Ruger Ranch 5.56 Question

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Ruger Ranch 5.56 Question

Post by QuietM4 »

A favor to ask from anyone who has a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56...could you measure the barrel diameter at the muzzle for me? If it tapers, which I assume it does, could you measure 2.5" back from the muzzle, or wherever the largest measurement between the threads and 2.5" back?

Reason is that I have an old school Surefire suppressor that uses a muzzle adapter that covers approx 2.5" of the barrel, and I need to know if it will slip over the barrel, or if the barrel diameter is too large for it to fit over. It was designed to fit over a standard M4 profile barrel, so anything thicker than 0.750" isn't going work.

I know the original Ruger American Ranch had a flare at the muzzle, but the newer models do not...but I can't find any data on the current barrel diameter.

Thanks in advance!

Ballistic Therapy

Re: Ruger Ranch 5.56 Question

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I don't have a micrometer handy , but using a tape measure it is just under 3/4 inches.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Awesome, thanks!
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: August 7th, 2021, 5:27 pm I don't have a micrometer handy , but using a tape measure it is just under 3/4 inches.
Have you been happy with your rifle? I'll end up having to order one off Gun Broker, haven't seen any locally.
Ballistic Therapy

I really like it.
It is accurate and fun to shoot.
I have shot it quite a bit and have no complaints.
The only thing I did to it was put a Leupold scope on it.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I'm slightly disappointed that all the chassis I see for the Amerian Rifle platform don't allow the use of a standard AR magazine....I don't want to use an AI pattern mag...using an AR mag is kind of the whole point of this rifle. Boyd's At One stock will work with an AR mag, but it's not exactly the type of stock I'm looking for. The OEM Ruger stock isn't horrible, but it's not great. I would be adding a kydex cheek rest and stiffening the stock by adding epoxy into the forend. Nodak Spud makes a set of iron sights for the Ranch Rifle, so I'm thinking of just using those, or just adding a red dot zeroed for 200M. Lots of options...
Ballistic Therapy

I don't really care for the factory stock either , but I haven't been able to find an aftermarket one that I care for , but this one works fine for what I use the gun for.
r0ttie1

Post by r0ttie1 »

QuietM4 wrote: August 26th, 2021, 7:44 pm I'm slightly disappointed that all the chassis I see for the Amerian Rifle platform don't allow the use of a standard AR magazine....I don't want to use an AI pattern mag...using an AR mag is kind of the whole point of this rifle. Boyd's At One stock will work with an AR mag, but it's not exactly the type of stock I'm looking for. The OEM Ruger stock isn't horrible, but it's not great. I would be adding a kydex cheek rest and stiffening the stock by adding epoxy into the forend. Nodak Spud makes a set of iron sights for the Ranch Rifle, so I'm thinking of just using those, or just adding a red dot zeroed for 200M. Lots of options...
Mine takes Magpul magazines.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Pretty interesting (or irritating) how they recycle terms... I was about to go measure the barrel on my Ruger Ranch Rifle (mini-14)... At a glance the "Ruger American Ranch Rifle" has absolutely NOTHING in common with the "Ruger Ranch Rifle" - except perhaps caliber in some cases. Kind of like Ford trying to capitalize on the Mustang name by calling their electric SUV a "Mustang." Silly.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Picked one up today at Sportsmans. Wasn't expecting to find one, but there it was for $519. Everything I saw online was sold out, GB had them for $559, so I walked out of Sportsmans with a new rifle. And, surprisingly a set if reloading dies and some 69gr SMK's that I was shocked to see on the shelf.

Anyways...let the accessory modding begin!