AR versus AK - which is better? Why?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)

Which is the overall better firearm?

AK-type
31%
AR-type
69%

Total votes: 89

Three56
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: AR versus AK - which is better? Why?

Post by Three56 »

Never owned an ak that was up to my accuracy expectations.

Galil being the exception.

Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Three56 wrote: September 4th, 2018, 3:23 pm Never owned an ak that was up to my accuracy expectations.

Galil being the exception.
With my Saiga (EOTech/5x multi) I can hit man sized targets from point blank out to 500yds at the range. What more do you need? It's not like a bad guy is less dead because I didn't shoot a tight group in his chest. 122-154grs (depending on cartridge) to the body is better then 55-62gr.

The AK was never meant to be a competition rifle.
curtmini14

Post by curtmini14 »

with the intro of the 6.5 grendel your point is kinda moot eh.very effective out to 800 for sure 1000 if your really into it.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

curtmini14 wrote: September 7th, 2018, 6:33 pm with the intro of the 6.5 grendel your point is kinda moot eh.very effective out to 800 for sure 1000 if your really into it.
I believe the thrust of the discussion was based on 5.56 AR vs 7.62x39 AK. But if you are going to throw other calibers into the mix then the .308 AR made the same mark long before 6.5G was even thought of.

And yes I agree the 6.5G is a great caliber and what the military should switch to. However I still wouldn't own an AR even if chambered in it.
Zanehenson
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Zanehenson »

Both are outstanding tools but it ultimately comes down to what your goal is and what you are most acclimated to manipulating. To me the Ar is a much easier system to use and thus I choose it.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

My preference is the AR platform for the simple reason variety and commonality.

I own 9 different caliber ARs in everything from 22lr, through 9mm & 45acp, up to 458SOCOM. They vary from pistol, through SBR, to long range rifle. They all operate the same and all the controls are the same. The variety of options available allow me to build a firearm for almost any situation I can think of.

While I like AKs and I own a couple, I have nowhere near the flexibility that comes with the AR platform.

To me it is similar to my 4X4s. I like power windows, power seats, AC, Bluetooth, Satellite radio, etc. 98% of the time those features are what gets used. 2% of the time I need 4X4 and locking differentials.

I am past the age of going to Afghanistan but I have ample, reliable, AR weaponry for the 2% possibility of something happening here.

Ooops a postscript: The 8.6 Creedmoor looks very promising. That would round out the caliber count to 10
tripletap

Post by tripletap »

OK, i collect AK's Russian and Chinese mostly , but im love them.

I ordered a couple of Ultimak M2B rails for my fav mak 90's and i got red dots from Holosun. HS430C i think.

if I may.. anyone else use a red dot from Holosun? i paid 100 today from a guy in town, but i already ordered one at at cabelas. they were 198.00 i think but with 2 days shipping for cabelas black members I thought what the hell, Ill just have 2 of them- thoughts on Holosun? Should i have bought something else?
azrik

Post by azrik »

I've got the HS515CU (circle dot) and so far I'm pretty impressed with it. Prior sights are the SPARC version I and II and the Bushnell TRS25. I feel they are on par or better with them with longer , much longer battery life. I really like not fussing with turning on and off. The auto bright works well even in bright sun.
Putting one on the Ultimak rail with be the real test as they get a lot of shock and thermal cycling up front.
Let us know how it's held up when you get to the thousand round mark.
Arplatform

Post by Arplatform »

I have to go AR because of reasons mentioned above by ynot and others. Too many options with the AR and I find the accuracy to be the final death blow to AK in this match.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

tripletap wrote: December 12th, 2018, 7:46 pm if I may.. anyone else use a red dot from Holosun? i paid 100 today from a guy in town, but i already ordered one at at cabelas. they were 198.00 i think but with 2 days shipping for cabelas black members I thought what the hell, Ill just have 2 of them- thoughts on Holosun? Should i have bought something else?
Holosun is coming on strong as a reputable, well made, moderately priced product
Back on track............AR, flexibility all the way
87jeep

Post by 87jeep »

The one that has ammo at my local National Guard depot. Just sayin"

Carry on
hackopt

Post by hackopt »

in usa, ar.
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

I wouldn't run an AR without a self-lubricated bolt... nickel, chrome, NP3, etc.
lew

Post by lew »

hairygreek wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 5:46 am I wouldn't run an AR without a self-lubricated bolt... nickel, chrome, NP3, etc.
Why? Plenty of ARs run fine without them. Keeping the parts lubricated is more important than any particular surface treatment.

[For what it's worth, most of mine run either nitrided or nickel boron'ed bolt components, or a mixture of each.]
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

lew wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 1:49 pm
hairygreek wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 5:46 am I wouldn't run an AR without a self-lubricated bolt... nickel, chrome, NP3, etc.
Why? Plenty of ARs run fine without them. Keeping the parts lubricated is more important than any particular surface treatment.

[For what it's worth, most of mine run either nitrided or nickel boron'ed bolt components, or a mixture of each.]
To me that's the weak point of the system vs AK, the lesser pressure putting the bolt home. Messing around with the bolt in military made me lose confidence in it (even though I had only 1-2 malfunctions shooting.) If you put the bolt into battery slowly it can stick and not close... this was with parked bolt parts. So I think this is fixed by using already slick parts.

That said I do like the design where the rings on bolt can be replaced when worn.