Interested in building a 9mm AR

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
shawnff
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Interested in building a 9mm AR

Post by shawnff »

My advice is not to, save up and buy a gun designed for 9mm.

knockonit

Post by knockonit »

hmm, i have quite a few i have assembled that run like a timex, and many thousands of rounds down them, only issue with any was the early bcg, originals weren't ramped, the newer ones are, and wow what a difference, now the .45 acp might be the issue, still trying to get one to run reliably
good luck, assembly, or build, helps in making one extremely familar with the platform
Rj
sharp

Post by sharp »

AZM9 wrote: March 10th, 2021, 12:16 am Interested in a 9mm AR but it’s tougher finding a 9mm upper and lower. Any suggestions.
I've got a Quarter Circle 10 upper/lower receiver set I'd sell. I bought new over a year ago and have decided to go a different direction so I never built it up. Here's a link to mfg website for the receiver:
https://www.quartercircle10.com/ranger- ... r-set.html
It's the version that accepts Glock 9mm magazines.

I'm located in the Prescott / Prescott Valley area, let me know if you're interested.
Pscipio03

Post by Pscipio03 »

CMMG Banshee upper
Hahn Precision AR to 9mm adapter
Colt style mags (or Uzi converted for bolt hold open)
Sub caliber buffer
Should be good to go. Built one years ago on an existing SBR lower and it's got a bunch of rounds through it with no issues.
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

If you're wanting something with the familiar controls of the AR, it makes sense.

But the aftermarket for the Ruger PC is growing pretty quick so I decided to go that way instead.
Harley66

Post by Harley66 »

Older post here but still good info. I am also wanting to build a 9mm AR. Looking at the Aero Precision 9mm. Anyone here have this
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

I have since this thread began, completed at least a half dozen builds, of 9mm ar, short, long, ect. using dedicated glock, colt, and or adpaters from many different makers, all run, bcg is inportant, buffer weight can be important, most have a carbine std buffer and spring,
some adjustment of the mag well adapter does come up, magazine is a big issue, as a lot of after market glock mags need a little rub a dub to get them to fit correctly, ets mags are ok, kci work well, and of course real glock, also have colt mags, ets mags, ect.
all the builds run well and fast, i shoot reloads of 115 gr, so, at a hundy, you definetly do not wanna be close, they are tack drivers.

now to the .45, a couple friends and i have fought getting this down, different bcg, buffers, springs ect. some of the first bcg as with the ar9 had issues, some of the bcg were awesome right out of the gate, we struggled with buffer weight, i purchased some solid tungsten with intend to add weight to th bcg, but in end discovered it was mostly the bcg had issues.
we have several bolts, tac fire, sterns, and cna't remember the other, the tac fire first gen is the best bolt, but its no longer availalbe, second gen is ok, works well, sterns does ok, again,
it boiled down to bolt speed, had to slow it down so it didn't fail to feed.
finally, stars lined up, both ynotaz, and i got them to run, still have one bcg that will not run in some uppers, haven't got that one fingered, but work in progress,
presently, i have a tac fire , and dang it another bcg from optics i purchased that runs in any upper, pushing 230 gr .45, and again, at a hundy its a tac driver and reliable.

i'm not working on getting one to run with the folding ar stock adapter, so............we will see, we are back to bolt weight and spring, i'm confident it will come together and a folder will emerge. issue with folder is always the bcg, and ability to put adapter into, so.....excited to have all the parts show up, and when weather and im' back healthy, its gonna happen
Rj
9x19mm
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by 9x19mm »

I don't have an Aero lower but they should be good to go. I have seen plenty of others reccomend
it elsewhere. I was just running the piss out of my 9mm over the holidays. Fun factor is off the charts.
Harley66

Post by Harley66 »

9x19, thanks for your thoughts, I built a Aero AR 5.56 last year, great company and great quality. That build has just sat in the safe (think it needs a new home?)
Looking forward to the 9mm build. I also reload and looking forward to ‘Fun’
Aero is also looking at offering the same gun in 40,10mm & 45
AchillesKobus

Post by AchillesKobus »

I love my 9mm AR. it uses colt mages. to be honest it is the only AR I shoot anymore.
WyattBurp

Post by WyattBurp »

I built a 9mm Ar carbine and 9mm Ar pistol. At the time there wasn't very many 9mm AR dedicated lowers to be had so i used the conversion kit. It takes 30 round colt mags and drums. What i like about the conversion kit is i can always easily switch it back to 556 or whatever. Yes you would change the upper as well for the caliber you are using. They had been very reliable and not one FTF.
Last edited by WyattBurp on July 21st, 2022, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

9x19mm wrote: January 5th, 2022, 6:43 am I don't have an Aero lower but they should be good to go. I have seen plenty of others reccomend
it elsewhere.
Mine is Aero lower and upper. I shoot L/H, and get NO bonks in the face...should ambi function matter to anyone that's shopping for one, LOL. :D