What do you like in 22LR rifle?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
HK45C
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: What do you like in 22LR rifle?

Post by HK45C »

My 10/22 with the Choate folding stock.

needsmostuff
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by needsmostuff »

Always had a thing for fat barrel peep sight 22 rifles.
Old guy eyes don't work well with peeps any more but I still love 'um .
KoaTico

Post by KoaTico »

It is hard to beat a 10/22. All around great 22 rifle with so many options for customization.
martyd

Post by martyd »

Hi,
I have owned almost all the standard production 22LR rifles over my lifetime, I am 73.
I am going to omit the collector Win & Rem rifles which if you can afford one, get it, all of them shoot very accurately. I give my opinion on the newer rifles.
1 - Browing 22LR auto loader. For some reason the design of the stock to rifle fit it is difficult for me to use the iron sights, just does not fit my body. Scope is ok. Nice rifle.
2 - Henry and other lever actions. They are easy to shoot and tend to be rugged.
3 - Remington 552 autoloader and 752 pumps from the 1960's era are fantastic and extremely accurate. I wish I had the autoloader back which I was talked into selling 6 years ago. Just a passing note: Depending on the year of manufacture they did not have serial numbers.
3 - Ruger 10/22 good average use rifle. However, now there are so many custom modifications available the rifle can be made very accurate and is used in most competition shoots. I currently have one which was modified for me to shoot silhouette. One down side is that it is difficult to remove a jammed cartridge.
4 - Remington 66 is a really great shooter and is rugged. The action does not need oiling because of its design. The down side is the metal action cover was never properly deep blued and gets surface rust really easily, even in Arizona. On thing which is really nice, do not know why, but I ware glasses and I can use the iron sights on this rifle without any problem. On all other rifles I need a scope. I have one of these and love shooting it. I do not care for the detachable magazine version, prefer the stock load (like a Browning). Plus they are retaliative inexpensive.

Off all the guns I have owned and shot over the years from 17 Rem through 458 Win Mag the 22 LR is the most fun to shoot and my favorite.
Marty
McKnight55

Post by McKnight55 »

As far as basic , easy to find affordably used , universally fun plinkers , you really can't beat a Marlin mod. 60. Often around $100 in decent shape.
The lips on the mags suck but it is a nice rifle.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

McKnight55 wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 10:41 am
As far as basic , easy to find affordably used , universally fun plinkers , you really can't beat a Marlin mod. 60. Often around $100 in decent shape.
The lips on the mags suck but it is a nice rifle.
Are you thinking 795? The mag fed version of the 60.
samnev

Post by samnev »

STG 44.