Sad Day

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
samnev
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Sad Day

Post by samnev »

My M249S had to be shipped back to FN yesterday due to the mandatory recall issued Friday. I'd only had it since mid December and never has a chance to shoot it.

Suck My Glock

Re: Sad Day

Post by Suck My Glock »

Uh,...gee,...I would have thought you had sold it in a private sale at the gun show and had no idea where it was.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Abbey

Post by Abbey »

Explain to me how a recall can be "mandatory"?

Perhaps they can void your warranty if you don't comply.
Perhaps ATF could re-classify non-"repaired" units.
Perhaps the range police could arrest you if you are operating your gun in an "unsafe" manner.

But how can they force you to relinquish your property if you don't want to comply with the repair?
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

Suck My Glock wrote: January 25th, 2022, 10:05 am Uh,...gee,...I would have thought you had sold it in a private sale at the gun show and had no idea where it was.
Crazy how people run into hard times with money.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Abbey wrote: January 25th, 2022, 2:49 pm Explain to me how a recall can be "mandatory"?

Perhaps the range police could arrest you if you are operating your gun in an "unsafe" manner.

But how can they force you to relinquish your property if you don't want to comply with the repair?
You are correct, they probably can't, but if you don't, the BAT folks will be at your house and then you will have to comply. Sending it back to the manufacture is probably the best alternative. Some folks just want to fight their way into a serious problem...really dumb. YIQMV.
samnev

Post by samnev »

delta6 wrote: January 25th, 2022, 5:46 pm
Abbey wrote: January 25th, 2022, 2:49 pm Explain to me how a recall can be "mandatory"?

You are correct, they probably can't, but if you don't, the BAT folks will be at your house and then you will have to comply. Sending it back to the manufacture is probably the best alternative. Some folks just want to fight their way into a serious problem...really dumb. YIQMV.
I agree, I played the wait and see game when they wanted the trunnion on some PPSh kits that were sold. Then ATF called me and in no uncertain terms said they wanted the trunnion back. The agent that came to my house actually was quite nice. So I didn't what to run into the same problem again if ATF decides it's time to get all the unmodified M249S's back to FN or face the consequences. Not worth the hassle.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

delta6 wrote: January 25th, 2022, 5:46 pm You are correct, they probably can't, but if you don't, the BAT folks will be at your house and then you will have to comply. Sending it back to the manufacture is probably the best alternative. Some folks just want to fight their way into a serious problem...really dumb. YIQMV.
Don't take my original question the wrong way. I'm not saying this is the hill people should choose to die on. IMO it really depends on your personal situation. But I know 3 people with these FNs - every single one is new, unfired, still in the factory packaging. (I don't have one but I'm not opposed to collectibles by those with the means to build a nice collection.)

I don't think the BATFE is going to kick down anyone's door over a collectible they've never even fired. But I don't have a dog in this fight. My inner libertarian was just triggered by the concept of a mandatory recall. Did they actually reclassify the unmodified units as a MG? From what I read that didn't seem to be the case.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

If you can buffaloed into giving it up, you don't deserve it.
Basher

Post by Basher »

Abbey wrote: January 26th, 2022, 8:09 am But I don't have a dog in this fight.
That’s good, because if you DID have a dog in the fight, the ATF would make sure that it wouldn’t be for very long… 🤣

I’ll see myself out.
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

some discussion about this topic over here:

https://www.falfiles.com/threads/fn-iss ... les.472769
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Suck My Glock wrote: January 26th, 2022, 9:29 am If you can buffaloed into giving it up, you don't deserve it.
YIQMV
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

delta6 wrote: January 26th, 2022, 6:49 pm
Suck My Glock wrote: January 26th, 2022, 9:29 am If you can buffaloed into giving it up, you don't deserve it.
YIQMV
You'll have to explain that one. I'm not up to speed on the latest abbreviations.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Suck My Glock wrote: January 26th, 2022, 7:02 pm
delta6 wrote: January 26th, 2022, 6:49 pm
YIQMV
You'll have to explain that one. I'm not up to speed on the latest abbreviations.
Here is why the comment "being buffaloed" is not well thought out. Obviously you have never seen a M249 blow up. That should be your first clue you should consider before you give your anti-whatever line.
Think of this recall similar to you buying a new Toyota. You get it home and Toyota calls you and says, "Don't drive your new car because it is defective. The speedo doesn't work and the police may stop you and arrest you and oh, by-the-way, more importantly, the brakes don't work. So you not wanting to be "buffaloed", ignore them because this is your collector car. Your not gunna drive it!
A few years in the future, your son, daughter, grandson, decide to take the car out for a drive, they crash and are seriously injured or killed, because the brakes did not work.
This recall is really less about the Feds and more about safety for the current owners and the future ones.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

If FN made it sound like that, sure, your point would be wise. But they didn't make it sound that at all. It sounds like they got a trigger group that allows for something other than that.