What's your go-to medium game hunting cartridge?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Hammer 35
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: What's your go-to medium game hunting cartridge?

Post by Hammer 35 »

mtptwo wrote: December 18th, 2020, 10:36 am 6.5 Grendel. Plenty big enough for deer, and it works in ARs with a new barrel and mag follower.
Have you shot much game with it? It's tempting to pick up a new upper for my lower since it already has a nice trigger on it. I like the idea of 6ARC too.

Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

Johnny's Reloading Bench has a fairly extensive playlist on 6.5 Grendel reloading and performance. Here's one on performance with deer:

Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Old Jeff H wrote: December 18th, 2020, 2:10 pm Johnny's Reloading Bench has a fairly extensive playlist on 6.5 Grendel reloading and performance. Here's one on performance with deer:

I'll definitely take some time and watch that later.

On paper the 6 5G should be "plenty" for the game I'm chasing, but it's typically not much more weight to heft a 308 sized rifle, if any.

It's probably the best thing going on an AR platform however.
TomI

Post by TomI »

I think if I had to choose one caliber for medium game, it would probably be the .243, if you throw in bigger game, I would up it to the .308 or 30.06, but the .243 will do the job just fine on all of the game you mentioned
Stray Horse

Post by Stray Horse »

I use mostly the 25-06. I also like the 6mm Remington.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Well, I liked the Browning AB3 alot but wasn't real thrilled about the 300wm chambering. I could have loaded it down, but that's always a crapshoot as to wether it'll be accurate where I want it.

Managed to trade straight across for the same model in equal condition but in 7mm Rem Mag. Flatter shooting and less recoil? Yes please. This model even has the BOSS muzzle break to help tame it even more. First choice for chambering would have been 280AI, but the 7Mag is practically the same.

Now my to do list is get my new Leupold mounted up and zeroed, work up a good load (I'm thinking a 140gr SPBT for general purpose hunting) and go perforate something.

Now
Ace22
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Ace22 »

Hopefully ill be hunting deer, Yote and javelina with my 25 Creedmoor this year shooting the 131 gr Ace bullets. In the process of getting the parts together for a light weight 280 ai build for my do it all rifle
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

Hammer 35 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 5:18 pm I'm itching for a new rifle, mostly for coyote, deer and javalina. Figure if I ever decide to go chasing elk I'll get a dedicated rifle if needed.

As much maligned as the ol' standby 270win is, I'm heavily considering one. I think the 280AI sounds like it'd be just the ticket for a do-all though. Not a whole lot of rifles chambered in it though. 7mag is very similar, just a little more oomph though. Plenty of guns in 270 or 7mag. The 270 just doesn't have the twist for the heavies I like (but don't really need) and the 7mag isn't as cheap to handload for, the 280AI fits right in that niche though, cheap to load, and heavy bullet friendly.

All that being said, what's your guys go-to's?
What maximum ranges are you considering? All the calibers you mention are elk calibers IMO. If you're considering a dedicated elk gun, I'd lean toward something with lighter recoil for smaller critters. Unless you're looking at >400 yard kills...

For me: 223 for varmints and javes, 308 deer and elk.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Right now, my max range, in good conditions, settled in with a bipod and a bedded down target with a chance to tag it with my rangefinder would be about 300 I'd say. That's only if all the stars align.

Detract distance depending on how far from perfect each variable is.

I've gotten rid of the Abolts, and am dedicating my trusty old 308 Remington 700 to a purely hunting rifle. I've already got a few good loads dialed in for it with 168gr SMK's and 165gr SGK's. Without rebarreling and restocking it wouldn't make a great range toy with its sporter barrel and blind mag. As it is it's a great hunting rifle for anything I'd chase after so I'm leaving well enough alone.

With the cash from dumping the Abolts (which were nice rifles, just didn't really fall in love with them) I picked up a turnkey dedicated range toy. A Savage 110 Varmint 223 for long range sessions.

Best of all, I have plenty of ammunition and supplies to keep them fed for at least a few years.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

I like the various 6.5's depending on needed energy/range...Grendel, Creedmoor, and PRC.
Edge

Post by Edge »

Vinnie B

Post by Vinnie B »

For the last 20 years or so my go to for deer has been the .257 Weatherby. Before that I always used a 243
Joelafives

Post by Joelafives »

Always liked my .280 Rem. 7mm bullet ballistics and range of weights from 115 to 180
https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/ ... rformance/
marlin39a

Post by marlin39a »

Played with most cartridges over the years. I now go for .308 and .223 for all my needs.
shawnff

Post by shawnff »

My 6.5 grendel has taken 5 deer so far, but last year a buddy used my 7mm mag of a whitetail at 798 yards, one shot kill perfect broad side shot.