Here is the new 1895 Ruger/marlin

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
brandyspaw
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Here is the new 1895 Ruger/marlin

Post by brandyspaw »

Zpglass wrote: October 5th, 2022, 8:17 am Lever actions definitely are good looking rifles
And addicting as well. It seems its hard to stop at just one or 2 lever guns.

mallic

Post by mallic »

BigNate wrote: October 4th, 2022, 2:53 pm
AZ_Five56 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 8:58 pm
BigNate wrote: January 19th, 2022, 4:50 pm I get that not all experiences are the same - but I have exactly one bad thing to say about my Remlin (Marlin) 1895GS in 45-70gvt - and that is that the loop is too small for my fat hand and and has a sharpish edge - so my middle-finger knuckle bleeds if I shoot too many rounds in a sitting. Other than that - after 1000 rounds of various stuff including some fairly hot stuff - I love the gun. Guessing that Ruger will make it "better" but I sure do like the one that I have.
Well, you can replace that loop and get something that doesn't hurt as bad. If the action on yours ever was rough as it came from Remington, I'm guessing you broke it in nice and smooth over your 1000 rounds.
I've thought about getting a new lever for it but I hear that the interface between the lever and the bolt is a big piece of what determines how smoothly the gun cycles - and that it needs to be "tuned" (no clue if this is true)... I keep telling myself that if I can figure out what stainless alloy it's made out of, pull it out of the gun, open it up, add some material a d TIG it back together. Yeah... that's the ticket... surely easier than just replacing the lever and having a gunsmith fit it properly...

The other thought is to just pull it out and get after the inside edges of the loop with a little sanding cone set to take the hard edge off of it. That would probably make it "good enough" even for my big hands.

Or... I can just b**** and moan about it for another 10 years. :D

My Rem-Marlin 336 has a fairly sharp edge on the lever as well. I just wrapped it in paracord and called it a day. I'm more annoyed that the screw that holds the lever on to the gun walks out over time.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

mallic wrote: October 5th, 2022, 9:26 am
BigNate wrote: October 4th, 2022, 2:53 pm
AZ_Five56 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 8:58 pm

Well, you can replace that loop and get something that doesn't hurt as bad. If the action on yours ever was rough as it came from Remington, I'm guessing you broke it in nice and smooth over your 1000 rounds.
I've thought about getting a new lever for it but I hear that the interface between the lever and the bolt is a big piece of what determines how smoothly the gun cycles - and that it needs to be "tuned" (no clue if this is true)... I keep telling myself that if I can figure out what stainless alloy it's made out of, pull it out of the gun, open it up, add some material a d TIG it back together. Yeah... that's the ticket... surely easier than just replacing the lever and having a gunsmith fit it properly...

The other thought is to just pull it out and get after the inside edges of the loop with a little sanding cone set to take the hard edge off of it. That would probably make it "good enough" even for my big hands.

Or... I can just b**** and moan about it for another 10 years. :D

My Rem-Marlin 336 has a fairly sharp edge on the lever as well. I just wrapped it in paracord and called it a day. I'm more annoyed that the screw that holds the lever on to the gun walks out over time.
I thought about doing that (or with leather) but it is already really pretty tight on my hand. I guess I could wrap it with cheap paracord and if it still fits the hand I can do it right...
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

If the Big Loop replacement levers weren't made of unobtanium, or $200 when you can find them, I would have them on both my 336.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I am a Lever gun fanatic, i have many Marlins, Winchesters, Rossi's, a Chiappa 1886, Henrys and even a couple custom 1895s from Wild West Guns and Brockmans Custom (now defunct). I have 3 Remlins 2 1894s and an 1895 SBL they have all been fine for me. I like that i don't care as much about them so they are truly tools but functional tools.

I frankly have more issues with my older original Marlins than the remlins. I do not own a new Ruger/Marlin as the prices are just too whacked for me and there not that much better. I want to get one to see but i will wait a while to see what the market and what models they make.

I have replaced many levers on my Marlins with big loops from Wild West Guns and Beartooth Mercantile. While the lever interface is important to the function of a Marlin 1894,95 or 336 i have found that the replacement levers have in general have proper angles cut and work without tuning just fine.

Tuning is really not difficult and there are lots of tutorials online. If one can cut and tig weld a lever they could certainly tune a replacement lever should it be needed.

The WWG levers are bigger and would certainly open up that space for most large hands. There are of course other vendors making them. The guy that owns Beartooth Mercantile in Cody Wyoming is very nice and also knowledgeable on the Marlin Lever guns. He could certainly talk to you about issues with installation and tuning.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

h8pvmnt wrote: October 5th, 2022, 10:39 am I am a Lever gun fanatic, i have many Marlins, Winchesters, Rossi's, a Chiappa 1886, Henrys and even a couple custom 1895s from Wild West Guns and Brockmans Custom (now defunct). I have 3 Remlins 2 1894s and an 1895 SBL they have all been fine for me. I like that i don't care as much about them so they are truly tools but functional tools.

I frankly have more issues with my older original Marlins than the remlins. I do not own a new Ruger/Marlin as the prices are just too whacked for me and there not that much better. I want to get one to see but i will wait a while to see what the market and what models they make.

I have replaced many levers on my Marlins with big loops from Wild West Guns and Beartooth Mercantile. While the lever interface is important to the function of a Marlin 1894,95 or 336 i have found that the replacement levers have in general have proper angles cut and work without tuning just fine.

Tuning is really not difficult and there are lots of tutorials online. If one can cut and tig weld a lever they could certainly tune a replacement lever should it be needed.

The WWG levers are bigger and would certainly open up that space for most large hands. There are of course other vendors making them. The guy that owns Beartooth Mercantile in Cody Wyoming is very nice and also knowledgeable on the Marlin Lever guns. He could certainly talk to you about issues with installation and tuning.

Thanks sir. Good info...
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

On my last 1895G I added a WWG big loop. But first I beveled the edges snd polished the whole lever, and reblued. Looked and worked great.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Yeah, polishing the sharp edges on the loop is something I did on an older Marlin 336 I had that was chambered in 35 Remington. The sharp edges on the loop caused some discomfort to my porky mitts on occasion. So all I did was sand off the sharp edges, polish out the loop with finer sandpaper and then re-blued it with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue cold bluing.

The key with the Oxpho-blue is to have the metal really clean and warmed up some. Then give it several coats following the instructions. It actually works pretty good for a low budget approach.
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

Man needs to feed his inner Cowboy