted it for quite a while. But ultimately, I decided it was better to just run what I had and keep the same battery of arms on all my ARs.
Side chargers are cool, but IMHO they're basically a clever solution to a non-issue. YMMV

tabascoman79

Post by tabascoman79 »

I’ve used spartan side chargers. But personally I think the gibbz is a better upper. The bca are fairly low end and I’ve know 2 friends that the charge handle broke during use being it is reciprocating. I’ve got 3 gibbz uppers. 2 Grendel’s, one of which I’m selling if you’re looking, and a 16” 223. They’re great rifles and if you run suppressors you don’t have to worry about getting gas in your face.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

This might be an option as well. I bought one a while back but never installed it. Will not work with piston uppers (I believe)

https://devildogconcepts.com/side-charg ... le-system/
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

I have a cheap Bear Creek Arsenal 300 Blackout upper, but I haven't tried it yet.
tabascoman79

Post by tabascoman79 »

I prefer gibbz or spartan. Both are great uppers.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

I have three Gibbz two 5.56 and one 6.5 Creedmoor all of them are suppressed and it is great not getting gassed... The Gibbz look great and work great. The fit and finish and attention to detail is first rate. Using the non reciprocating side charger is so much easier than a rear charging handle. Running a scope and other optics are much easier with a side charger too.

My favorite is an all Gibbz upper, lower and light weight hand guard. Running a Christensen Arms carbon fiber 6.5 CM barrel, Aero Precision high pressure bolt group with a Burris XTR 5-20x50 it shoots very small one hole groups at a hundred yards.