Tavor vs AUG

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
flag45
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: Tavor vs AUG

Post by flag45 »

No FN Fs2000 love?

Actually, being an owner of a FS, i find the tavors a better handling bullpup when i came across them. Felt better balanced (not as front heavy)
Only gripe would be the iron sites on all of them could be better.

Crippledtrigger
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Bullpups and front heavy are mutually exclusive.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

The x95 is not front heavy at all, and can easily be supported with one hand, with accurate shot placement once shouldered.
Doug_262

Post by Doug_262 »

I originally had a MSAR stg556 (aug clone) loved the way it felt but it had problems. Problems caused by that company.

Bought a AUG A3 Nato later on. Also preordered the original Tavor - the SAR back when it was intially announced. Was planning on getting that with its also announced 5.45 caliber kit.

Well the kit was cancelled, my preorder delayed. After handling one at a LGS i cancelled my preorder. It was 50% pissed at the company that i preordered it from (everybody else already had them) & 50% I just did not like the way the Tavor felt. Didnt like the grip & just did not think it was worth its original asking price. This was of course me also mentally comparing it to the AUG I already had back home.

Now I would go SAR over X95 if your set on a Israeli. But also look at the Atrax that should be appearing soon. The US version of the Thales F90/F88. Like a moderner AUG. Loses the fantastic barrel change feature unfortunately.

I still want a 2nd AUG & will eventually get another but will sure get a Atrax if that comes out soon. But gonna wait for the tan export version (its version of the NATO - AR mag stock)
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

GunSmoke wrote: August 9th, 2018, 8:44 pm I only have experience with the x95, but enjoy shooting it as an alternative 2 always shooting AR-15s. Mine has been very reliable. I do have a question though for any Tavor owners who are shooting them suppressed. How did you mount your muzzle device? The Tavor has a jam nut for the flash suppressor. When mounting your quick attach muzzle device for your suppressor, did you remove the jam nut?
Mines set with a SiclencerCo ASR brake. Tossed on some shims to time it and boom works great. I love the X95. Didn't mind the SAR but I didn't like the light mounting options so sold it kept the X95. Wife loves it and now it's her go to rifle. The x95 trigger pack they changed is much nicer too. I never liked any of the Augs I had. The X95 solves most peoples bullpup complaints. If you're going to run it suppressed get the Manitcore side port cover makes life way nicer with all the back pressure. 4,000 rounds through our current X95 and never had a problem with it. Students with no arm strength like it a lot until they hear the price.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

I have been running my x95 with the ASR flashhider, but I ended up removing the jam nut per silencerco's recommendation. I snugged it to the shoulder and secured with rocksett. I put about 150 rounds though it successfully. Thanks for the tip on the left ejection port cover.
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

It's a pretty nice setup suppressed. The ASR setup is the way to go. I run the brakes on everything.

X95.jpg
Quake_Guy

Post by Quake_Guy »

if you run cans and want to be suffocated, but a TAVOR SAR, I hear the X95 is a little better but not much. The AUG has way less blowback and then there is also a gas plug with suppressor settings available.

Aug trigger is way better than the SAR. The X95 is maybe a little better than an Aug. Still unknown if the X95 accuracy issues have ever been understood or defined. I know on AR-15 one guy went above and beyond doing accuracy mods on his X95 and was maybe getting 3 MOA.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

My x95 is not overly gassy, but I'm using a 30 cal can, so maybe I have less back pressure?
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

It's that way with any piston gun. The manticore arms gas port over solves it. I don't know why people get so butthurt over a 2moa or 3moa gun when they don't do s*** with it anyways. Mil spec standard is 2-4 moa and that works. The Israelis give the x95 to the urban troops with M193 ammo to maximize it's purpose and it works great for it. I get great accuracy with mine out to 300-400 and haven't bothered going further with it. The new X95 trigger is great.
madmike

Post by madmike »

I likemy Tavor!
DillyCleo

Post by DillyCleo »

The Keltec RBD is an excellent rifle - significantly less ($) than the Tavor. Its really neat to see those ejected cases fall straight down. If I were going to buy one I would start out with the Keltec.
laabstract

Post by laabstract »

AZ1 wrote: July 12th, 2018, 7:03 pm What about the Keltec RDB?
I had an RFB and played around with the RDB and in terms of quality, my Tavor X95 just seems so much nicer. Also, you have had the Isreali government spend millions on R&D for the Tavor series of rifles, the RDB being a new design does not have the same luxury of being backed by a government.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Crippledtrigger wrote: August 9th, 2018, 10:03 pm Bullpups and front heavy are mutually exclusive.
:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1:
Dogslayer

Post by Dogslayer »

I have both KM arms 5.56 and .308. They are MOA guns with my handloads. The trigger is a thing of beauty. Aprx 3 1/2 lbs. They are a local manufacturer in Chandler. You can pay a visit and check it out. The owner is a really decent guy.
Dogslayer