1903 a3

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
LapElectricInAz
ArizonaShooting.org Member

1903 a3

Post by LapElectricInAz »

I’m thinking of picking one up anybody got any pointers what to keep away from

Crippledtrigger

Re: 1903 a3

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Lobo might
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

hmm, i'll have to look around and see if i have a spare to add to downsizing sale, hmmm. memories hard thing sometime
Rj
samnev

Post by samnev »

I would stay away from any one that has been sanded down or doesn't have proof marks. Especially the ones on the underside of the stock.Also look for bore condition to make sure your getting one with a unpitted bore. If you run across a Smith Carona make sure it doesn't have a R stamped on the underside of the bolt. Also look to see if it has its original barrel.
There are several good articles on line which I would familiarize yourself with before you buy.
LapElectricInAz

Post by LapElectricInAz »

I have done quite a bit of research I know some of the older models have bolts that aren’t up to par what today’s ammunition I just figured this would be a great form to get informed
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

If the bolt handle is swept back slightly, it is correct nickel steel and either original or a proper replacement.

If the receiver is marked National Ordnance or Santa Fe Arms, walk away. They're a postwar cast receiver workup.
I have seen several hold up well over the years.
But for the prices people want from them, you'd be happier with a Remington or Corona.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

apolgies, i do not have one available as of yet, in future thought, best ofluck finding one
rj
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

It would be worth looking at enough pictures on forums and gunbroker to see what an unmolested example looks like.

I think supposedly the "scant" stocks were all period or later replacements, not original from factory. So may want to avoid that.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Just saw this post. Not sure how i missed it.
A couple tips and information

1: avoid springfields under 800,000 and rock islands under 285,507. This is where the heat treatment failure was found.

2: scant stocks were a rebuild and will only be found as an original rebuild on 1903 versions. They will not fit an 03a3 and were not used except on existing 03a3 springfields and they will be marked with a small s. C stocks were used only on 03a4 versions when new and when found on another 03 version will have been done during a rebuild.

3: there is no need to avoid r marked parts, even on a smith corona. Most 03 rifles would have seen service of some sort during ww1 and into ww2 especially 1903 versions. The r mark only indicates it is a remington part. Most 03s unless you are lucky will be mix masters as they were being reordinanced for issue not collecting. This also happened at times because when troops were cleaning many times parts were all piled into a solvent bin for soaking. The 03 is very versatile this part fits every other 03 rifle part. No need to worry UNLESS you are buying one stated to be all original matching then parts should not differ. However smith corona used a lot of remington parts when building rifles for the military. Remember they were a typewriter company pressed into wartime service not an arms manufacturer originally

A rifle which has ping marks on the receiver near the serial is most likely a marine rifle as that is how they marked them as completed in reordinance. I am unaware of any indicator marks used by the army and have never come across any. Also most marine rifles will have a hole left side of chamber called a hatcher hole this was for venting gases out the side. 1903 rifles over the heat numbers are safe with modern ammunition baring any maintenance problems or miscare by previous owners. Modern ammunition is not significantly different in pressure from standard military 06 issue of the day. I would shoot hot loads but i dont shoot hot loads out of anything.

4: as mentioned national ordinance and such are post war civilian builds. They are generally safe to shoot but bear little if any collector value. Simply put they are a nice hunting or shooting rifle. Postwar there was a glut of parts due to the transition from 03 style to garands. The parts were obtained by 3rd party vendors who put them together for sales. Most are decent but of no interest to my collection.

5: as far as markings, i would hesitate to give advice on markings sight unseen. The stamps used have been heavily forged and you can actually buy very good copies online which are very difficult to detect in photos.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 03. Let me know if i can help
bldr60

Post by bldr60 »

I don't have a 03 and no plans on getting one but I enjoyed reading that post.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Great post Lobo.
The OP also needs to decide if he wants just a shooter or a collector piece. The spread between the 2 can be quite dramatic.
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

I’ve got one and a bunch of extra parts I need to put together, was given all this about two year ago, and it’s collecting dust.
Wish I knew how, anyone out there know a gunsmith that’ll build it for me?

Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Where are you. You dont need a smith for that
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

Florence.
Probably not, but honestly, I think I’m out of my league on it.
The receiver the barrel is on is a National Ordnance that someone drilled and tapped 2 holes in, presumably for a scope.
I want to put the barrel on one of the other receivers then finish it.
I could do the rest, but rebarreling and headspacing with one of the bolts is above my knowledge curve on those.
Vinnie B

Post by Vinnie B »

I have always wanted one too but have never added one to my collection. Thanks alot, now you have me looking at them again