Another Long Range Question

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Drmark
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Another Long Range Question

Post by Drmark »

I didn't want to high-jack the other thread on long range.

I have been looking into this rifle some.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/legacy- ... s-65creed/

Thoughts, suggestions, etc.

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Another Long Range Question

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I haven't shot them, but I've seen a lot of good video reviews on them. They seem pretty great for the money. That said, a lot of people compare these to the Tikka T3X rifles, and I'm not sure I've seen a comparison where the shooter tested both of the rifles long-range and then sided with the Howa. If there are budget limitations, you can always go with the bare bones Tikka for now, and then upgrade to a chassis system and put a bunch of bells and whistles on it later.

That one that you linked includes a scope, and I'm not familiar with the brand. If you're looking at something that's for some long-range shooting, invest in good glass.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

What’s “long range” to you? Are you looking at that one because it’s on sale, or is that the limit for your budget?
Drmark

Post by Drmark »

TheAccountant wrote: November 9th, 2021, 10:35 am What’s “long range” to you? Are you looking at that one because it’s on sale, or is that the limit of your budget.
I never thought about what long range is to me. I am looking at that rifle because it seems like it may work, but being a noob, I don't know.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

I meant what distances will you be shooting. To some it’s 10” steel at 500 yards, to others it’s for score or group at 1k, and then there’s the guy that just shot a 1MOA target at 3 miles with his feet.

There are plenty of budget rifles out there. I think you’re better off buying some used $500-$600 Remington/Savage/Ruger/etc and spending the rest on glass. When it’s time to upgrade, put together a semi-custom or custom, move the glass to that rifle, and you’ll have something that’s actually nice.
QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by QuietM4 »

Many questions;

1. What is the goal for this rifle? Precision shooting competitions? Shooting 1 mile, 1,000 yards, 500 yards?
Punching holes in paper or hitting steel for fun is one thing...competing with other shooters for score is quite another.

2. What is your budget for the rifle and scope?
That Nikko Sterling scope that comes with the rifle costs $239...most bipods you see on precision rifles cost more than that....it's not a great scope.

3. Do you reload?
Match grade ammunition for popular calibers right now is either a) very difficult to find or b) incredibly expensive, and usually both a and b.

IMO, there are many better options than the rifle you linked to. It's a $400 rifle in a $250 chassis with a $275 paint job, a $240 scope, and a $50 bipod....it might be a good value if all you want to do is hit a steel plate at 500 yards. If you are looking for a rifle just for shits and giggles, you can still do better and spend less money with other rifle/scope options.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

I think the most overlooked question was:

How much rifle experience do you have?

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Drmark

Post by Drmark »

I stated I am a noob to the long range rifle arena, other than deer hunting years ago.
Last edited by Drmark on November 9th, 2021, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Drmark wrote: November 9th, 2021, 6:09 pm I stated I am a noob to the long range rifle arena, other than dear hunting years ago.
That wasn't an answer to the question. How much rifle experience do you have??? Any and all rifles, period.

Have a great, gun carryin, Kenpo day

Clyde
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

AZ1182 wrote: November 9th, 2021, 7:25 pm
Contact these guys, ask them what they would suggest, buy it, and set yourself up for the next class that you could attend. Glenn knows his stuff.

https://www.independencetraining.com/tr ... rifle-1-2/

What exactly is "his stuff" that he knows??? As someone who instructs H2H skills, there are lots of folks with crap tons of stuff on their resume, and can't fight their way out of wet toilet paper. Interested students think they "know their stuff", mostly because of their ignorance. I've had black belts from other schools not be able to keep up with my purple belts. And others that finally figured out what they were getting was nonsense and not real self defense.

Clyde
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Check out bergara B14 I have one in 6.5 cm it is pretty nice for the $ I have take it out to 750yds no problem I'm sure it is capable of 1k. If I remember correct 140gr match seemed the best at that distance.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

This conversation is going just about like it did when I asked the same question on the old board. :lol:

Here's what I suggest, if I may - grab a decent rifle with a decent scope and go shoot one of the monthly 500 yard prone matches. You'll quickly find out what you and your rifle/scope are capable of, and what you'll need improvement with.

I shot my first 500 yard match using a 16" AR-15 with a Nikon 3-9X BDC reticle, and learned a lot just from that.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

I think that’s the point a few of us have tried to make - if “long range” is 500 yards then just about anything will do.
DoubleAlpha

Post by DoubleAlpha »

Yes, a basic mossberg patriot will do the job no problem at 500 yards. But if you want to go fancy then the bergara suggestion above is spot on.
Nanny18
Banned
Banned

Post by Nanny18 »

Old Jeff H wrote: November 10th, 2021, 2:51 pm This conversation is going just about like it did when I asked the same question on the old board. :lol:

Here's what I suggest, if I may - grab a decent rifle with a decent scope and go shoot one of the monthly 500 yard prone matches. You'll quickly find out what you and your rifle/scope are capable of, and what you'll need improvement with.

I shot my first 500 yard match using a 16" AR-15 with a Nikon 3-9X BDC reticle, and learned a lot just from that.
I wanted to contribute, but I'm also a total noob. I like this suggestion! :clap: