Long range rifle question

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
meeneen
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Long range rifle question

Post by meeneen »

I’m looking to get into long range shooting. I am familiar with 300 win mags but a buddy is trying to convince me to go to 300 prc. Anyone have any experience?

delta6

Re: Long range rifle question

Post by delta6 »

meeneen wrote: September 18th, 2021, 1:33 am I’m looking to get into long range shooting. I am familiar with 300 win mags but a buddy is trying to convince me to go to 300 prc. Anyone have any experience?
I shoot with 2 guys from Phoenix that hunt with the 300 PRC. It is a serious cartridge. I have done a lot of long range hunting/shooting and if old age and blood thinners weren't an issue, my choice would be the 300PRC.

Now, if this is gunna be your first trek into LR shooting, my choice would be .308 Win. As with most shooting, LR shooting is more about the fundamentals, angles and the real elephant in the room, your ability to understand and read the wind. Best way to learn those three, is to shoot, a lot and the .308 Win gives you that opportunity at about 3 to 1 over the two cartridges you mentioned.

There is a lot information out there and two of the better sites built around LR shooting:
https://www.snipershide.com/precision-rifle/

https://www.shootsmallgroups.com/

I wish you luck...it's fun!
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Agreed 308 does the trick with most but the longest range shooting. Unless your looking to go outside 1000yds you wont really need more than 308. I have some set up for long shooting you can try if you wish
Basher

Post by Basher »

If it’s your first precision rifle, I’d actually suggest a 6.5mm Creedmoor over a .308WIN in so much that recoil is less and it’s ballistically superior. HOWEVER, the advantages of a .308 are that the heavier recoil and lesser ballistics serve as an excellent platform to learn and perfect the fundamentals. If you can shoot a .308 well, most other cartridges should be easy to shoot well.

I run a .308 and like it, but would welcome a 6.5CM if the budget had room for one. Or more specifically, an AI AT with both barrels. :)
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Learn to walk before you run a marathon. 308 or 6.5 creedmoor. 300PRC is a fantastic LR caliber, but you need to hand load if you expect to get the most out of it.
meeneen

Post by meeneen »

I’ve been shooting 308, for the past 5-6 years. Looking to step into post 1000 meter range. I should have posted more info on that. I agree with all of you that trigger time is more important to get fundamentals down. With that said anyone like one over the other.
Doc

Post by Doc »

meeneen wrote: September 18th, 2021, 2:01 pm I’ve been shooting 308, for the past 5-6 years. Looking to step into post 1000 meter range. I should have posted more info on that. I agree with all of you that trigger time is more important to get fundamentals down. With that said anyone like one over the other.
Are you reloading?

Beyond 1,000M target shooting what other use do you have?

What platform is your 308W?

What’s your rifle budget?

What’s your glass budget?

These will determine the advice I offer.
meeneen

Post by meeneen »

I am not reloading at this time. (Been looking into primers etc and I picked a really bad time to try and get into it).
Beyond 1000meter punching paper or steel, I may use it for hunting at some point (elk, bear).

My 308 is a Remington 700.

Budget for the rifle is 1k-1200
Glass budget is around 6-800
Isnake

Post by Isnake »

delta6 wrote: September 18th, 2021, 6:34 am
meeneen wrote: September 18th, 2021, 1:33 am I’m looking to get into long range shooting. I am familiar with 300 win mags but a buddy is trying to convince me to go to 300 prc. Anyone have any experience?
I shoot with 2 guys from Phoenix that hunt with the 300 PRC. It is a serious cartridge. I have done a lot of long range hunting/shooting and if old age and blood thinners weren't an issue, my choice would be the 300PRC.

Now, if this is gunna be your first trek into LR shooting, my choice would be .308 Win. As with most shooting, LR shooting is more about the fundamentals, angles and the real elephant in the room, your ability to understand and read the wind. Best way to learn those three, is to shoot, a lot and the .308 Win gives you that opportunity at about 3 to 1 over the two cartridges you mentioned.

