What do you like in 22LR rifle?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
olemal
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: What do you like in 22LR rifle?

Post by olemal »

+10/22 most aftermarket parts and is a blast to shoot. TCR22 if you dont want to upgrade, its less compatible with Ruger aftermarket parts. The speedloaders you find for it is more like a thumb saver than a speedloader.

I love my lever action but wife has not touched it since we got the TCR22.

Robert1234

Post by Robert1234 »

Have 10/22s, set up as target style with scope, and Steel Challenge with pistol grip & red dot.

Since I built a .22 AR, the 10/22s haven't been touched. The AR is lighter, cooler looking, works just as well, and is a lot of fun to shoot. Built on a Polymer 80 lower so it's light, but most parts are true AR parts, exception being the barrel, bolt assembly, and the upper receiver which is from an AR9.
300mag

Post by 300mag »

Marlin model 60 rifle has been around for quite some time now
Brlux

Post by Brlux »

Don't know that I have shot a .22 rifle that I did not like, Well a friend had a Henry AR-7 survival rifle that I did not care for.

The TC/R22 is in my opinion an excellent value and a great take on the 10/22. Some of the things it diverts from Ruger on like the magazine and the trigger group with the last round bolt hold open are nice but don't stop you from using Ruger parts if you want some specific 10/22 magazine or trigger system. I really like the milled scope mount in the receiver, with a good peep iron sights, 1/2-28 Threaded barrel, and the stock is a very good being a stripped down version of Magpul Hunter.

I also really enjoy the M&P 15-22. Feel and ergos of an AR but runs on .22 and is a bit lighter then most ARs.

As an example that it is hard to go wrong on a .22 I have a $99 Walmart Savage 62 (really a renamed 64) with a $25 Tasco 4x32 scope. I put in a rifle rack on the back of the ATV when out exploring. It gets filthy and trail rashed. But I always have it with me on trips and though it is about lowest cost example of a functional firearm I have tone of fun with it because I am not afraid to mess it up and it is always there when I didn't expect to need it.

Lately I have also come back to enjoying simple bolt actions, they don't eat much ammo and that comes in really handy when taking others out shooting, Your friends and family have no comprehension of the dollar value expended on pinking trips.

I don't have any nice bolt guns but that CZ-457 Scout has been calling my name even if it is meant to be a youth gun. I am a real sucker for guns that have irons sights and scope mounting options. Use a scope with a quick release rings and you can easily go back and forth between an optic or irons based on the situation or how you feel.

Don't even get me started on .22 pistols.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

I think you are all missing the best part of owning 22 rifles. And that is owning several. I am of the same mindset of those here that suggest you buy orphaned rifles. A good bolt action Winchester 52 is an amazing rifle as well as an older Anschutz or CZ. A good lever action 22 is fun and teaches one new and interesting skills. I have shot several Henry 22 levers and they are fun to shoot. I also have a tube feed speed loader which if you shoot a lot makes loading a joy. I also own a couple of highly modified 10/22’s which shoot half to one MOA all day with no wind at a 100 yards. One is a lightweight model and the other a heavy bench type. All using Kidd parts to mod the rifles. So many choices of parts to accurize and personalize the 10/22 including beautiful different color laminate stocks from Boyds. If you want some more ideas I suggest you go to RimFireCentral.com. Every type of 22 rifle ever made is covered in great depth. But for me the ultimate 10/22 threads will show you the vast amount of mods that can be done to a 10/22.

The 22 rifle I find most fun to shoot is a good slide action or pump action rifle. Mine is an old Stevens model 1925 takedown model with octagon barrel. But there are always nice examples of older Winchester pumps at the local gun shows.

I heard Henry and Rossi are coming out with new pump action rifles if they have not already done so. Take your pick, bolt, semi, or slide actions. You probably should own one of each at a minimum. :D
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

A iron sighted CZ 452 is a wonder. Effortlessly letting tiny 40grain pellets fly and strike a steel plate 200yds away with a diminutive ping.

Scoped they are even more fun.

Single shots are also fun. Taking a cricket out to 200 and regularly hitting home makes it a lot of fun.
A Shultz & Larson & Suhl single shots are also fun and easy-ish on the wallet.
Yugmoto1

Post by Yugmoto1 »

I like a lot of different .22s that I have, and rarely sell or trade one unless to get another one. I have old ones and new. Bolt and semi, and I sometimes get to shoot my cousin's lever action. But my favorite ones say CZ on them. I'm not really a brand loyalty guy, but they are tough to beat for price and performance and they are a quality item that my sons will have forever.
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

I like the Remington 550-1 (I have 2). They're a tube-fed semi-auto that'll shoot short, long & long rifle. Mix 'em up in the tube; it won't care.

-WRM
dustmaker

Post by dustmaker »

Marlin model 39- .22 lever action along with my Ruger Single six. Best rimfire combination I can recommend.

dusty
428cj

Post by 428cj »

Look for a old Winchester Model 74. Fed by a 14-round magazine in the buttstock, the Winchester Model 74 features a top-side cross bolt safety. If you fine one in good shape, the are a great little rifle for the money.
https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial ... iew/384281
Bear6462

Post by Bear6462 »

Main desire with .22lr rifle, I just want it to shoot whatever ammo I’ve got on available (whether brick or premium).
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

I like them all, I must have at least 15 .22 rifles, from single shot bolts, to pumps, 4 different set up 10-22s, to S&W M&P 15-22 rifles and one of their new pistols.

Humm, I need a lever action now.
oldslurrydog1

Post by oldslurrydog1 »

I have a Marlin 22 Mag lever action, that was my dad's, that's a tac driver. I also like my Ruger 10/22, that is also a tac driver, but a bit cheaper to shoot. :)
Joelafives

Post by Joelafives »

Hammer 35 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 9:09 am I wouldn't mind a lever gun in 22.

... or a bolt gun

... or a semi...

As long as they're accurate and reliable.
I think I'm most interested in a Henry lever or maybe a Savage bolt gun. The lever actions are just plain fun, but those Savages are accurate for the price.

A 10/22 is hard to beat for general purpose though. You can trick it out to make just about anyone happy.
What you don't like Pump Actions ! With great guns like the Winchester model 61, 62, 1890 or 1906
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Joelafives wrote: March 5th, 2021, 7:40 pm
Hammer 35 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 9:09 am I wouldn't mind a lever gun in 22.

... or a bolt gun

... or a semi...

As long as they're accurate and reliable.
I think I'm most interested in a Henry lever or maybe a Savage bolt gun. The lever actions are just plain fun, but those Savages are accurate for the price.

A 10/22 is hard to beat for general purpose though. You can trick it out to make just about anyone happy.
What you don't like Pump Actions ! With great guns like the Winchester model 61, 62, 1890 or 1906
I do!

And single shots!

If it goes bang, I'm for it!

There's just not a whole lot of 22 pumps out there in relation to levers, bolts and semi autos.