Savage's new straight pull action

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Savage's new straight pull action

Post by Suck My Glock »

And now the video is back. WTF?

Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

yup, looks like it's released on their website

savagearms.com/impulse

MSRP 1449, was really hoping for a 7mm Mag offering but it looks like I'll have to get by with a 300 win mag.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

brandyspaw wrote: January 4th, 2021, 4:18 pm While its interesting I'm reminded of the commentary Colonel Coopers made about D/A autoloader handguns. That they are an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem. If I needed a a quicker bolt action rifle I think I'd just as soon use an autoloading rifle.
I guess it does eliminate the bolt-scope clearance problem that is encountered on some rifles.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Solution looking for a problem. But, that's the great thing about the gun industry...no shortage of customers with large wallets looking for the next shinny object to grab their attention.

Expect to see more of these "accidentally leaked" videos. Last week it was the KelTec P50, this week its this Savage. SHOT was supposed to be in two weeks, and this week is traditionally when companies start to tease new products in anticipation. No SHOT this year, so we might see new items "leaked" daily.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

QuietM4 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:51 pm Solution looking for a problem. But, that's the great thing about the gun industry...no shortage of customers with large wallets looking for the next shinny object to grab their attention.

Expect to see more of these "accidentally leaked" videos. Last week it was the KelTec P50, this week its this Savage. SHOT was supposed to be in two weeks, and this week is traditionally when companies start to tease new products in anticipation. No SHOT this year, so we might see new items "leaked" daily.
So basically people who have some disposable income who want something neat are bad? I guess it sucks to be poor.

People who say "solution looking for a problem" are the worst of the gun world. Can't have anything disrupting that fragile reality that only you are allowed to enjoy. I swear everything that isn't a glock nowadays is a solution looking for a problem. :icon-rolleyes:
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Watched the video and gotta say I'm impressed by the outta the box thinking.
I have an older Mauser model 96 American straight pull . Awkward mostly due to the forward bolt location and frankly it never blew anybody's dress up .
I never hunted it so I have no real valid thing to share about it.
I was expecting a rehash and re warming of much the same rifle but it "taint".
Lots of very fresh ideas going on with this and will be interested to see how it matures.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Solar_Empire wrote: January 4th, 2021, 11:46 pm
QuietM4 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:51 pm Solution looking for a problem. But, that's the great thing about the gun industry...no shortage of customers with large wallets looking for the next shinny object to grab their attention.

So basically people who have some disposable income who want something neat are bad? I guess it sucks to be poor.

People who say "solution looking for a problem" are the worst of the gun world. Can't have anything disrupting that fragile reality that only you are allowed to enjoy. I swear everything that isn't a glock nowadays is a solution looking for a problem. :icon-rolleyes:
Nowhere in my post did I say people with disposable income are bad. There are dozens of new products every year that are improvements upon an existing design, and are real solutions to existing problems.

Is your bolt action too slow? Train to be more efficient/faster...or train to be a better shot so you hit your target the first time. Or spend $1,100 on a new rifle that *MIGHT save you 1/2 of a second on a reload. Or buy a semi-auto.

The only truly new part of this rifle is the ability to swap the bolt handle around, which is cool.

I like Glocks. I like my P365 and P320 more. Plenty of room for new products, just don’t act like they invented the wheel.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

"But, that's the great thing about the gun industry...no shortage of customers with large wallets looking for the next shinny object to grab their attention."
I don't know how that doesn't sound condescending but hey, what do I know.

"Is your bolt action too slow? Train to be more efficient/faster...or train to be a better shot so you hit your target the first time. Or spend $1,100 on a new rifle that *MIGHT save you 1/2 of a second on a reload. Or buy a semi-auto."
Where in any post did I say ANYTHING about it being more efficient/faster? Of course Savage says that it's called a marketing pitch. I just like different mechanical elements when it comes to guns. I also own a Walther CCP for its gas delay blowback system. Going to ding me for that too? As for the cost let me see, $3,000 STARTING price for a Euro brand straight pull or ~$1,100 American made? Hmm...