There is a lot information out there and two of the better sites built around LR shooting:
https://www.snipershide.com/precision-rifle/

https://www.shootsmallgroups.com/

I wish you luck...it's fun!
This.
Doc

Post by Doc »

meeneen wrote: September 25th, 2021, 8:53 pm I am not reloading at this time. (Been looking into primers etc and I picked a really bad time to try and get into it).
Beyond 1000meter punching paper or steel, I may use it for hunting at some point (elk, bear).

My 308 is a Remington 700.

Budget for the rifle is 1k-1200
Glass budget is around 6-800
After reading your intended uses I offer the following suggestions, I’ll preface it with “in my opinion”

Most guys who are competitive at 1k meters practice. And that means a lot of shooting. And a lot of shooting adds up in more than just the cost of ammo, your body has to absorb all that recoil too. But even if you are some bad ass he-man who laughed at the thought of recoil can you really afford double the powder every trigger pull?

You likely won’t enjoy long range target shooting with a magnum anything as much as you will with a lighter and perhaps more capable cartridge than the 6CM. For PAPER punching it really checks a lot of boxes. It’s going to save you money in powder and projos in the long haul and PAPER doesn’t care about down range “knock down power”

There is an extensive amount of knowledge on the 6CM and with faster twist barrels you can really take advantage of the ballistically superior projos being manufactured today. Heck, a guy can even buy some great match grade ammo. Check the shelves, most Sportsmans have 6CM on the shelf….if a guy is willing to pay what they are asking. Most of us who reload buy in bulk for consistency, if you are buying box Ammo, try to stick to the same lot but at a minimum….don’t buy a bunch of different stuff because brass will have varying case capacity from manufacturers. Just trust me on this one.

A 1000m rifle will also vary greatly from a hunting rig in almost every way. Now I’m not saying a guy can’t frame a house with a ball peen hammer….but there’s a better hammer for the job.

If you intention is to be competitive with even yourself at 1000m you really want some weight on that rifle and most guys don’t enjoy tracking game with an 18lb rifle after hauling it around the wilderness.

Most my kills take place inside 100yds, for several reasons but the biggest reason is because I already walk deep into the woods on a hunt, and anything I harvest has to be carried back out.

Yes you did pick the worst time to get into reloading but you also picked the best time to get into glass. Long gone are the days of duplex reticles, funky feeling turrets and SFP rifle scopes. I think your budget can get you some great glass. One I think you should consider is https://www.arkenopticsusa.com if you hate the scope, sell it. They are in high demand. Take the saving on glass and upgrade the trigger in whatever factory rifle you choose.

Your 308w will take elk and bear especially if you develop the skills to be discerning with your shot placement. And if you are getting hits at 1000m I suspect by then you will have developed those skills.

TL;DR:

Look at 6CM for
-cost savings
-less recoil
-ballistic advantage
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

so whats the barrel life of the 300 prc. as i well know the barrel life of a 300 win mag. if only paper punching hmmm, pending use, a new barrel may end up being in the future.
Rj
428cj

Post by 428cj »

You could go with a Rem 700LR in 30:06 in a 26'' barrel and do a good job.
Doc

Post by Doc »

knockonit wrote: September 26th, 2021, 9:23 am so whats the barrel life of the 300 prc. as i well know the barrel life of a 300 win mag. if only paper punching hmmm, pending use, a new barrel may end up being in the future.
Rj
RJ,

This is a good read. https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/300-prc/

Highlights of the 6.5PRC vs 300WM:
-more recoil than 300wm
-less barrel life than 300wm
-If you already have a .300 Win Mag, there’s really not a big reason to upgrade to the 300 PRC unless you just want to

Not from article
Most would agree on barrel life:
300PRC: 1500
300WM: 1700

Here is a spreadsheet in this article you can really get into the weeds:
https://www.accurateshooter.com/technic ... rrel-life/

Sometimes a guy just needs a new barrel and something to renew his internet in the hobby…but I still maintain it’s not a practical choice for 1000m comp shooting unless it’s a 1000m 6.5PRC comp.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

yep, i figure back in the day i was getting good placement, up to about 1k plus or minus rounds, but i was pushing some heat, not any more, the old guy only bruises now, itd be a have to deploy situation, but suspect one wouldn't wanna be in front of me.
good shooting, just trigger time and perseverance
Rj
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

Thought you might like this. Been watching for awhile....