AK 47 or AKM?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
brian10x
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AK 47 or AKM?

Post by brian10x »

A question for the AK experts out there.
It is my understanding that the first AK-47 was stamped steel, but production problems forced the Soviets to change to a milled receiver.

After they worked the tooling and production bugs out, they went to the stamped steel receiver we use to this day.

It was then renamed the AKM.

So, every modern version we see today is an AKM, right?

PLEASE, correct me if I'm wrong. I want to be smart.

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: AK 47 or AKM?

Post by AZ_Five56 »

That was my understanding of the AK-47 to AKM transition. I believe the milled receivers slowed down the production tremendously, so they were able to crank out many more rifles once they transitioned to the AKM design (1959-1960ish). All of the modern "AK-47's" are actually AKM's that I'm aware of. Hopefully, someone else with more knowledge will chime in. Mini14 might be a good resource on this subject. He's big on the AK's.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

That is the simple explanation, yes. But the AKM designation only officially lasted until the AK74 came about. Yes, the AK74 was built in the same manner as an AKM, but for the Soviets, the AKM designation was specific to 7.62x39 rifles.
brian10x

Post by brian10x »

Suck My Glock wrote: January 10th, 2022, 4:50 pm That is the simple explanation, yes. But the AKM designation only officially lasted until the AK74 came about. Yes, the AK74 was built in the same manner as an AKM, but for the Soviets, the AKM designation was specific to 7.62x39 rifles.
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, all the 762x39 AKs out there (excluding rare collectibles) are actually AKMs.

I'm adding that to my collection of common firearm nomenclature mistakes

IE: Magazine VS clip/assault rifle VS sporting rifle/AR=Armalite VS assault rifle/etc.
effjaybay

Post by effjaybay »

brian10x

Post by brian10x »

Really awesome info. Thanks.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, all the 762x39 AKs out there (excluding rare collectibles) are actually AKMs.
This is not totally true, There are still Milled receiver AK's built by Arsenal Inc of Bulgaria https://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/firearms/rifles/ and sold by K-var in Las Vegas that have Type 2/3 characteristics. They are more expensive but not uncommon certainly not collectors rifles per se.

There are companies making US milled receivers for kit builds of type 3 rifles.

So yes most stamped receiver guns are patterned after the AKM design. There are of course many variations on the design from Yugoslavia, Romania, Bulgaria, China, Poland, East Germany etc. There
are Varying thicknesses of material the receiver is stamped from, differing patterns of trunnion design etc. Different gas block and sight configurations. Some counties did not always use chrome lined barrels. AK and SKS collecting is fun due to the myriad of variations.

IMO The closest thing to a Russian AKM in recent years was probably a converted Saiga SGL-20/21.
Mini14

Post by Mini14 »

AZ_Five56 wrote: January 10th, 2022, 4:49 pm That was my understanding of the AK-47 to AKM transition. I believe the milled receivers slowed down the production tremendously, so they were able to crank out many more rifles once they transitioned to the AKM design (1959-1960ish). All of the modern "AK-47's" are actually AKM's that I'm aware of. Hopefully, someone else with more knowledge will chime in. Mini14 might be a good resource on this subject. He's big on the AK's.
Yourself and h8pvmnt have covered it.

Original is Ak47 name for variants went to akm. I’m so deep in the rabbit hole I name them by country and model they are to the series from said county.
For instance
Yugo would have M70 m72 m92 and others
China type 56-1-3 plus many other variants.

At the end of the day it’s an Ak47 to me. Only difference to me is Ak74 and Ak in 556 besides that it’s all based off country, builder, importer and original parts.

You got people making aks with cast parts and no skill so be cautious where and what you buy. Stay away from US part builds with cast crap. US made is ok from a GOOD builder not some PSA bs. A real Ak don’t need a lifetime guarantee cause it guarantees your life.

Here is a romy bastard a buddy and I slapped together for your viewing pleasure.

DoubleAlpha

Post by DoubleAlpha »

brian10x wrote: January 10th, 2022, 4:37 pm A question for the AK experts out there.
It is my understanding that the first AK-47 was stamped steel, but production problems forced the Soviets to change to a milled receiver.

PLEASE, correct me if I'm wrong. I want to be smart.
The AK design was based, since inception, on a 1mm stamped receiver, yet the soviets produced AK variants around three families of receivers. If you teach yourself to recognize them (and the two types of gas blocks) you'll be able to tell most AK variants at a glance.
The three soviet receiver types were developed as follows:

-Stamped 1mm
-Milled
-Stamped 1.5mm

Focusing on Soviet production variants only, the first AK produced was the Type 1, which used a stamped 1mm receiver (as originally designed and prototyped by Kalashnikov and as accepted by the soviet ministry of defence). The Type 1 was in production for about two years but soviet stamped metal industrial production at the time was in its infancy and they were scrapping too many receivers. As such, it was decided to temporarily abandon stamped manufacture until a proper industrial process could be developed and, in 1951, they started to manufacture the milled receiver around which they built the AK Type 2. This could solve the mass manufacturing problem (they could easily drop forge and heat treat a receiver based on technology developed for the RPD during the war). Even if a milled receiver went counter the original AK design principle (heavy, slow and wasteful to manufacture), it was not as wasteful as the Type 1 stamped receiver once scrapping losses were factored-in. The type 2 was manufactured for a couple of years. The stamped receiver production line was slow to come on board so the milled receiver was refined a bit and put in the type 3, which took the AK platform to 1959 when the 1mm stamped receiver AKM was finally born. A 1.5mm version of that receiver would then follow, to be used in the RPK (and later in commercial/export AK variants such as Saigas, Veprs, etc.).

Alternating political tensions within the Warsaw pact, coupled with the fact the USSR didn't really believe in subsidizing military production in satellite countries, meant that most eastern block countries had to go through the same process as the Russians and independently acquire the scale/knowledge of heat treating and other processes required to achieve reliable 1mm stamped receiver production. As a result, some just stuck with forged or 1,5mm receivers for much longer and that's where you get the variety in offerings once you factor in non-Russian production.
When the American civilian market became a significant outlet, some of the heavier receivers were used commercial lines based on premium positioning (heavier can be perceived as higher quality, particularly among those who don't actually use the rifle in their line of work) or other marketing considerations.

This notwithstanding, the AK was designed around a stamped receiver. For as many claims that AK is a copy of the STG (mechanically it actually copies the Garand), this is the one technology that is truly taken from the STG. The soviets saw the RPD as slow to produce and too heavy. When they looked at the STG they saw a rifle that could not practically have been made if it wasn't for stamped steel (handle one and you'll agree)*. The ministry of defense actually cited this specific feature ahead of the trials and all the main rivals of the AK at the competitive test were also based on stamped steel technology.

*The RPD and the STG had essentially the same firepower (both fired an intermediate cartrige at a similar cadence of fire and neither could replace a barrel in combat) but the RPD could only be set up as a squad weapon due to its much larger weight.