"Plenty of room for new products, just don’t act like they invented the wheel."
Apparently not, given the first sentence you responded to this thread with. What post am I acting like they invented the wheel? This is the first real US made straight pull rifle that isn't a neutered semi auto action. I carry a Swiss K11 as a wilderness gun and love it to death, I'm just excited about the prospect of retiring the old girl and getting some new blood in. Sue me.

I get you don't like it and couldn't care less, and I'm not trying to be an @$$ but honestly coming in and crapping on us for showing some interest really is uncalled for. You could have just come in and said, "neat, but it isn't for me. I'll stick to the conventional system for my bolt guns thanks." and have been done with it.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

@Solar_Empire

I've worked in the gun industry for more than 20 years. I've been to more Industry shows than I can count. I've seen hundreds of new, innovative products...that don't go anywhere. That's just how the gun industry works...any consumer product industry, for that matter. New products keep the market engine running. I applaud Savage, and all companies, for innovating and designing new and unique products. Some float, most sink.

This is not a unique product. As yourself and others have pointed out, this is simply a copy of what European rifle makers have been doing for decades. It is simply the first time an American company has been able to figure out a way to do it cheaply and bring it to a US market. I'm sure they will sell some, but talk about a niche product. Never have I heard "Boy, this new Remington 700 is a great rifle, but I sure do wish I could just pull the bolt straight back instead of up and back...I'd buy that for a dollar."

I don't know if you have ever been to a SHOT Show, or an NRA show for that matter, but if you have think back...how many brand new products did you see that are nowhere to be found today? If you've never been to a SHOT Show, the answer is most of them.

I think the new Savage is a cool product...but does it really fill a need that isn't already being filled by every other bolt action on the market? Never the less, they will sell some rifles. But, I guarantee you, that within 5 years they will discontinue it. But that is a good thing...constant innovation is what drives the firearm industry. Maybe it will spark an idea in another firearms engineer's head, and maybe that idea will be something truly ground breaking.

I'm not attacking you, or anyone else on this board. This thread doesn't need to go the way most other threads inevitably do.

Am I cynical about it...absolutely. I've been in the industry too long not to be.

Opinions are like assholes; we've all got them....
zold

Post by zold »

I like the design and hope that it sticks around for a while. The ability to have one action and stock setup work for both L and R handed folks is niche, but cool. Is it a million times better than a Rem 700? Nope. Is it cool enough for me to use it as an excuse to buy a new rifle sometime over the next few years? Hope so.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

It looks like they rolled everything out on the website. There's even a review or two out now.

The only three models they have on the website are a little hefty at ~8.5 or more, but they all have medium to heavy barrels, ACCUFIT/ACCUSTOCK stocks which will all bulk the weight up some.

They did confirm they use standard 110 barrels and AICS magazines which I only see as a good thing.

I'm still gonna wait and see, but if they drop a sporter barreled, plain stock model I might be in for one.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

"Solution looking for a problem"

maybe we just don't realize what the "problem" was....

The problem was likely not an engineering problem: "how do we get a Rifle Looney in a Texas deer stand to open his bolt action rifle faster"

The problem was a likely a marketing problem: "how do we get a Rifle Looney in a Texas deer stand to open his wallet faster"
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Bill Poole wrote: January 13th, 2021, 4:31 pm "Solution looking for a problem"

The problem was a likely a marketing problem: "how do we get a Rifle Looney in a Texas deer stand to open his wallet faster"
This is what drives most of the firearms industry, or any industry for that matter. It's called Capitalism.
mongo45acp

Post by mongo45acp »

Interesting that you mention Col. Cooper. He was a fan of the Blaser rifles particularly for the "glass rod breaking" trigger.

Watch yer 6!
Dave
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I'd bite.
Something new to fiddle with and tune. Keep my hands busy and outta trouble.