Long range rifle question

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
paulgt2164
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Long range rifle question

Post by paulgt2164 »

AZ1182 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 12:52 pm
then I have zero need to change just so someone else's false assertions can be done by proxy.

If I was going to do anything 6.5 related, it would be a 260 all day every day, because case capacities matter and math still exists.

6.5 can'tmoor.

Go look at 9-hole reviews latest upload using a G3 clone firing corroded 150 ball ammunition at ranges up to 600, 308 is far from dead or being bEaT eAsIlY unless the shooter is highly recoil sensitive, is lazy about holds or doesn't know how to adjust a turret like they're supposed to, and again it's okay to admit that. Nothing wrong about being honest with both us and yourself really.
Lol, Please, show us were 6.5CM touched you inappropriately.

No one in this thread said "308 is dead" or even implied it - so I don't know where you are getting that from. In fact the .308 has a ton of support here.

Also, why hate on the 6.5 so hard? I mean really - it does what it is meant to do quite well. I never see why people want to talk crap about having options or a choice for what meets their goals. 6.5 is a perfectly good "starter" long range cartridge that is commonly available and affordable. Surely you aren't another one of those people who hate something because a bunch of people are talking about it - or because it is "new."

BigNate

Post by BigNate »

paulgt2164 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 1:06 pm
AZ1182 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 12:52 pm
then I have zero need to change just so someone else's false assertions can be done by proxy.

If I was going to do anything 6.5 related, it would be a 260 all day every day, because case capacities matter and math still exists.

6.5 can'tmoor.

Go look at 9-hole reviews latest upload using a G3 clone firing corroded 150 ball ammunition at ranges up to 600, 308 is far from dead or being bEaT eAsIlY unless the shooter is highly recoil sensitive, is lazy about holds or doesn't know how to adjust a turret like they're supposed to, and again it's okay to admit that. Nothing wrong about being honest with both us and yourself really.
Lol, Please, show us were 6.5CM touched you inappropriately.

No one in this thread said "308 is dead" or even implied it - so I don't know where you are getting that from. In fact the .308 has a ton of support here.

Also, why hate on the 6.5 so hard? I mean really - it does what it is meant to do quite well. I never see why people want to talk crap about having options or a choice for what meets their goals. 6.5 is a perfectly good "starter" long range cartridge that is commonly available and affordable. Surely you aren't another one of those people who hate something because a bunch of people are talking about it - or because it is "new."
Yeah - its a curious argument. No one is talking about 500M... minimum range in the discussion was 1000M ish and at that range the 6.5CM does really outperform the .308. Shoot - I'm shooting 77gr 5.56 out to 700M without a ton of challenge. The recommendation for 6.5 CM is as an "entry into LR shooting" cartridge. .300 WM is faster and flatter and longer, its just a good bit more expensive and the .300PRC is much more expensive yet. An entry level long range shooter starting with .300 PRC is like a guy who wants to go circle track racing buying himself a World of Outlaws Sprint Car for his first racing vehicle. If he has enough money to do it he can - but it'll cost him a few hundred thousand dollars to ramp up and he's unlikely to have a lot of success initially - because he'll be competing with people that have he'll have every bit as much fun in a pure stock car, will learn the craft by beating up something that costs him $5,000 instead of $500,000, and is more likely to have success early because a bunch of the guys he'll be racing will be like him... In my example - the clearest comparison is the cost. If you want to cut your teeth on something that costs you $6/round and requires a new barrel every 500 - 1000 rounds - well - god bless you... Have at it...
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

AZ1182 wrote: January 31st, 2022, 5:59 pm Even more curious? That an ignored person would quote me despite knowing that I would never see it unless someone else was quoting them. Straight up narcissism right there. I won't even go to the gaslighting arguments that troll made that you were compelled to follow along with.

Anyways I've been watching and reading on the guys that shoot 284. No 6.5 of any type is beating them, same for 300 WM. Erik Cortina is one just shooter, he's got a forum on his business page for rifle tuners, as well as two YT channels talking with LR shooters in interviews and another for day to day things.

People's money is theirs and not ours to dictate how they to spend, I say don't project, superimpose, or make assertive comments that can and would lead people astray. As for the 6.5 versus 308 arguments, you made some flawed comments that I didn't directly respond to. I've shot both side by side, the was no recoil reduction and I had to use the same holds on at 500. To reach past is where things started to change. But to be honest the 6mm guys are turning the cantmoors into the newer 208 guys. Just the facts. The LR game ain't cheap, not even for those starting out. A 223 bolt gun is a great trainer for reading the wind. It's a better suggestion then throwing them to the wolves at least where money will be pissed away regatrdless.

The other guy (troll) doesn't know or can't math the reason why the expanded case capacity of the 260 easily beats the cantmoor at range, and lacks the critical thinking to understand that both are using the same projectiles.

Let the handwringing of the caliber wars continue though, the status quo still won't change.
I don't know if it is me your calling a "troll" - but if so that is pretty far from the truth. Also, if I am the one you are ignoring - how do I know this? It isn't like people you ignore get a notification of such - News to me, lol. But then again, no big loss for me either.

Still, you don't explain why the hatred for a cartridge that does what it is supposed to do quite well, and you still haven't pointed out where anyone in this thread said .308 is dead?

As far as "caliber warz" and "handwringing" you are the only one who is making this into an argument and using silly little nicknames like "cantmore," making baseless claims like people in here are saying .308 is dead, and calling people names - no one else is - so............
Last edited by paulgt2164 on February 1st, 2022, 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

hehe, yeah, fun stuff, mine, mine, mine
Rj
G34

Post by G34 »

Calibers usually get a bad wrap when bullet selection is not properly used. Shorter barrel 308s with 155s do quite well at mid distance and will be not much different then the .264s

Run the heavies with a long barrel at distance and they do well also.

