9mm Mag Adapter Recommendations

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Seif
ArizonaShooting.org Member

9mm Mag Adapter Recommendations

Post by Seif »

Looking to get into the PCC world. I currently have a couple stamped lowers so I thought of converting one to run 9mm. What are your thoughts on mag block adapters. I know Hahn makes a great one but are there any others that run well. Pros and cons top load vs bottom load etc. I’m pretty sure I will run the colt style mags as I don’t own any Glock mags so I will be buying mags as well.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

Limper
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: 9mm Mag Adapter Recommendations

Post by Limper »

I currently have an American Spirit Arms (ASA) Colt pattern drop in (top) 9mm adapter. Used to have the ASA UZI pattern one also, but sold that carbine to a friend because he had so much fun with it. Both of them work well and have had no issues with them (thousands of rounds fired). I have no experience with other adapters but I liked the drop in so I could use an existing lower. I don't think ASA is around anymore but the Hahn one looks similar. Not sure the pros and cons of top/bottom loading adapters.

As far as mags, I have ten 32rd ASC Colt pattern mags that have worked well/reliably and are not too expensive. Other places list them cheaper than J&G but J&G has them in stock.

https://www.jgsales.com/asc-ar-15-9mm-3 ... 63076.html

FYI, Colt mags are a pain to top off by hand so BUY a Lula loader for them.

https://grabagun.com/maglula-magazine-l ... -lula.html
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I have an old VM Hytec Uzi mag adapter that just inserts like a 5.56 magazine into an unmodified mag well. It was the preferred type 15 years ago, but there are better options now. It's main advantage today, however, is that you can use it to experiment with whether you like the whole 9mm PCC thing without permanently altering your lower AND that it used Uzi mags, which are robust, reliable and affordable.

I'll let mine go cheap.

zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

If Seif doesn't want the VM adapter I'm interested in it. I'll PM my phone number.
Yellowcarbon

Post by Yellowcarbon »

The VM-Hytec is great for SBR lowers as they are quickly changed out. So you can have a 5.56 and 9mm upper to switch between at the range.

ImageShort barrel rifle 9mm AR15 by yellowcarbon
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I was in the same boat a while ago...had a spare registered lower sitting in my safe. I went with the MEAN Arms Endo mag adapters. I think we all have a few PMags laying around, and I didn't want to have to go buy other mags to use along with a magwell adapter. Plus, I could use all the same mag pouches, etc. If you already have a bunch of Glock, Uzi, Colt, etc mags laying around, the magwell adapter may make more sense financially.

Just slapped on a PSA 9mm upper, and it ran like a champ. Only niggles I had was that there is no last round bolt hold open, and if ejector is built into the magazine adapter...so if you need to "show clear" before you finish a magazine, you have to reach up and knock the round out of the bolt with your finger. It was never an issue for me, but just be aware.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Geezus, do some research first, then ask about one that you like. I've got 5 different adapters for different mags, I'm not going to explain them here.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... r+for+ar15

Clyde
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I went with Stern as I had glock mags for my GST-9.
was21

Post by was21 »

kenpoprofessor wrote: July 9th, 2021, 4:45 pm Geezus, do some research first, then ask about one that you like. I've got 5 different adapters for different mags, I'm not going to explain them here.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... r+for+ar15

Clyde
THIS^^
You need to be careful mixing and matching on the 9mm uppers.
Mags/adapter/barrel extensions....
Did a lot of business turning stuff around that guys just threw together.
A little homework on mfg’s websites is recommended.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

i just ordered a sylvan adapter be the first adapter i've used, but have been unable to get the 9jmm lower i wanted so going this route
happy sunday
rj
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

knockonit wrote: July 11th, 2021, 4:03 pm i just ordered a sylvan adapter be the first adapter i've used, but have been unable to get the 9jmm lower i wanted so going this route
happy sunday
rj

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

since i couldn't find a dedicated 9mm lower in my budget area, i purchased a sylvan mag block, very reasonable, simple as pie to install.

gave it a go today in pistol version of 9mm gat, glock mag use, and ran flawlessly, about 20 rounds, as i purchased several of the slyvans, and i did purchase a cmmg i thing colt mag block, so looks like i'll have another one or two to assemble and chat about
Rj