6.5 Grendel opinions???

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
mike400
ArizonaShooting.org Member

6.5 Grendel opinions???

Post by mike400 »

Thinking of building one with an 18" barrel. I have heard everything from its a tack driver to its just so so. Like to hear from some with experience in this caliber??? Worth it?

Steve_In_29

Re: 6.5 Grendel opinions???

Post by Steve_In_29 »

The 6.5 Grendel was designed to slightly improve on the 7.62x39 ballistics while being compatible with the AR platform.

Given that I wouldn't expect match type accuracy out of the cartridge.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I should find out in a couple weeks. Just need to decide on optics for it.

The only time I've seen people be "meh" about it is when using shitty/cheap ammo.
Seif

Post by Seif »

I know a lot of people in the predator hunting world use it with great success.
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

I have an 18" Grendel now and have owned several others, any good quality barrel will deliver 1 moa or less accuracy in my experience when using quality ammo. The round is far superior to the old Russian round. With even an 18" barrel the bullet stays supersonic past 1000 yards. The most info in one place for 6.5 Grendel shooters is at http://www.65grendel.com
lew

Post by lew »

Steve_In_29 wrote: July 1st, 2018, 9:30 am The 6.5 Grendel was designed to slightly improve on the 7.62x39 ballistics while being compatible with the AR platform.

The Grendel's case is based on the 7.62x39 case, but only in a roundabout way. That's where any similarity ends. It has more in common with 6 PPC. The Grendel is a very accurate cartridge (unless you're shooting Wolf, which is just blasting ammo). Think of it as the little brother of 6.5 Creedmoor- while the velocity and, therefore, range is lower, it fits in a small-frame AR and performs very well out of short barrels.

I was set on building a 12" Grendel pistol, but, between 5.56 and 6.5CM, my requirements are covered. The Grendel is a very capable cartridge within its performance envelope.
Viper 1-26 INF

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

I've got an 18" and 12.5" 6.5 Grendel. With good barrel (Satern), ammo (123gr Lapua Scenar) mine is sub MOA at 100. My 12.5" (Faxon barrel) is good to 800 meters, you could shoot it further, but energy is dropping pretty low at that point. I shoot Wolf in the 12.5" to 300 meters when out having fun (definitely cuts down on the cost), but you definitely lose out on the accuracy/precision potential of the caliber. When I shoot the Lapua in the 12.5", it is on par with the 18" from an accuracy/precision standpoint.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

lew wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 10:55 am
Steve_In_29 wrote: July 1st, 2018, 9:30 am The 6.5 Grendel was designed to slightly improve on the 7.62x39 ballistics while being compatible with the AR platform.

The Grendel's case is based on the 7.62x39 case, but only in a roundabout way. That's where any similarity ends. It has more in common with 6 PPC. The Grendel is a very accurate cartridge (unless you're shooting Wolf, which is just blasting ammo). Think of it as the little brother of 6.5 Creedmoor- while the velocity and, therefore, range is lower, it fits in a small-frame AR and performs very well out of short barrels.

I was set on building a 12" Grendel pistol, but, between 5.56 and 6.5CM, my requirements are covered. The Grendel is a very capable cartridge within its performance envelope.
I NEVER said the round was "based" on the x39.

The simple fact is that the STATED goal of the round's designers was to "better the performance of the 7.62x39 and allow the new cartridge to be used from an otherwise standard AR and mag ".
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

I built a Grendel a few months ago. I have a 24" 1:7, and its not a 300 yard gun. Its a 600 -1100 yards gun. 18" barrel is not prime for this round. 20"+ is what you want to do. I have a Vortex Gen1 PST 6-24x50 FFP scope on mine. This AR rifle is definitely meant to reach out ant touch someone with superb accuracy. You will also want to be sure and roll your own rounds for this gun cause the store bought ones suck a$$ and are very expensive unless you by crap ammo and then you get you pay for. Unlike the bolt action in the same caliber you are limited as to what fits in the magazine as far eliminating your free-bore. I used BLC-2 and CFE to start but they were not exactly tac drivers so now i am using IMR 8208 XBR with 123gr SST bullets bet depending on what you want to do with the rifle you can go down to 90 gr bullets. I am using Starfire brass and they are $125 for 250 peices (new)
lew

Post by lew »

Steve_In_29 wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 1:01 pm
lew wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 10:55 am

I NEVER said the round was "based" on the x39.

The simple fact is that the STATED goal of the round's designers was to "better the performance of the 7.62x39 and allow the new cartridge to be used from an otherwise standard AR and mag ".
Well "slightly improve" is hardly correct either, as the Grendel is way more accurate and effective at longer ranges.
TheRifleman

Post by TheRifleman »

I have 6.5 Grendel in an 18” barrel and while I think it’s a great rifle, if I had to do it all over again I would go with the 6mm version. I think the 123’s are a bit large for the case, but from what I’ve seen the 6mm 107’s are just about perfect.
mike400

Post by mike400 »

Well I took the plunge and ordered the 18" barrel and parts. As soon as I get it up and running I will give a review. I went with the Brownells barrel that came with a matching headspaced bolt. I have high hopes for this one.
mike400

Post by mike400 »

Well I built an 18" with a Brownells premium barrel and I went out yesterday. This was my last 3 shot group at 100 yards. I am SOLD!!! Factory American eagle 120grn OTM.
lew

Post by lew »

Awesome! It's certainly a cool and versatile little cartridge.
Azrckcrawler

Post by Azrckcrawler »

I am a big fan. I really like the reduced recoil over my old 308, availability of cheap blaster ammo (wolf) and the biggest plus is you can use an existing built AR lower. My 24" barreled upper has turned in sub moa groups at 100. Here's one of my load development targets from last year, 95yds, 123gr AMAX over 27gr AR-Comp. Outer circle is the 1st 4 shots, inner is the second.

Just built a 12" pistol a few months back. A quick sighting in at 70 yds using a foam block, red dot and 6x magnifier netted me this (Wolf on left, Hornady Black on right). I need to get out my rifle rest and see what the pistol can do.
Attachments
65GPistol.jpg
9-9-17 65Grendel at 95yds-1.jpg