Tavor vs AUG

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Azgunlover69
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Tavor vs AUG

Post by Azgunlover69 »

I have both the tavor and the msar (Aug clone). Both take pmags and are great shooters. Probably lean a little toward the tavor but I'd easily take shoot either in any situation.

Harrier

Post by Harrier »

That's good info from an owner of both... How is the transition from a regular AR to the bullpup and back? do you have any pros/cons or pref between BP or AR?
madmike

Post by madmike »

Tavor hands down.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

The Tavor is made by the Israeli's. They are at war every day of the week all year long. They make good stuff. The new Tavor 7 will be a game changer in the 308 bullpup race.
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

Does the Tavor offer the adjustable gas system like on the AUG?
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

I never cared for the AUG's toy ray-gun look.
Elheffe

Post by Elheffe »

Aug a3 over a Tavor any day of the week
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

Elheffe....good to see you posting man! I love my A3 Aug, the adjustable gas system allows running a fouled gun that won't take you out of the fight. None of the Tavor fans have shared whether the Tavor has this feature.
desertmoon
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by desertmoon »

Having an AUG and regular access to a Tavor...let me say BOTH are really good guns.

Than being said, for sheer ease of maintenance and quality of engineering, the AUG wins, hands down.

I personally do not like the deep receiver recess in the Tavor....on the AUG everything is easily accessible in fact, next to the M1 Garand style weapons, it is one of the most accessible.

AUGs are known for not having very good trigger pulls, like many bullpup guns, but it is a DREAM next to the Tavor...even with the Tavor's redundant second return spring removed.

To me, the AUG is like a Glock....in rifle format. I think the thing I like about it the most is that is VERY comfortable to carry in the sling mode. Just throw it over your back and forget about it.

The "ultimate" AUG, to me was the A3. I have an A3M1...which has a differently profiled front block that does not allow for a wider variety of long rails that make using back up iron sights a lot easier. I have a Pete's long rail on my A3M1 but with my older eyes I just can't get the front sight focus that I could if I had another two inches of rail out front.

The other thing I am not a fan of, when it comes to the Tavor is that the internals do not seem as robust as the AUG. They appear ( that is NOT to say they are any less tough than an AUG ) a lot more delicate than the massive components in the AUG.
Last edited by desertmoon on November 23rd, 2018, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Always admired the AUG, ever since I was a kid, just never had the cash at the right time. Nice to read about its robust guts. After almost 6 decades it still stands on an excellent reputation.

If the Tavor, being less than 2 decades old, holds up as well in the next half century, it will have earned its place as a combat weapon, as well.

jmho
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

desertmoon wrote: August 5th, 2018, 10:06 am
The other thing I am not a fan of, when it comes to the Tavor is that the internals do not seem as robust as the AUG. They appear ( that is NOT to say they are any less tough than an AUG ) a lot more delicate than the massive components in the AUG.
The Tavor internals are quite Robust. Some time ago I had a squib with follow up (Tracer). The light show inside the chamber was amazing. The only thing that broke was the dust cover on the opposite side of the ejection port. The rest of the internals were just fine and have been running for the last 2 years. Yes I had to buy a new dust cover ($8.92 shipped).
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

storage_man wrote: August 6th, 2018, 10:35 am
The Tavor internals are quite Robust. Some time ago I had a squib with follow up (Tracer). The light show inside the chamber was amazing. The only thing that broke was the dust cover on the opposite side of the ejection port. The rest of the internals were just fine and have been running for the last 2 years. Yes I had to buy a new dust cover ($8.92 shipped).
:shock:
Good to know it held up. Major plus.
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

Now that is impressive, thanks for sharing, confidence inspiring for sure.

desertmoon

Post by desertmoon »

storage_man wrote: August 6th, 2018, 10:35 am
DANG!!!

First: Glad to hear you are okay.

Second: Glad to know the Tavor can stand up to that kind of force. That is awesome!!! Like, Galil level awesome!!!!
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

I only have experience with the x95, but enjoy shooting it as an alternative 2 always shooting AR-15s. Mine has been very reliable. I do have a question though for any Tavor owners who are shooting them suppressed. How did you mount your muzzle device? The Tavor has a jam nut for the flash suppressor. When mounting your quick attach muzzle device for your suppressor, did you remove the jam nut?