AR versus AK - which is better? Why?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)

Which is the overall better firearm?

AK-type
31%
AR-type
69%

Total votes: 89

lew
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: AR versus AK - which is better? Why?

Post by lew »

thom wrote: July 16th, 2018, 11:59 am Isn't the Tavor a better combination of both rifles together?
Thom
If you prefer a bullpup, sure. For the majority that don't, I don't see what advantage it offers over an AR.

17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

I own quite a few ARs of many calibers. I do not own any AKs. That being said, The AR platform is an easy gun to work with, Its Like a Glock. all calibers are basically the same. However they need to be fired wet and if they are not wet they will lock up and freeze. An AK can be shot wet, dry, full of dirt etc and are notably more reliable. You will however learn from experience how not to burn yourself with the AK.
thom

Post by thom »

lew wrote: July 17th, 2018, 10:00 am
thom wrote: July 16th, 2018, 11:59 am Isn't the Tavor a better combination of both rifles together?
Thom
If you prefer a bullpup, sure. For the majority that don't, I don't see what advantage it offers over an AR.
The new tavor ,X95, have features like more similiar to an AR, and the actions of an AK, I thought. Along with having a 16 inch barrel.
JMpcc17
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by JMpcc17 »

"Not sure how that has any bearing whatsoever on the topic of their respective performance."

Perhaps (in this case) I should clarify. My answer was as specific as the OP's question.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Ok. I have read all of this. It's a loaded question. Here are the facts
1. Ar platforms are yes easier to work on and change into any configuration you want.
2. Ar platforms are more finicky with ammo. Brass only no steel.
3. We all know, well at least us veterans. Ar15's run wet. That means you use oil a lot.
4. Parts are everywhere. I mean all over the place. Every Tom, Dick and Harry have parts.
5. They are weather and terrain finicky as well.
Now the AK
1. Hard to work on.
2. Special tools more so than the AR15
3. You will need a 2 to 8 ton press
4. Parts are harder to come by.
5.AK rifles eat any ammo you put in them they don't care.
6.Jungle, Desart, swamp and mud it just keeps on going. You can run it dry or pee on it for lubrication.

Usually the understanding is when you get into country ,you pick up whatever they are using. That way when they hear it going off they think it's one of their own.
In the end if you are in a dry, clean place and have oil use a AR15. If you are outside in the mud or sand and it's raining pick up the AK
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

Ranger1 wrote: July 19th, 2018, 3:39 pm Ok. I have read all of this. It's a loaded question. Here are the facts
1. Ar platforms are yes easier to work on and change into any configuration you want.
2. Ar platforms are more finicky with ammo. Brass only no steel.
3. We all know, well at least us veterans. Ar15's run wet. That means you use oil a lot.
4. Parts are everywhere. I mean all over the place. Every Tom, d*** and Harry have parts.
5. They are weather and terrain finicky as well.
Now the AK
1. Hard to work on.
2. Special tools more so than the AR15
3. You will need a 2 to 8 ton press
4. Parts are harder to come by.
5.AK rifles eat any ammo you put in them they don't care.
6.Jungle, Desart, swamp and mud it just keeps on going. You can run it dry or pee on it for lubrication.

Usually the understanding is when you get into country ,you pick up whatever they are using. That way when they hear it going off they think it's one of their own.
In the end if you are in a dry, clean place and have oil use a AR15. If you are outside in the mud or sand and it's raining pick up the AK
I agree with Ranger1 For the most part. However, You can run steel cases all day long in an AR. That is not necessarily true with an M16 tho. That is where he has some confusion. My first 2 AR15s, Before I started reloading, I ran Tulammo 223 exclusively and probably went thru 20-30K rounds of it.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

flutes3.jpg
flutes3.jpg (82.61 KiB) Viewed 9892 times
flutes2.jpg
flutes1.jpg
flutes1.jpg (4.94 KiB) Viewed 9892 times
Well here is the deal. Stoner never made the AR to take steel cases. Chamber tolerances, the way the locking lugs work and the extractor design never had steel cases in mind.

