Offset RMR instead of back up irons.

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
9x19mm
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Offset RMR instead of back up irons.

Post by 9x19mm »

I think I am going to add an offset RMR as a back up to my lpvo insted of buis.
Any input from others that have done so? What size dot did you use?

9x19mm

Re: Offset RMR instead of back up irons.

Post by 9x19mm »

Got it installed today. I went with the 3.5 MOA dot RMR. So far so good, it feels natural transitioning from the scope to the RMR.
Maybe think I should have gotten the bigger MOA dot.
Attachments
20210811_142431.jpg
QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by QuietM4 »

Isn't one of the largest reasons for BUIS is so that you have a fail safe backup for your main optic? Adding a battery powered device isn't my idea of a fail safe option. If your rifle setup is for something like 3-gun, go for it. But if you think you can't use a 4x scope for CQB, you easily can. An RMR is a robust optic to be sure, but it can fail under the right conditions...like you not changing the battery, or you forget to turn it on.

If your intention was to use the RMR as a true backup, then yes, I would have gone with the larger dot.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Whatever floats yer boat.
If it's really bad and yer number is up. It won't matter.

Had a dpms with a aimpoint M2?
Forgot about it on the bed as I was packing up. I took off. And it slid off. The sling caught on the hitch. And I dragged it like a retard for about a 1/3? 1/2? mile before I realized it. Beat the everyliving bejeezus outta it. Muzzle solidly has rock wedged in FH, barrel full of dirt/tiny rocks, aimpoint DOA (got it replaced later), rear sight bent to hell, front sight gone, stock and handguard totaled, bare aluminum all over.
Alumi-hide can only cover so much sin. :whistle:
Pops never let me live that one down when he saw what happened. :naughty:

Years later my sling broke on my 6920. Sending that with my new aimpoint PRO also careening down a hillside. Javelined into the dirt. Filled the barrel with about 3 inches of mud and little rocks. Broke the cheap m4 stock, and bent the tube 3inches from the end. Hand guards were well chipped.
Again beat the bejeezus outta the aimpoint. Still worked-ish. The rear buis was only the base. The sight was ripped off somewhere and again the front post wings were bent slightly and the post was broken off to a nubbin.

Never told pops about that one.

I am a true believer in the AR now. They can take a savage beating and still be repairable.

After those 2 experiences I don't bother with expensive iron sights anymore with my luck.

I gots skillz apparently.
TJMX397

Post by TJMX397 »

792mauser wrote: August 20th, 2021, 10:21 pm Whatever floats yer boat.
If it's really bad and yer number is up. It won't matter.

Had a dpms with a aimpoint M2?
Forgot about it on the bed as I was packing up. I took off. And it slid off. The sling caught on the hitch. And I dragged it like a retard for about a 1/3? 1/2? mile before I realized it. Beat the everyliving bejeezus outta it. Muzzle solidly has rock wedged in FH, barrel full of dirt/tiny rocks, aimpoint DOA (got it replaced later), rear sight bent to hell, front sight gone, stock and handguard totaled, bare aluminum all over.
Alumi-hide can only cover so much sin. :whistle:
Pops never let me live that one down when he saw what happened. :naughty:

Years later my sling broke on my 6920. Sending that with my new aimpoint PRO also careening down a hillside. Javelined into the dirt. Filled the barrel with about 3 inches of mud and little rocks. Broke the cheap m4 stock, and bent the tube 3inches from the end. Hand guards were well chipped.
Again beat the bejeezus outta the aimpoint. Still worked-ish. The rear buis was only the base. The sight was ripped off somewhere and again the front post wings were bent slightly and the post was broken off to a nubbin.

Never told pops about that one.

I am a true believer in the AR now. They can take a savage beating and still be repairable.

After those 2 experiences I don't bother with expensive iron sights anymore with my luck.

I gots skillz apparently.
Sweet mother of Pete...my wallet hurt just reading that! I like the idea of a RDS instead of BUIS, especially now that my vision is starting to suck. Might have to give this a try.