AR-10 AR308 Platform Cartridge Options

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AR-10 AR308 Platform Cartridge Options

Post by BigNate »

WW AZS Do?

I've started shooting some Accurized AR type stuff and am interested in building an AR-10 / AR308 type rifle for that sort of shooting. I'm looking for the following (in order of priority)...

1) Ability to use "standard" AR-10 / AR308 magazines and lowers (not interested in buying a Falkor or NEMO or... XXXX in .300 WMG etc.) Need to keep C.O.A.L. at under about 2.820 (seems some magazines may allow up to 2.870, but...)
2) Flat, fast bullet - wanting to grow my ability to put rounds on steel at 1000+ yards
3) Availability of cases and projectiles for reloading.
4) Availability of parts from multiple sources
5) Magazine Capacity - I'll probably avoid things with a really large case diameter (e.g. .300 WSM) due to the reduced magazine capacity. This is low on the list - I may be talked off of this one - but right now I'd like to maintain a 20 round single mag capacity without using some Frankenstein magazine that makes shooting prone impossible.

I'm not worried about working through tuning the gun / gassing issues / etc. (ok - I hear the 'Yoda' out there saying "you should be... you should be..." - yes - I'm worried about it - but I'll be working through that). Right now I'm considering:

.243 Win
.260 Rem
6.5 Creedmoor

Do you have others that I should consider? TIA

Kinked_Chrome

Re: AR-10 AR308 Platform Cartridge Options

Post by Kinked_Chrome »

6mm creedmoor should be on that list if your considering 243 win.

Most of the new novel cartridges have shorter cases relative to the COAL that will make it easier to meet mag length if you choose a long high bc bullet.

On the flat and fast point, if you are after a fast light bullet, keep in mind that most PRS style matches want you under 3200fps, but if you choose a heavy for caliber bullet that probably wont be an issue.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Agreed. 6mm Creedmore is cool and all, but the heavier 6.5s will buck the wind better, while still recoiling less than a .308Win.

I have a 6.5Creedmore AR10 build in my future.
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

I've stuck with my boring ol LR308. Will do everything on your list except be the "fastest and flattest". Plus, I have commonality of caliber with other rifles. Of what you listed, I'd go 6.5 creed. If you could find a 7mm-08, might be worth considering. Great round, especially if you're going to hand load.
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

iammaxwell wrote: August 17th, 2021, 9:52 pm I've stuck with my boring ol LR308. Will do everything on your list except be the "fastest and flattest". Plus, I have commonality of caliber with other rifles. Of what you listed, I'd go 6.5 creed. If you could find a 7mm-08, might be worth considering. Great round, especially if you're going to hand load.
When I was researching mid to long range, I liked the 7mm ballistics.

I stayed with .308Win and 300WM.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

300WM fits in a standard 308/AR10 lower?
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

Fits in a Remington 700 Sendero bolt action rifle.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

TheJediknight wrote: August 18th, 2021, 9:55 am Fits in a Remington 700 Sendero bolt action rifle.
I have a stainless 700 SPS in 300WM, so I already have ammo. I've been thinking about doing an AR10, but was on the fence about caliber. If 300WM was straight forward, I'd go that route.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

iammaxwell wrote: August 17th, 2021, 9:52 pm I've stuck with my boring ol LR308. Will do everything on your list except be the "fastest and flattest". Plus, I have commonality of caliber with other rifles. Of what you listed, I'd go 6.5 creed. If you could find a 7mm-08, might be worth considering. Great round, especially if you're going to hand load.
I have an Armalite AR-10(T) that I really like - but I'm looking to build another in a faster / flatter caliber.

I'll add the 7MM-08 to my list to review / consider. Thanks!
Last edited by BigNate on August 18th, 2021, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

I would like a one chambered in 308 or 300.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

XJThrottle wrote: August 18th, 2021, 8:26 am 300WM fits in a standard 308/AR10 lower?
No - it does not. There are a few companies that are building "AR" looking rifles in .300WM but they really are not close to the "standard" AR-10 (despite the fact that there is no real standard for AR-10 / 308AR pattern rifles) due to the longer cartridge.

I understand that you CAN get bolt and barrel for .300WSM .300RSAUM and some of the other short mags - and that these can be loaded to a COAL that works in the "standard" AR-10 platform guns - but that the case is so much fatter than the 7.62X51 that the magazines were made for that you end up with an almost single stack magazine situation which I want to avoid.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

XJThrottle wrote: August 18th, 2021, 10:01 am
TheJediknight wrote: August 18th, 2021, 9:55 am Fits in a Remington 700 Sendero bolt action rifle.
I have a stainless 700 SPS in 300WM, so I already have ammo. I've been thinking about doing an AR10, but was on the fence about caliber. If 300WM was straight forward, I'd go that route.

.300WM AR can be very "straightforward" - you buy a one-off gun... https://falkordefense.com/petra/ . Lots of coin - and not something that will be easy to tweak down-stream if you want to modify it. If I had a spare $9K - $10K laying around (don't forget glass) with nothing better to do - I might buy one... Kids in college have first dibs on that money... ;-)

Unfortunately - it is not a cartridge that works in any of the "standard" AR pattern buildable guns.
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

BigNate wrote: August 18th, 2021, 10:53 am

.300WM AR can be very "straightforward" - you buy a one-off gun... https://falkordefense.com/petra/ . Lots of coin - and not something that will be easy to tweak down-stream if you want to modify it. If I had a spare $9K - $10K laying around (don't forget glass) with nothing better to do - I might buy one... Kids in college have first dibs on that money... ;-)

Unfortunately - it is not a cartridge that works in any of the "standard" AR pattern buildable guns.

you are right , when i went to look , i'll be darned if they weren't 300AAC.

Found this....

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm ... ry_ID=2032
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

TheJediknight wrote: August 18th, 2021, 11:52 am

Found this....

Neeato... I shudder to think of the cost of a day out shooting with the kids... and hearing them mag-dump rounds that cost $8.00 each. :shock:

I guess the guy who buys a $6000 semi-auto rifle is OK paying between $4.00 - $8.00 per round to feed it...
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

BigNate wrote: August 18th, 2021, 4:13 pm
TheJediknight wrote: August 18th, 2021, 11:52 am

Found this....

Neeato... I shudder to think of the cost of a day out shooting with the kids... and hearing them mag-dump rounds that cost $8.00 each. :shock:

I guess the guy who buys a $6000 semi-auto rifle is OK paying between $4.00 - $8.00 per round to feed it...
Not really any different that mag dumping a 300BO loaded with subs.