Here are the differences in the chambers you can get in the AR15

•The first is the Mil-Spec 5.56mm chamber, which is used in the M16 and M4.
•The second is the .223 chamber, the most common chamber in AR-15 rifles, although you can
get AR-15s with a 5.56mm chamber
•The third is a .223 Match chamber, which is used in AR-15s by serious competitive AR-15 shooters.
Even with all these options they still don't like the steel cases.

M16 and AR15 (Armalite Rifle 15) chambers are basically the same other than the three from above.

The problems you are going to face with steel cased ammo.
1. Stuck cases
2. Double feeds
3. Broken extractors
Our army and country run brass cased ammo not steel. Everyone I have ever encountered that tried to run steel cases dry stuck cases starting around the first 35 to 40 rounds. When the AR heats up and you have steel on steel going on and that's when you have malfunctions. I'm not saying you can't run steel in your AR, I have. I get 40 rounds through it before I have issues. Using a lot of oil I get 80 before experiencing problems. I fixed all me issues when I had my chamber fluted like the HK91. After that I never had a problem. But we are not talking about modified AR's, we are talking about AR's off the shelf from the factory.
Here are some pictures of fluted chambers and a case once fired from a fluted chamber.
Last edited by Ranger1 on July 20th, 2018, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

I was referring to my DPMS Oracle and and my Del-Ton Echo 3:16. Never had an issue. I would run 3-500 rounds with my wife thru each gun, one mag after the other. Pew pew pew pew
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Your are very lucky to have a wife that wants to shoot with you. Mine hates shooting.
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

Ranger1 wrote: July 20th, 2018, 8:55 am Your are very lucky to have a wife that wants to shoot with you. Mine hates shooting.
Well, she will be in a bad place if she ever encounters the bad guy. My wife carries a .380ACP and packs a GP100 357 4" in the glove. She also goes shooting with me anytime I ask if she wants to go.
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

If she did not like to go shooting, she would still be my girlfriend, Maybe.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Ranger1 wrote: July 20th, 2018, 8:25 am flutes3.jpgflutes2.jpgflutes1.jpgWell here is the deal. Stoner never made the AR to take steel cases. Chamber tolerances, the way the locking lugs work and the extractor design never had steel cases in mind.

Here are the differences in the chambers you can get in the AR15

•The first is the Mil-Spec 5.56mm chamber, which is used in the M16 and M4.
•The second is the .223 chamber, the most common chamber in AR-15 rifles, although you can
get AR-15s with a 5.56mm chamber
•The third is a .223 Match chamber, which is used in AR-15s by serious competitive AR-15 shooters.
Even with all these options they still don't like the steel cases.

M16 and AR15 (Armalite Rifle 15) chambers are basically the same other than the three from above.

The problems you are going to face with steel cased ammo.
1. Stuck cases
2. Double feeds
3. Broken extractors
Our army and country run brass cased ammo not steel. Everyone I have ever encountered that tried to run steel cases dry stuck cases starting around the first 35 to 40 rounds. When the AR heats up and you have steel on steel going on and that's when you have malfunctions. I'm not saying you can't run steel in your AR, I have. I get 40 rounds through it before I have issues. Using a lot of oil I get 80 before experiencing problems. I fixed all me issues when I had my chamber fluted like the HK91. After that I never had a problem. But we are not talking about modified AR's, we are talking about AR's off the shelf from the factory.
Here are some pictures of fluted chambers and a case once fired from a fluted chamber.
There is at least one AR manufacturer that is doing fluted chambers right from the factory.

It seems the AR wasn't a perfect design, no matter what the fanbois might claim.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

LOL, plenty of ARs can shoot steel cased ammo all day long.
And you don't need a spray bottle of CLP to keep one functioning.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Who is making the fluted chamber?
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Tim McBride wrote: July 21st, 2018, 2:22 am LOL, plenty of ARs can shoot steel cased ammo all day long.
And you don't need a spray bottle of CLP to keep one functioning.
I'm interested in knowing which ones can shoot steal cased ammo all day long without problems. Do you have a list. I do distruction testing for Elftmann Tactical Trigger and brass cases ammo is expensive. Now that I know I won't have a problem with steel I will start buying it, just need to know those barrel manufacturers you are talking about.