Custom AR ?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
redj
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Custom AR ?

Post by redj »

I see adds all the time where people are selling a " Custom AR " .
Then when you look at the add it is nothing more than a reciever and upper that someone bought off the internet with a bunch of other parts and then cobbled together an AR .
Then they call it a custom.
Sorry but buying parts anyone can get and putting them together does not make a custom.

Do people even know what a custom gun is anymore ?

Ballistic Therapy

Re: Custom AR ?

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

redj wrote: February 20th, 2021, 7:09 pm
From what I have seen lately , I would have to say no.
Especially when it comes to the younger crowd.
They seem to think a fancy scope and light makes a custom.
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

So what does constitute a "Custom AR"?
redj

Post by redj »

RufusXG wrote: February 20th, 2021, 8:11 pm So what does constitute a "Custom AR"?
Some customized work would help.
All I am saying is that putting together a bunch or parts that anyone can get is not a custom.
Back in the day , that would be considered a parts gun.
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

Honestly I don't think it's a very relevant term for an AR since it's so easy for anyone to make numerous modifications. Calling them custom irritates me but nowhere near as much as choosing not to identify the origin of all the piece parts.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

RufusXG wrote: February 20th, 2021, 8:32 pm Calling them custom irritates me but nowhere near as much as choosing not to identify the origin of all the piece parts.
That's probably because they are the cheapest parts they could find.
I had a thread about getting an AR pistol awhile ago and everyone said I should put one together and how much cheaper it was.
Then they put up links to the cheapest parts they could find saying " there are only a couple places that make the parts so they are all the same."
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

"...nothing more than a reciever and upper that someone bought off the internet with a bunch of other parts and then cobbled together an AR"...

This is literally the definition of custom.

I wouldn't consider using the cheapest/vanilla parts from a bin to be a "custom" AR...this is just "assembled".

Now, I would consider the rifles I have built to be "custom". When the sum of all the parts is much more than what an off-the-shelf model runs, it's custom. Larue this and Geissele that quickly adds up to $2K in a hurry.

You seem to have a pretty strict interpretation of a broad word. Does it need to be platted and chromed before you accept it as "custom"?
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

Reminds me of a boss I once had. He used the word custom all the time, but never in a positive sense. If he said your work was looking "custom", he meant like an 89 civic with chrome rims, a huge ridiculous spoiler, fart can exhaust, and a rattle can paint job haha.
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

redj wrote: February 20th, 2021, 7:09 pm I see adds all the time where people are selling a " Custom AR " .
Then when you look at the add it is nothing more than a reciever and upper that someone bought off the internet with a bunch of other parts and then cobbled together an AR .
Then they call it a custom.
Sorry but buying parts anyone can get and putting them together does not make a custom.

I don't get bothered by the little things in life, like descriptive words in ads.
Last edited by Rock Hardson on February 21st, 2021, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: February 20th, 2021, 8:45 pm That's probably because they are the cheapest parts they could find.
Or they have no idea where the parts came from but they "know" it's a "$1700 AR".
Robert1234

Post by Robert1234 »

It's an AR15, the Lego version of a gun. How "custom" can it be?

On the other hand, one could argue that all of them are custom,, and if all AR15s are "custom", no AR15s are truly custom.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Robert1234 wrote: February 21st, 2021, 6:37 pm It's an AR15, the Lego version of a gun. How "custom" can it be?

On the other hand, one could argue that all of them are custom,, and if all AR15s are "custom", no AR15s are truly custom.
I think most people would consider any AR that was something other than an offering from a major manufacturer's factory (Bushmaster, Daniel Defense, Colt, etc.) to be "custom".
What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by What »

Custom is broad and easily to identify base of your experience with custom.

Remove and install bathroom cabinet with vanity from store may be custom to most. It's still mass produced.

Cabinet built to size and granite cut to fit. It's not mass produced but the parts itself are. Just require a bit hands on work to make the part to fit.

Growing tree and rock on top to carve them into cabinet and rock top. I'd say that's as custom as custom get.

I'd be glad to see these custom are just bolt on vs attempt of bad fabrication. Its matter of whether thread are ok or cross threaded.
redj

Post by redj »

If it is just a bunch of parts that anyone can go to the store or on line and buy , then screw or snap together , it is not a custom. I don't care how much you paid for the parts.

When I see an add for a " custom AR " I don't even look at it. I already know what it is.
It is an AR someone cobbled together at home.

The word custom , when it comes to guns has been lost by todays so called gun wizards.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

redj wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 5:18 am If it is just a bunch of parts that anyone can go to the store or on line and buy , then screw or snap together , it is not a custom. I don't care how much you paid for the parts.

When I see an add for a " custom AR " I don't even look at it. I already know what it is.
It is an AR someone cobbled together at home.

The word custom , when it comes to guns has been lost by todays so called gun wizards.
Please enlighten us all...who makes a “custom” AR, in your opinion...