I had a 260 rpr with a hawk hill barrel and while the MV was slightly greater it wasn’t enough over the CM to make any difference. I just had to pay more attention to over all length on the 260

Unless your shooting comps, your not gonna wear a barrel out in 1000 rounds. That’s an internet thing.imo. I have a 22x47 that has 1200 on it and still hammers inside of 700 with 75s at 3600 fps.
428cj

Post by 428cj »

G34 wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:04 am Calibers usually get a bad wrap when bullet selection is not properly used. Shorter barrel 308s with 155s do quite well at mid distance and will be not much different then the .264s

I had a 260 rpr with a hawk hill barrel and while the MV was slightly greater it wasn’t enough over the CM to make any difference. I just had to pay more attention to over all length on the 260

Unless your shooting comps, your not gonna wear a barrel out in 1000 rounds. That’s an internet thing.imo. I have a 22x47 that has 1200 on it and still hammers inside of 700 with 75s at 3600 fps.
This was done at 1,000 yards with a 24'' barrel.

delta6

Post by delta6 »

428cj wrote: February 1st, 2022, 2:46 pm
G34 wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:04 am Calibers usually get a bad wrap when bullet selection is not properly used. Shorter barrel 308s with 155s do quite well at mid distance and will be not much different then the .264s

This was done at 1,000 yards with a 24'' barrel.

Nice..very nice. Well done :clap:
428cj

Post by 428cj »

Thank you, but a friend I shoot with, did 1 7/8'' at 1,000 yards. But used SMK 175 grain bullets
Last edited by 428cj on February 1st, 2022, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
428cj

Post by 428cj »

:?
Last edited by 428cj on February 1st, 2022, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
428cj

Post by 428cj »

OOPS!
Doc

Post by Doc »

AZ1182 wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:54 am 155's are absolutely awesome, Palma Match guys are killing it even at 1,000.

260's were beating 6.5 cant at 1,000 at the Quantico 1,000 yard shoots. To each their own though.
It’s pretty much the same cartridge. I’d say that comes down to skill being this close.
Doc

Post by Doc »

AZ1182 wrote: February 1st, 2022, 8:00 pm
DevilDocAZ wrote: February 1st, 2022, 6:05 pm
AZ1182 wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:54 am 155's are absolutely awesome, Palma Match guys are killing it even at 1,000.

260's were beating 6.5 cant at 1,000 at the Quantico 1,000 yard shoots. To each their own though.
It’s pretty much the same cartridge. I’d say that comes down to skill being this close.
I heartily disagree, however I really don't care to discuss it any further as I'm not interested in either so there's just no point in it for me, I just happen to note trends in what the Quantico long range shooters are using. AI is no longer making 260 barrels so they've found other sources. That's a lot of money being spent for "just the same" or "comes down to skill" man.

Anyways, 284 and the 6mm wildcats are the ones turning every 6.5 variant into the new 308's to hate on.
Noted.

You have an unfavorable view of my position despite not having any capital investment. You cite conjecture and then close with some well established norm.

May we proceed without further interruption?
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

Careful devil...you'll be on the ignore list too! 😂😂😂Honestly that was AZs best decision ever cuz I love not having him argue stupid pointless nonsense with me every chance he gets.
Doc

Post by Doc »

AZ1182 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 1:23 am
DevilDocAZ wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:57 pm
AZ1182 wrote: February 1st, 2022, 8:00 pm I heartily disagree, however I really don't care to discuss it any further as I'm not interested in either so there's just no point in it for me, I just happen to note trends in what the Quantico long range shooters are using. AI is no longer making 260 barrels so they've found other sources. That's a lot of money being spent for "just the same" or "comes down to skill" man.

Anyways, 284 and the 6mm wildcats are the ones turning every 6.5 variant into the new 308's to hate on.
Noted.

You have an unfavorable view of my position despite not having any capital investment. You cite conjecture and then close with some well established norm.

May we proceed without further interruption?
Translation; you swung a purse at me, I swung mine in return. Then you ran a projection of yourself into me, with that above mess.

So I will ask in return. Are you okay? Are we good now? Or will you be posting more conjecture telling me that they're the same when they are not, and accusing me of doing exactly what you had just done? You have any quantifiable data backing up your claims other than conjecture? Or should it just be me despite you saying unfavorable things without providing the data either? Is that how this is going to work? Alrighty then.

I closed with very well established facts. Go look at who's winning and with what.
More unnecessary interruptions from the member with the most ad hominem responses.

Your reply reads like an overactive child who recently consumed copious amounts of surgery cereal; combined with complete lack of understanding in regards to marketing. I will not close the gap on that statement, you would just argue. Research it yourself.

In closing, you still have no capital in the conversation. You lack a basic understanding of marketing that would reveal the underlying reasons 6.5cm is more prevalent among those who compete. You have a purse and believe I have one as well.

May we now move forward without your continued unnecessary interruptions?

Silly response in 3….2……
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

meeneen wrote: September 18th, 2021, 1:33 am I’m looking to get into long range shooting. I am familiar with 300 win mags but a buddy is trying to convince me to go to 300 prc. Anyone have any experience?
The levels of disconnect and redirect (intentional or unintentional) in this thread are stunning. The original post is above... How we got from advice on whether .300PRC is a good place to start for someone "looking to get into long range shooting" - to the efficacy of .308 at 500 meters is something only the internets can explain.

@meeneen - sorry for cluttering up your thread. I hope you don't let any of this slow down your pursuit of more good, clean, powder / lead / steel fun.